Search the best hotels in Oia
On an island known for its spectacular views, the lovely village of Oia seems to have the cream of a near-perfect crop. Perched on Santorini's northern tip, Oia's vista includes the island's other whitewashed towns, in addition to the spectacular arc of the volcanic caldera and the glittering ocean beyond. Those properties in our selection of the best places to stay in Oia are well located to make the most of all this.
Carved into the steep slope of the cliffs inside the caldera, this town has been converted from cave dwellings into an upmarket destination, and some of the best places to stay in Oia were once just caves with balconies. There's a good range of accommodation, from reasonably priced, self-catering studios to super luxurious suites - most are whitewashed and minimalist, so as not to distract from the breathtaking views.
Most of Oia can only be reached on foot - donkeys are still employed to take away the rubbish - so bear that in mind when arranging your luxurious Oia experience. There's excellent sailing (a great way to get around Santorini), and it can also be fun to hire a scooter.
What Not To Miss
- Visit Ammoudi, 300 steps below Oia, and see the red cliffs and the beaches. There are also some excellent tavernas on the water's edge.
- The Maritime Museum is an interesting way to see something of the town's fascinating history.
- Even if you don't stay in Oia, you should definitely chance the dramatic cliff edge walk from Fira to see the sunset. Did we say, it really is a once in a lifetime view?
If you're visiting in the busy summer months then be sure to book well ahead as the best places to stay in Oia get quickly booked up!
Spend some time strolling round town, exploring the buildings and the varied views and the little boutiques, and restaurants. Then get settled into your supper table early and just sit back and watch the sunset…
- The Ikies Traditional Houses hotel is designed for couples. There are only eleven rooms, suites or maisonettes, all with a private spectacular-caldera-view terrace, where breakfast is served every morning, and most have their own private jacuzzi with a view. What makes it one of the best places to stay in Oia for honeymooners is that staying in a suite carved out of a cliff in such a stunning location definitely qualifies as a once in a lifetime experience.
- 1864 The Sea Captain's House is ideal for honeymooners on a budget. There are just four rooms in this wonderful small hotel, all with traditional decoration and a private balcony. Rooms are priced form just £105 per night.
- The 5* Kirini Suites & Spa offers whitewashed, quintessentially Cycladic rooms as well as a deluxe spa and fantastic restaurant. A dreamily romantic clifftop escape!
- With sumptuous suites overlooking the sea, Santo Maris Oia Suites is the ideal choice for honeymooners. Unwind in the extensive spa or in private hot tubs before tucking into magnificent Greek cuisine on the terrace at sunset.
- All of Oia's hotels share the mind-blowing view over the ancient, flooded caldera, but Katikies, with its cascade of whitewashed terraces and balconies and two gorgeous infinity pools, sets the standard in spectacular. Whitewashed and airy, rooms are cool and tranquil, the service is impeccable and the Greek restaurant is excellent. Perfection!
- But don't think being perfect makes it the obvious choice, as the Perivolas Traditional Houses are equally perfect. Just outside of town this collection of 300 year old traditional-cave-converted-houses offer a whitewashed-luxury other worldly experience. Hard to separate, these are just two of the very best places to stay in Oia for luxury.
- Perched on a cliff side with splendid sea views, Canaves is an all white property boasting traditionally Cycladic accommodation. All their suites come with private pools, whilst there's also a splendid restaurant, wine tasting sessions, and you can even arrange to charter out a private yacht for the day!
- Esperas, which has reasonably priced studios, houses and suites, carved directly into the cliff face, is a great option for families with kids over 12. Ten minutes from the centre of town and about the same to the nearest beaches, this property is a member of the Historic Hotels of Europe.
- Aenon Villas boast seven all white private villas in a secluded clifftop setting. Spend your days lounging by the pool or head down to the coast, just a short distance away.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Oia's nicest weather-wise in the summer months, with the average daily temperature reaching 26°C in July and August.
- Or consider visiting in May, September or October when the temperature still ranges from 20-24°C so it's perfectly pleasant!
- Visitors can fly into Santorini Airport, located 16km southeast, though there are only direct flight from the UK between March and October - easyJet and Thomas Cook fly from Gatwick, whilst Thompson also go from Manchester.
- If you're coming outside this time window then you'll need to fly into Athens before taking a connecting flight on to Santorini.
- From the airport, hop on the bus to Oia.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Oia
Esperas Oia 17 rooms from AU$246Romantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelFamiliesValue chicRecommended by - I Escape
Vino Houses Oia (Santorini) 3 rooms from AU$277Groups - These spacious villas, which can sleep up to 4 people, are a great option for those travelling in larger groupsCountry Escape - Located in the beautiful Oia countryside, these private villas offer the perfect base for a country retreatFamilies - The self-catering facilities and private pool make these villas popular with familiesCooking classes - Brush up your Mediterranean repertoire with a cooking class; enquire with the hotel for detailsRecommended by - I Escape
Vino Houses consists of just 3 private villas each with a hot tub in the quiet village of Finikia in Oia, Santorini. Chic interiors, views onto the vineyards, 10 minutes from the best black beaches in Santorini and just a 30 minute walk from Oia with private parking. Great for families. See More
Santo Maris Oia Suites Oia from AU$404Honeymoons - Honeymoon heaven with sumptuous suites and private villas boasting outdoor hot tubs overlooking the stunning Aegean Sea.Local markets - Head off to explore the local markets of Oia and Fira to pick up some regional specialites.Views - Get stunning sea views from with cable car ride from Fira's Old Port.Sailing - The perfect stopping point for sailing trip around the Greek isles.
A magnificent five-star hotel overlooking the sea. A modern, stylish take on the traditional Cycladic style, with rooms maximising on comfort and luxury. It's the perfect place for a relaxing, indulgent romantic break, with an extensive spa and a stunning setting looking out to sea. See More
1864 The Sea Captain's House Oia 4 rooms from AU$456Town - Oia is one of Santorini's most picturesque towns.Full of character - A house with a history.Views - Great views from hotelHoneymoonsRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller
Canaves Thera, Santoríni 18 rooms from AU$571Local exploring - A perfect base to explore the winding cobbled streets with local bakeries, art galleries and artisan shopsRomantic Break - Luxury accommodation with breathtaking viewsSailing - Sailing excursions can be booked with the hotelSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
In a picturesque village, this luxury hotel seems surreal. Perched on a cliff side, beautifully designed with white on white keeping in mind the traditional Cycladic style, rooms offer private terraces. The suites come with a private pool and the restaurant serves great food. Super romantic. See More
Santorini Secret Suites & Spa Oia (Oia) 17 rooms from AU$571Beach Life - Set on the coast on the picturesque island of Santorini, book this hotel for a luxury seaside getawayRomantic Break - The laid-back, romantic atmosphere at this adults-only hotel is well suited to a couples' holidayHideaway - With a spa, restaurant and pool onsite, there is no need to leave this boutique hideaway hotelSights nearby - Visit the Akrotiri archaeological site – one of the Aegean’s most important prehistoric settlementsRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
This stylish bolt-hole offers luxurious villas and private suites in Oia on Santorini. Classic Cycladic exteriors give way to contemporary suites with a splash of colour in the designer fittings. For romantic sunset views, dine on the terrace at the hotel's gourmet Black Rock restaurant. See More
Ikies Traditional Houses Oia 11 rooms from AU$644ChicHoneymoonsViews - Great views from hotel5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
Kirini Suites & Spa Oia from AU$815Total relaxation - With a serene coastal setting, excellent on site cuisine and deluxe spa, it's ideal for a relaxing holiday.Romantic Break - Luxurious suites and a heavenly location combine to create the perfect place for a romantic getaway.Sights nearby - Visit Santorini's volcano and Thirasia Island just three miles away.Diving - Take diving trips out from Oia harbour.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Fantastic, five-star hotel facing out over the Aegean Sea. Fastidiously designed in line with Cycladic style, the suites are elegant and luxurious with crisp, whitewashed decor. The deluxe spa feature relaxing pods carved into the cliff and the restaurant serves delicious seafood. A clifftop wonder. See More
Perivolas LIfestyle Houses Oia (Oia) 21 rooms from AU$897Hideaway - Set in 300 year old caves this stunning seaside property feels a-million miles away from everything.Sailing - Take a boat across the lava islands for magical views of the sulphur exuding caldera.Great walks - Explore the winding alleys of Oia, filled with charming churchs and craft boutiques.Sights nearby - Discover the ancient ruins of the Minoan Akrotiri.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
A collection of lifestyle houses converted from 300 year old caves, built into the hillside. Spectacular views and complete tranquility meets laidback luxury and style. Stunning infinity pool, beautiful terraced gardens, and superb contemporary Greek cuisine. A wildly romantic destination. See More
Andronis Luxury Suites Oia (Santorini) 27 rooms from AU$958Romantic Break - Couples love the amenities at this hotel, particularly the adult focus and the possibility of a private hot tub or poolBeach Life - With beautiful sea views from the hotel, and easy access to local beaches, this is a great base for seaside breakHoneymoons - Make yours a luxury honeymoon by booking a suite with a private infinity poolSights nearby - Take an impressive helicopter trip from the hotel across the Aegean to some of the most renowned Greek islands
This seafront luxury hotel in Oia offers stunning vistas across the Aegean. The suites have classic interior design with stonewashed bathrooms and nautical colours; the best lead onto a private infinity pool overlooking the sea. Don't miss the clifftop restaurant and sleek spa. A breathtaking hotel. See More
Katikies Oia 27 rooms from AU$1614Total relaxation - Enjoy A.Spa's restorative treatments, cocktails by the infinty pool, phenomenal rooftop dining and impeccable 24 hour service.Honeymoons - Sun, sea, tranquility and oh-so-romantic- five star service in these achingly chic cliff side cottages overlooking Caldera.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby village of Oia, the main square and sunset views are breathtaking.Swimming Pool - Gorgeous infinity pools - Top 50 Hotel pools.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
A totally unique boutique honeymooner hotel draped over the cliffs of Oia. Cool and tranquil luxurious rooms with stunning views. Exceptionally lovely infinity pool and spa. Fresh mediterranean cuisine is served poolside as well as fine dining on the rooftop. The ideal place to completely unwind. See More