Unusual Places to Stay in Norfolk
Norfolk's flat countryside and beautiful coastline make it a great choice for a rural weekend away. Dotted with pretty historic towns and villages there are a number of traditional buildings which have now been turned into hotels. Some of the best are the more unusual buildings which are sure to provide bags of character. From windmills to converted schools, our hotel experts have chosen a select few of the best unusual places to stay in Norfolk. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next trip?
For a coastal stay
- Cley Windmill is (as the name suggests) a windmill, turned B&B, overlooking the marshes of Cley. Rooms aren't enormous but they have bags of character. The nearby beaches are perfect for long blustery walks or for a dip in the summer.
- Chalk and Cheese is a converted school offering charming accommodation with options of either B&B or self-catering cottages and lodges. Interiors are classic, with white on white style highlighting the building's original features. A great base to return to after a day spent rambling.
For a traditional choice
- Byfords is Holt's oldest building and a former ironmongers. Rooms are decorated in a traditional style with sumptuous beds, soft throws and Bang & Olufsen sound systems. A perfect Olde World country stay.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include our list of all the best places to stay in Norfolk or our recommendations for the best hotels on the North Norfolk Coast.
- Browse through our collection of hotels with hot tubs in Norfolk or Norfolk's most romantic hotels or the best country house hotels in Norfolk or hotels with sea views in Norfolk of the best bed and breakfasts in Norfolk.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Cley Windmill Cley-next-the-Sea, Norfolk 9 rooms from £159Birdwatching - For keen ornithologist NWT Cley Marshes Nature Reserve is a wonderful area for spotting all manner of birds.Views - Panoramic views over the salt marshesLocal markets - Just South of the mill are small shops, selling pottery, smoked fish and secondhand books.Fishing - Saltwater Fly Fishing is available nearby, ask the friendly staff for further details.Recommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Chalk & Cheese North Norfolk 6 rooms from £70Local exploring - A characterful and classically British base to explore the pretty Norfolk coast from.Great walks - Find picturesque walking trails starting from nearby the property.Quirky - An experience!Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
A charming Victorian schoolhouse turned B&B, plus self catering cottage and lodges, set on a pretty village green near the Norfolk coast. Brimming with character throughout the rooms are a mix of chintz fabrics, antiques and traditional artwork. Expect hearty breakfasts and superb walking country. See More
Byfords Holt, Norfolk 16 rooms from £155Sights nearby - The famous stately home of Sheringham Park is just a short drive away.Great walks - Peddars Way and the Norfolk Coast Path are popular amongst ramblers.Sailing - Take a boat out in search for whales, seals, dolphins and porpoises.Local markets - Visit Holt's Farmer's Market, held every Saturday.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Holt's oldest building, a former ironmongers, this hotel promises an Olde World country stay. Rooms are decorated in a traditional style with sumptuous beds, soft throws and Bang & Olufsen sound systems. Bathrooms have underfloor heating. A bustling deli and café attracts locals and toasts alike. See More