The Hotel Guru is my “go to” site for hotel recommendations Rebecca Terrazas.
Search the best hotels in Srinagar
Srinagar is the largest city in the Kashmir region and an old summer capital of beautiful gardens and serene lake, Dal Lake, on which bob colourful houseboats Around the lake you will find some of the best places to stay in Srinagar. This long, still lake runs between the city centre, now a busy, commercial capital, and the old city of Srinagar to the northwest.
The three Mughal Gardens, which represent the Mughal Emperor's idea of paradise with their impressive fountains and brightly coloured flower boxes, are probably Srinagar's most famous sight. Situated right by the lake with spectacular views of a snow capped mountain range behind.
There are several exquisite mosques and a collection of peaceful temples in the town. Srinagar is also the perfect base for short expeditions into the Himalayas.
What not to miss
- Take a stroll through the Mughal Gardens and admire the stunning views of the lake and mountains beyond
- Marvel at the intricate designs of the local mosques
- Enjoy a peaceful cruise across the lake on a colourful shikara
- Get out of the city and go for a hike in the surrounding mountains
Most visitors travel to Srinagar in the summer months, because during winter it's often snowy - and not everywhere has hot water. Bearing this in mind, book early, as the best places to stay in Srinagar will be popular!
On a budget
- The Mahatta Home Stay is a quaint 11 room escape amongst neat, green lawns and rosebushes. The rooms are clean and comfortable, but it's the warm atmosphere, and excellent value, which really makes this one of the best places to stay in Srinagar.
- Hotel Dar-es-Salam is located on the quieter Nigeen Lake, but nonetheless enjoys a fabulous waterside location, with rose filled gardens that are perfect for complete relaxation.
- For a prime spot on Dal Lake one of the best places to stay in Srinagar has to be Sukoon, a floating hotel right on the lake, featuring beautifully carved Kashmiri woodwork, and rooftop restaurant.
- Butts Clermont Houseboats are also moored right on Lake Dal. The accommodation is traditional in style with wood carving and chandeliers, and there is delicious local cuisine on board.
- The Lalit Grand Palace was once a royal residence and now it boasts opulent decor, pampering spa, indoor pool and great restaurant.
- Vivanta by Taj - Dal View oozes luxury and class. Plus it is easily one of the best places to stay in Srinagar, if you want a room with a view!
For a villa or houseboat
- If you prefer a self catering property for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our onine booking partner Booking.com where there is a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to Sheikh ul Alam Airport (Srinagar Airport) which is well connected with frequent direct flights from Delhi.
- Best time to visit - April to June is the most popular time for tourists to visit as the weather is moderate and temperatures range between 10 degree C to 30 degree C.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Srinagar
Mahatta Home Stay Srinagar 11 rooms from AU$68
A quaint haven of verdant lawns, paved pathways and flowerbeds bursting with roses, situated in the heart of Srinagar. Rooms are clean and comfortable, but the welcome and hospitality are second to none. Come here for a real home from home experience and to soak up genuine Srinagar.Sights nearby - Walking distance from the centre of town and just 4km from Dal LakeTraditional
Hotel Dar-es-Salam Srinagar (Nandpora, Rianawar) 7 rooms from AU$122
Whilst the interiors could do with a some updating, the picturesque setting, right beside the Nigeen Lake (much less frequented than Dal Lake), more than makes up for this. The gardens are filled with roses and tulips and plenty of nooks to relax with a good book. Rooms are large and wood panelled.Back to Nature - Located on the banks of the Nigeen Lake this hotel enjoys a quiter spot of Srinagar.Great walks - Take a tour of the historic sites of town with your private guide.Birdwatching - The lakes of Srinagar attract an abundance of birdlife.Sailing - Take a boat out for sightseeing on the lake.
Sukoon Srinagar (Dal Lake) 5 rooms from AU$169
Sukoon is the first amongst equals on the Dal Lake. A comparatively new property they employ green credentials making it a stylish and sustainable stay. Intricately carved Kashmiri woodwork covers the walls and rooms feature bright pop colours, plus luxury bathrooms. There is a rooftop restaurant.Sights nearby - One of the most impressive examples of Kashmiri architecture the Khanqah Shah-i-Hamadan is a must visit.Birdwatching - The Dal Lake attracts a most varied variety of birdlife. Wake up in the early mornings to spot them.Local markets - The floating markets of the Dal Lake are quite spectacular.Great walks - Up to the Shankaracharya Hill viewing point.
Butt's Clermont Houseboats Srinagar (Hazratbal) 21 rooms from AU$263
A collection of houseboats moored on the Dal Lake, moments from Emperor Akbar's famous Mughal Gardens. Decorated in a traditional style with wood panelling, chandeliers and locally made handwoven rugs. Serving indulgent Kashmiri dishes as well as European there is even a private garden.Sights nearby - One of Srinagar's most aesthetically pleasing structures, the spires of Khanqah Shah-i-Hamadan are worth viewing.Sailing - Visit the floating villages and gardens of Dal Lake - an entirely different way of life.Great walks - Walking distance from the tranquil Mughal Gardens.Views - Great views from hotel
The Lalit Grand Palace Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir) 113 rooms from AU$274
Built in 1910, Grand Palace was the former residence of Kashmiri royal family. True to its regal roots rooms are decorated in an opulent, yet not ostentatious style: quilted bedspreads, artwork and some four posters and fireplaces. There's a walnut clad bar and North Indian cuisine at The Chinar.Spa - Provides complete holistic experience: aroma, ayurvedic, herbal & natural therapies, patented colour healing & yoga.Sailing - A private boat trip on the Dal Lake where you can see the floating gardens and villages is an unforgettable day.Birdwatching - Srinagar's lakes are a magnet for migratory birds as well as being home to many native duck species.Swimming Pool - Large indoor pool
Vivanta by Taj - Dal View Srinagar (Jammu and Kashmir) 76 rooms from AU$321
1730 feet above Srinigar with far reaching views of the Dal Lake. Possessing all the style & service expected of a Taj: there's a top class spa. Restaurant-wise Latitude makes the most of those vistas whilst Jade Dragon serves Sichuan cuisine. Rooms are luxurious modern meets Mughal.Sights nearby - The Khanqah Shah-i-Hamadan is an architechtural offering to Srinigar's religious culture.Birdwatching - Migratory ducks and Kashmir's famous wild ducks can be spotted.Local markets - The Kashmir Government Arts Emporium is a collector's dream.Great walks - Meander through the rose scented Mughal Gardens.