Search the best hotels in Tallinn
Don't discount Estonia's capital because you don't have any friends who can make personal recommendations about the best places to stay in Tallinn. Our gurus are here to help you find the perfect base from which to explore this most modern city set on top of a medieval one.
Behind the Iron Curtain until 1991, Tallinn has been playing clever catch up since and today's city embraces technology, multicultural five star luxury and clean, but colourful, Scandi lines.
But the forward fashions, bright bistros and hipster nightlife rests on top of the magical, World Heritage-listed Old Town. (This also means there's plenty of variety in our guru's list of the best hotels in Tallinn.)
Opt for choral concerts in wonderful onion domed churches or a rock gig. Spend days perusing galleries or sampling the restaurants, bars and cafes in Kalamaja, Tallinn's trendiest neighbourhood. Visit Peter the Great's Kadriorg Palace or the beach....the choice is endless!
As with many of the old Soviet and Eastern Bloc countries, Estonia is becoming increasingly popular and there are now a raft of low cost airlines who can take you there. So if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Tallinn, we'd suggest you get organised and don't leave it till the last minute!
The Best places to stay in Tallinn
For the city centre
- Where could be more central than the telegraph exchange station? Luxuriously converted, the Telegraaf Hotel has retained its grand marble floors and spacious design. Classical furniture (including numerous four-poster beds) and weighty fabrics make a grand option. And it's the place to stay if you want to be within walking distance of the main sights.
- For inexpensive atmosphere, the Merchant's House Hotel, in the heart of the Old Town, is the property to book. No two of the 37 rooms in this 14th century building are alike, and the charming differences include hand-painted frescoes, original fireplaces and beamed ceilings.
- With just 15 uniquely designed rooms and a lovely courtyard restaurant the Hotel Cru is ideal for couples. The beds are high and large, and the atmosphere is homely and cosy.
- Of the top luxury hotels in Tallinn, the Schlossle Hotel is probably the best one for romance. Converted from three adjoining medieval houses, it's renowned for its welcoming homely atmosphere. Which might be why it's the choice hotel for many politicians, pop stars and even Prince Charles.
For those on a budget
- With 85 rooms priced from around £50 a night the Kreutswald Hotel Tallinn certainly deserves to be on a list of the best hotels for travellers on a budget. That it's a comfy modern offering in an historic old building adds even more value.
For a boutique stay
- Marrying old world charm and modern style Three Sisters Hotel is a luxury boutique choice in the heart of Tallinn.
- Another good choice in this category is the Von Stackelburg Hotel. Here you'll find a lovely combination of period and modern features with exposed stone walls amd pine floors. Plus a charming courtyard, zen spa and atmospheric restaurant.
- The Hotel St Petersbourg has a charming restaurant serving excellent local cuisine and an array of vodkas
- The L‘Arancia restaurant housed in the Savoy Boutique Hotel serves up exemplary mediterranean cuisine
For an apartment
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner, booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to Tallinn Airport, a convenient 4km from the city centre.
- Balti jaam is the main train station with good connections across Estonia as well as internationally.
- Best time to visit - mid June to the end of August brings the warmest weather, Autumn offers bursts of colour and winter can reach temperatures well below freezing (minus 15–20°C) but the iced lakes and snowy surrounds are undeniably beautiful.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Tallinn.
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in neighbouring Latvia's capital Riga.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tallinn
Best Hotels in Tallinn
Kreutzwald Hotel Tallinn Tallinn 74 rooms from AU$121Value chic - A chic choice, right in the heart of old Tallinn, with spa services and a fantastic restaurant- for a reasonable price.Great walks - Wander the picturesque streets of Tallinn's old town and get a feel for this historic city.Sights nearby - Close to the Estonian National Library, a beautiful builing, well worth checking out.Romantic - Good for couples.
Uniquestay's newest offering. An ultra modern hotel that caters to business visitors, as well as those pleasure seekers who like to visit a spa, a gym, a sauna, or a solarium while exploring a city. A great Brazilian restaurant, extensive conference facilities and a central location. A great find. See More
Merchant‘s House Hotel Tallinn 37 rooms from AU$147City Style - A historic property with uber modern interiors in an excellent central locationSights nearby - In close proximity to many sights including Town Hall SquareBoutiqueRestaurant - Recommended.
Medieval merchant house at the heart of Old Town with oodles of atmospheric charm. Interiors are beautifully juxtaposed with white washed walls set against clean modern furniture. large bathrooms with freestanding baths. Lovely restaurant and an ice bar for evening entertainment. A great choice. See More
The von Stackelberg Hotel Tallinn Tallinn 43 rooms from AU$170Spa breaks - The hotel contains the exclusive Zen spa merging Asian philosophies with contemporary techniquesLocal exploring - Perfectly located for exploring the Old Town on foot.Great walks - Stroll through the cobbled streets of Tallinn's Old Town also a UNESCO heritage site.Sights nearby - Located at Toompea Hill just a few steps from Toompea Castle and Nevsky Cathedral.
Estonian style meets modern minimalism with great results. Sophisticated, but warm rooms with all the mod cons - pine floors, open brick walls, white curtains, rich furniture, lots of natural light. Lovely restaurant, and summertime courtyard, zen spa, and ample banqueting/conference venues. See More
Savoy Boutique Hotel Tallinn 41 rooms from AU$250Sights nearby - Just 300m from Town Hall squareRestaurant - Recommended.BoutiqueTraditional
Hotel St Petersbourg Tallinn 27 rooms from AU$228City StyleRestaurant - Enjoy either Estonian or Russian cuisine at the two onsite restaurantsSights nearby - Located in the heart of Tallinn's Old TownLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Fantastic boutique hotel in the style of a Russian merchant's residence. Luxurious rooms and suites have an eclectic mix of faux fur throws, designer furnishings, and all the modern luxuries. A charming restaurant serves excellent local cuisine and an array of vodkas. Romantic, also family friendly. See More
Schlossle Hotel Tallinn 23 rooms from AU$243City Style - A charming hotel in Tallinn’s Old Town comes with spoiling flourishes such as limo service and sparkling wine with breakfast.Sights nearby - The historic UNESCO heritage site - Tallinn Old Town and it's cafes, restaurants, bars and shops is within a 10 minute walk.Great walks - Walk a section of the fairy tale styled Tallinn Town Wall.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
A small luxury hotel with oodles of charm and character. Frequented by politicians, pop stars, and even Prince Charles. One of Tallin's leading luxury hotels, but on a more intimate and cosy scale. Two fantastic restaurants - one in the stone-vaulted cellar and one in the courtyard. See More
Telegraaf Hotel Tallinn 86 rooms from AU$297Sailing - The hotel organises boat or yacht trips in the Gulf of TallinnSights nearby - Picturesque St. Catherine’s Passage is just moments awaySwimming Pool - Indoor poolSpaRecommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Classical grandeur in a former telegraph exchange station. Chequered marble floors, rich fabrics, classical furniture - everything in grand proportions. Rooms with four poster beds, richly painted walls and all the mod cons. A romantic Russian restaurant with a glass roof. City style at its finest. See More
Three Sisters Hotel Tallinn 23 rooms from AU$275City Style - A perfect balance between old and new, with slate floors, old wood beams and contemporary fabrics and layout.Romantic Break - After a joint soak in the tub, enjoy a six-course meal in the kitchen, watching the chef cook by candlelight.Sights nearby - Perfectly placed for exploring the old town square, just five minutes down the road.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet, Great Small Hotels
A perfect marriage of old world charm and modern style at this luxury boutique hotel in the centre of Tallinn. Large beautiful bedrooms with parquet floors, four poster beds, and bright Edwardian coloured walls. Fabulous restaurant and private dining room with ceiling murals. See More
Hotel Cru Tallinn 15 rooms from AU$323Sights nearby - Freedom Square and Town Hall Square are both within a 5 minute walkFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Four poster beds - For romantics.
A small hotel with lots of charm and character. This former merchant's house is bedecked with exposed stone walls, wooden beams, antique furniture and richly patterned throws across large beds. Lovely courtyard pizzeria and wine cellar. Ideally situated for exploring Tallinn Old Town. See More