Search the best hotels in Avallon
A quaint Burgundy town with a tranquil feel, Avallon is particularly popular with history-minded visitors who revel in its Celtic, Roman and medieval French influences. Surrounded by vineyards, this is also a terrific Burgundy destination for wine lovers and keen foodies. Accommodation options range from simple riverside guesthouses to superb châteaux, set within the picturesque countryside around the town itself. Charming and characterful, our pick of the best places to stay in Avallon promises to delight foodies and history buffs alike.
Meander along cobbled streets lined with cafés, art galleries and shops as you explore the town’s old centre. Walking tours reveal the ruins of military fortifications, half-timbered buildings, the bustling covered market and an impressive clock tower. The Eglise Saint Lazare’s stained glass windows are particularly lovely. Culture aficionados can marvel at the Musée du Costume, the Musée de L’Avallonais, and La Maison des Papillons. Head further afield to visit the magnificent Château de Chastellux and its manicured grounds.
Hike, cycle or horse ride between award-winning vineyards, or venture to nearby Chablis for top-notch tours and tastings. You can expect fabulous regional fare at the best places to stay in Avallon, too.
The Best Places to Stay in Avallon
For Intimate Charm
- La Cimentelle is a relaxing rural B&B to the north of Avallon. Pick this place for the heated swimming pool, the simple, airy rooms housed in an impressive 19th-century mansion, and the private cottage — ideal for groups or families. Although mainly a B&B, the property also offers delicious table d'hôtes dinners & cooking classes on request. Lovely.
- Le Moulin des Templiers offers smart contemporary rooms on the banks of the Cousin River. A great value favourite for keen anglers, hikers, cyclists and riders, with lots of history near by. Expect excellent local cuisine, and small spa with hammam, hot tub and sauna. For couples or families.
For Classic Opulence
- Château de Vault de Lugny is an impressive 13th Century moated castle. Sumptuous guestrooms feature antique four posters and knockout views. Mouth-watering dishes in the gourmet Louis XIII restaurant fuse produce from the vegetable garden and region with the spices of Mauritius, birthplace of Chef Franco Bowanee. With a swimming pool, bicycles, hiking trails and various adventurous activities, this is a real gem for couples or families.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Charles de Gaulle Airport or to Paris-Orly Airport, and travel south to Avallon. The journey should take just over two hours by train or car.
- Brittany is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 25°C in July and August. Harvest season is the busiest time to visit -- come in the spring for a slightly quieter feel.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Chablis.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Burgundy.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Avallon
Best Hotels in Avallon
Le Moulin des Templiers Avallon (Avalon) 14 rooms from AU$143Fishing - Fly fishing and no kill brown trout fishing is possible. The hotel has areas for drying equipment and can make a packed lunchBack to Nature - A wonderfully restored 12th-century mill on the River Cousin, in the enchanting Morvan Natural Regional ParkActive Holiday - Whether you enjoy fishing, hiking, cycling, horse riding or golf — there is plenty to do in the areaWine tasting - The hotel can advise on local wine trials or you can sample the produce that is grown on site!
A gorgeous restored mill in an idyllic spot on the banks of the River Cousin. Interiors are smart and contemporary yet full of country chic features including stone walls and exposed beams. Fantastic local cuisine using the freshest produce of the day, and small riverside spa. Great value for money. See More
La Cimentelle Avallon (Vassy-Les-Avallon) 9 rooms from AU$187Local exploring - Visit Montreal, Noyers Sur Serein and Fontenay Abbey from here, or explore the surroundings of AvallonRomantic Break - With cosy rooms and a quiet ambience, this guesthouse makes a great romantic getawayGroups - The self-catering cottage is perfect for travelling with larger groupsSights nearby - The hotel runs a tour of Vézelay Basilica, a Benedictine and Cluniac monasteryRecommended by - Sawdays
A stately country guesthouse in Burgundy. Each room has a unique style that works with the building's architecture, from original fireplaces to paved floors. Sliding doors lead to smart ensuite bathrooms. Choose the guest cottage for a group stay and relax by the heated outdoor pool. A charming B&B. See More
Château de Vault de Lugny Avallon (Burgundy) 16 rooms from AU$597Honeymoons - A fairytale setting, bursting with romance and style, plus personalised 5* treats and award-winning diningCountry Escape - The Chateau sits on 100 acres of picturesque grounds right in the heart of the Burgundian countrysideFoodies - This Burgundian cooking comes with a modern flare — locally sourced and totally inspired!Great walks - The Chateau is beautifully situated in the Morvan National Park boasting extensive walking with unbeatable viewsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
An impressive 13th Century moated Château set on charming grounds. Lofty bedrooms ooze old-world style, think antique drapes, bold wallpapers, four-poster beds and knockout views. Mouthwatering dinners are served, house party style, in a large kitchen, at separate tables, or on the lawn. Spoiling! See More