Search the best hotels in Osnabruck
In the heart of Lower Saxony, lying between the Teutoburg Forest and the Wiehen Mountains, is the small city of Osnabruck. Sitting beside the canalised Hase River, it was where, in 1648, the Peace of Westphalia was signed between Sweden and the Habsburgs, and though it suffered immense damage during WWII, it is still remarkably steeped in history. Medieval townhouses line the streets and neoclassical archways guard the entrances to the city. While its great Romanesque cathedral remains stark and beautiful against the skyline and the 13th century Gothic churches offer quiet contemplation down narrow lanes alongside cute street cafes. The perfect place to go for history lovers - whether it's Roman, medieval or modern history - it stands near the site of the Battle of Teutoburg Forest, where Augustus' legions were betrayed and slaughtered by the Goths, and there is a museum displaying hundreds of findings from that battle. Curiously too, it was the home of the Jewish painter Felix Nussbaum, who documented his persecution by the Nazis in his paintings, which are on display in the city's cultural museum. Fascinating, walkable and insanely pretty, our collection of the best places to stay in Osnabruck includes a charming and cosy hotel set in a beautiful 17th century half-timbered building.
What not to miss
- Visit the Kulturgeschichtliches Museum to see a range of findings - from prehistoric axes to the paintings of Felix Nussbaum!
- Enjoy a day out at the Osnabruck Zoo.
- Learn about the trials and punishment of witches in the 17th century at the Buckstrum - a 13th century tower - though remember, it is only open on Sundays.
- Check out the many historic buildings throughout the city - from the 17th century Bishops Palace to the many medieval townhouses scattered throughout.
- Find solace in the gorgeous 13th century cathedral of St. Peter's.
- Immerse yourself in the dark and tragic end of Varus' legions at the Battle of Teutoburg Forest, in the Museum und Park Kalkriese.
A really rich and varied city, full of things-to-do, history-buffs and culture-vultures will love it. Find out more by checking out our list of the best places to stay in Osnabruck.
The best places to stay in Osnabruck
- Hotel Walhalla is set in a 17th-century half-timbered building in the heart of historic Osnabrück, this enchanting hotel blends traditional charm with modern comforts. The cosy rooms, some with exposed beams, have hosted many famous guests over the years. The excellent Walhalla Restaurant is Michelin-recommended.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 11 and 23 degrees.
- Fly to Bremen International Airport, and get a train to Osnabruck. The journey takes between 50 minutes to 1h 15 minutes.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Osnabruck
Hotel Walhalla Osnabruck (Osnabrück) 69 rooms from AU$194Business meetings - The hotel has 3 well-equipped conference rooms and is ideally located for business meetingsLocal exploring - A perfect base for exploring the many attractions of the lovely old townShort fly break - Delightful destination for a mini-breakSights nearby - View the fine old buildings of Osnabrück including the Old Town Hall and the Cathedral with its treasury
Set in a 17th-century half-timbered building in the heart of historic Osnabrück, this enchanting hotel blends traditional charm with modern comforts. The cosy rooms, some with exposed beams, have hosted many famous guests over the years. The excellent Walhalla Restaurant is Michelin-recommended. See More