Search the best hotels in Île d'Aix
About Île d'Aix
In the shape of sand-lined green crescent, Ile d'Aix is a small green crescent-shaped island in the Atlantic Ocean stretching out at a meagre 2km's, with a permanent population of just over 200 residents. Complete with 5 sandy beaches, several forts designed by the famed engineer Vauban, a museum set in Napoleon's old house, the opportunity of exploring the island by horse-drawn carriage, not to mention a town comprised of whitewashed houses with colourful shutters, Ile d'Aix is the perfect place to go for a family holiday. Whether you're lounging on the uncrowded Sables d'Or beach, exploring the 11th century Saint Martin's Church or viewing paraphernalia from Napoleon's life, you will fall in love with this enchanting isle. Find out more by checking out our list of the best places to stay in Ile d'Aix.
What not to miss
- Explore the fascinating ruins of Fort Liedot, designed by Vauban in the early 19th century, and used as a prison until WWI.
- Book a guided horse-drawn carriage tour of the island!
- Visit the Napoleon Museum.
- Relax on one of the five beaches on the island, from the uncrowded beach of the Sables d'Or to the Med-style beach of Baby Plage!
- Find some solace in the recently restored 11th century Saint Martin's Church.
- Marvel at rare objet d'art and artefacts in the African Museum!
The best places to stay in Ile d'Aix
For a harbour side spot
- The Hotel Napoleon is a family run boutique hotel with 18 rooms and a harbour-side bistro. The food is great, the views are beautiful, the price is reasonable and the decor is contemporary.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The island is mostly car-free (aside from firemen and dustbin men,) but there is bike hire and horse-drawn carriage rides.
- Fly to La Rochelle Airport, get a shuttle bus to the Pointe de la Fumée, from where you can get a 20 minute ferry ride to Ile d'Aix.
- The best time to go is during the summer, when the temperature ranges between 14 and 24 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Île d'Aix
Hotel Napoleon 18 rooms from AU$119Aix Island, Île d'Aix
A family run boutique hotel and harbour-side bistro. Gorge on exemplary regional cuisine on the terrace overlooking the sea. The simply designed contemporary rooms will ensure a good nights sleep. The ideal spot to completely unwind and enjoy gentle strolls along the beach.Foodies - Be sure to sample some of the exquisite regional cuisine in the hotel's bistro.Total relaxation - Unwind at this harbour side spot over a glass of wine and local seafood.Sights nearby - Take a fascinating tour of Fort Boyard located between Aix and Oléron islands.Great walks - Enjoy stunning coastal walks and spot oysters being harvested along the way.