Search the best hotels in Osaka
Every nation has an anti-city. In England, Manchester stands opposed to London; in Scotland, Glasgow is everything that Edinburgh is not; in Sicily, Catania is the antithesis of Palermo; in Colombia, Pereira opposes Bogota. For Japan, Osaka is no exception. Compared to the plush and pricey capital city, Tokyo, Osaka is its gritty, vibrant, entrepreneurial and fun-loving younger sister. The best place in the country for a bar crawl, it is the economic beating heart of the Kansai region of Japan and is its second-largest metropolitan area. The ideal place to let your hair down, it has a great wealth of chic bars, trendy restaurants and some of the friendliest people Japan has to offer the eager tourist. The best places to stay in Osaka range from chic wallet-friendly spots to super luxury hotels.
Osaka has long been a thriving commercial centre. It is even said of Osakans that they greet each other by saying, "Mokarimakka?" (Are you making money?) Today, it is the heartland of tech-startups and the AI industries, with companies flocking to Osaka in droves from Tokyo to escape the extortionate prices. Japan is probably the most expensive country in the developed world, but Osaka is remarkably cheap even by those standards.
Compared with other cities, Osaka has a reputation for having few attractions. This is only half right: it is not an "historic" city boasting countless castles and shrines, though it does have Osaka Castle and the Sumiyoshi Shrine - one of Japan's oldest.
What not to miss
- Check out Osaka Castle and immerse yourself in the history of the city.
- For a respite from the madness of the city, visit the Sumiyoshi Shrine, one of Japan's oldest shrines, and explore the lovely park.
- For a fun day out with the kids you should check out Kaiyukan, the city's aquarium, boasting an amazing array of dolphins, sharks and seals, or perhaps head over to Universal Studios Japan - a thrilling theme park.
- Go to the National Museum of Art and look at the incredible variety of classical and modern artworks.
- If you want to learn more about the city's history, check out the Osaka Museum of History for a really informative look at the city's relation to commerce and its rapid expansion.
- Head over to the Minami and Kita districts, both of which are downtown and have a fantastic wealth of cool bars, upmarket restaurants, chic cafes and some amazing shopping precincts. Going on an Osaka bar crawl should be high on your to-do list: locals are notoriously easy-going and friendly, and the city has an incredible nightlife.
Osaka is an effortlessly fun place. Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Osaka, and start to plan your Osakan adventure!
The best places to stay in Osaka
- Kaneyoshi Ryokan: in central Osaka, offering traditional Japanese accommodation, complete with tatami woven flooring and futon bedding. Unwind in the public bath after a day of sightseeing. A simple and simply great city-stay!
- Yamatoya Honten: a decent budget city stay, located in downtown Osaka and offering traditional Japanese accommodation - think tatami-mat flooring and futon bedding. Choose either Western or Japanese-style breakfasts, whilst kaiseki cuisine is served in the restaurant. Enjoy relaxing in the public baths after a day out in the city!
Value for money
Hotel Kuramoto: downtown, in Dotonbori, simple and traditional accommodation complete with tatami-mat flooring and futon bedding. There's a cafe inside and tonnes of restaurants and shops to check out nearby.
- Hotel Agora Regency Sakai: effortlessly chic hotel with a top-of-the-range spa and a multitude of dining options to choose from. There's a fabulous indoor pool that's great to unwind in. Great value for money!
- Hotel Hankyu International: spacious, elegant, romantic and modern, the rooms in this hotel are simply divine. Ideal for a romantic weekend-away, guests can enjoy relaxing in the sauna or dining at one of her many restaurants.
- Cross Hotel Osaka: cool and contemporary hotel with a really trendy bar, in a superbly central location. A really chic place.
- Hotel New Omani: sitting on a scenic riverside location in central Osaka. Offering a range of luxurious rooms and suites, the property also boasts a number of restaurants and a swimming pool.
- Mitsui Garden Hotel Osaka Premier: centrally situated and offering chic accommodation. Enjoy a relaxing in-room massage after a day out sightseeing or unwind in the rooftop baths! Gourmet kyushu cuisine served at their restaurant.
- Fraser Residence Nankai: bright and modern rooms boasting gorgeous views of the city. Minimalist and pure, the hotel is the perfect place to relax after a busy day. There is a state-of-the-art gym and a boutique cafe. First class.
- The St. Regis Osaka: a haven of beauty, art and comfort, this hotel is luxury at its finest. The rooftop garden terrace is a beautiful sight-to-behold and the views are jaw-dropping. With your own private butler, several restaurants to choose from and a brilliant gym, you are truly spoilt. 5* luxury.
- Imperial Hotel Osaka: nestling beside the Okawa River, this gorgeous 5* hotel boasts a swimming pool together with elegant accommodation stylishly decorated in warm hues. Enjoy Chinese, French or Japanese dishes in the restaurant! A cool city stay.
- Swissotel Nankai Osaka: this trendy 5* enjoys a stunning location in the heart of the city, offering spacious & contemporary accommodation. Unwind in their extensive spa facilities after a long day sightseeing or dine at the restaurant.
- The Ritz Carlton, Osaka: elegant, ornate and pure luxury, perched in a central location. You get real celebrity treatment in this stylish hotel, offering splendid views of the city. You'll be spoilt for choice with a variety of restaurants offering superb cuisine.
- Rihga Royal Hotel Osaka: an urban oasis of luxury in the heart of the city, offering a range of accommodation from elegant suites to simple contemporary rooms. Boasting an extensive, pampering spa and an enormous range of restaurants to choose from!
For an apartment or villa
- If self-catering is your preferred option, check out our partner Booking.com for a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Osaka has its own airport.
- Be sure to buy an Icoca smart card that makes riding public transport a breeze (and offers you significant savings!)
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- Go during the early autumn, when the temperature ranges between 15 and 29 degrees, or visit in spring for the stunning cherry blossom.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in Tokyo.
- Browse through the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Osaka
Best Hotels in Osaka
Hotel Kuramoto Osaka (Chuuou-ku) 24 rooms from AU$171Local exploring - Right in the centre of Dotonbori, tonnes of shops & restaurants to check out.Sights nearby - Be sure to visit the Shitennoji Temple, Tsutenkaku Tower and the historic Osaka CastleGreat walks - Meander around the city's streets getting a feel for the place
Hotel Kuramoto is located in downtown Osaka and offers traditional, simple accommodation with tatami-mat flooring and futon bedding. Enjoy a cafe in the lounge and unwind in the public baths after a long day sightseeing. A simple and friendly city stay in a great location! See More
Hotel Agora Regency Sakai Osaka (Sakai-ku) 241 rooms from AU$201Local markets - Osaka's lively Kurmomon Market has a wide variety of food stalls and is definitely worth a visitSights nearby - Go visit Tsutenkaku Tower, the bustling Shinsekai neighbourhood or the historic Osaka CastleSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel Agora Regency Sakai enjoys a prime location in downtown Osaka. The property provides a range of chic rooms and elegant suites as well as boasting seven dining options-all of which are definitely worth a try! Come back after a day out sightseeing and unwind in the sauna. A wonderful city stay! See More
Kaneyoshi Ryokan Osaka (Chūō-ku) 15 rooms from AU$210Great walks - Meander around the city's streets and head down to the water at sunset and enjoy the viewsSights nearby - Be sure to visit the Shitennoji Temple, Tsutenkaku Tower and the historic Osaka CastleTraditional - Ryokan - Traditional Japanese Inn
Kaneyoshi Ryokan enjoys a wonderful location in central Osaka. The property offers traditional Japanese accommodation-think tatami woven flooring and futon bedding. Come back after a long day out sightseeing and relax in the public bath! An unfussy city stay in a top spot. See More
Yamatoya Honten Osaka (Chuo-ku) 39 rooms from AU$271Local exploring - Travellers interested in shopping and food should head for Chuo Ward. Hozen-ji Temple is within walking distance.City Style - Located in downtown Osaka, Yamatoya Honten is the perfect spot from which to get to know the cityValue chic - Great accommodation in a superb location at a great priceGreat walks - Meander through the city's streets or walk along the banks of the water and enjoy the views
Yamatoya Honten is located in downtown Osaka and offers traditional Japanese accommodation complete with tatami-mat flooring and futon bedding. Choose either Western or Japanese-style breakfasts, whilst kaiseki cuisine is served for dinner. Unwind in the public baths. A fantastic budget city stay! See More
Hotel New Omani Osaka 525 rooms from AU$289Tennis - Make use of the two outdoor tennis courts to have a hit about and work up a sweatSights nearby - Go visit the historic Osaka Castle, Japan Mint and Tsutenkaku TowerLocal markets - Head over to the bustling Tenjinbashi Suji MarketViews - Stunning views of the city skyline.
Hotel New Omani enjoys a scenic riverside location in central Osaka. Offering a range of luxurious rooms and suites, the property also boasts a number of restaurants serving up excellent Japanese, Chinese and French cuisine! Come back after a long day and relax by the pool. See More
Hotel Hankyu International Osaka (Kita-ku) 168 rooms from AU$312Great walks - Walk around the city getting your bearings or head down by the water at sunset and enjoy the wonderful viewsSights nearby - Go visit Tsutenkaku Tower, the bustling Shinsekai neighbourhood or the historic Osaka CastleViews - Beautiful city views of Osaka from the 26th floor and above.
Situated in Osaka's Umeda area, Hotel Hankyu International provides spacious and elegantly decorated accommodation. Head off exploring before coming back and unwinding in the sauna-the ideal way to end the day. Be sure to visit any of their 9 superb restaurants! A classy and first-rate city stay. See More
Cross Hotel Osaka Osaka (Chuo-ku) 229 rooms from AU$344Great walks - Walk around the city to get your bearings or head down by the water at sunset and enjoy the wonderful ocean viewsLocal markets - The lively Kurmomon Market has a wide variety of food stalls and is definitely worth a visitSights nearby - Go visit Tsutenkaku Tower, the bustling Shinsekai neighbourhood or the historic Osaka Castle
Boasting a superbly central location, Cross Hotel Osaka features contemporary accommodation decorated with white as a base colour and black or red accent colours. Unwind after a long day sightseeing with a drink in the chic Bar Seagull! A sophisticated stay in a wonderful spot-what could be better? See More
Mitsui Garden Hotel Osaka Premier Osaka (Nakanoshima) 271 rooms from AU$349Great walks - Walk around the city getting your bearings or head down by the water at sunset and enjoy the wonderful viewsLocal markets - Kurmomon Market has a wide variety of food stalls-definitely worth a visitViews - City views tastefully framed with shrubs and low growing trees.
The centrally situated Mitsui Garden Hotel Osaka Premier offers chic contemporary accommodation complete with wooden flooring. Book yourself a relaxing in-room massage after a day out sightseeing or unwind in the rooftop baths! Gourmet kyushu cuisine served at their restaurant. A lovely city stay! See More
Imperial Hotel Osaka Osaka (1-Chome) 381 rooms from AU$3785* Luxury - Very high service standards.Great walks - Walk around the city getting your bearings or head down by the water at sunset and enjoy the wonderful viewsSights nearby - Go visit Japan Mint, Osaka Tenmangu Shrine, Osaka Castle or Nakanoshima ParkTennis - Both Tennis and Squash courts are available.
Situated centrally beside the Okawa River, the 5* Imperial Hotel Osaka houses a beautiful pool together with elegant accommodation tastefully decorated in warm hues. Delicate Chinese, French or Japanese dishes will delight as you gaze out over Osaka. Good to time your visit for the cherry blossom. See More
Swissotel Nankai Osaka Osaka (Chuo-ku) 546 rooms from AU$379Great walks - Walk around the city getting your bearings or head down to the water at sunset and enjoy the wonderful viewsLocal markets - Be sure to check out the lively Kuromon Ichiba Market!Spa - Offering massage & beauty treatments.
The 5* Swissotel Nankai Osaka enjoys a wonderful location in the heart of Osaka. Offering spacious & contemporary accommodation, each room comes with an LCD satellite TV and a fridge. Unwind in their extensive spa facilities after a long day sightseeing. Dining is a Delight, enjoy the experience. See More
The Ritz Carlton, Osaka Osaka (Kita-ku) 292 rooms from AU$4455* Luxury - Very high service standards.Sights nearby - Go visit Tsutenkaku Tower, Universal Studios Japan or the historic Osaka CastleGreat walks - Head off on the Nakanoshima Park Walking Tour and learn more about the areaOpulentRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
The Ritz Carlton Osaka enjoys a wonderfully central location. True celebrity treatment in this elegant accommodation, offering splendid views of the city. Gastronomically speaking you'll be spoilt for choice with a variety of restaurants serving superb cuisine. A fabulous city stay! See More
Fraser Residence Nankai Osaka (Naniwa-ku) 114 rooms from AU$455Local markets - The lively Kurmomon Market has a wide variety of food stalls and is definitely worth a visitSights nearby - Visit Tsutenkaku Tower, the bustling Shinsekai neighbourhood or the historic Osaka CastleGreat walks - Meander around the city's streets getting a feel for its atmosphereBoutique
Fraser Residence Nankai is situated in central Osaka a short distance from the Namba business district. The property offers a range of well-lit studios and apartments decorated in a chic contemporary fashion. Enjoy a continental breakfast each morning to set you up for the day! A friendly city spot. See More
The St. Regis Osaka Osaka (Chuo-ku) 160 rooms from AU$455Sights nearby - Go visit the historic Osaka Castle, Shitennoji Shrine or Tsutenkaku TowerLocal markets - Be sure to check out the lively Kuromon Ichiba Market!Views - Beautiful city views.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
The St. Regis Osaka is located on Midosuji street, affectionately known as the Champs Elysées of Osaka. The property boasts elegant and chic accommodation whilst also providing a number of superb dining options. Speak with the private butler to arrange all sorts of activities! A first-class stay. See More
Rihga Royal Hotel Osaka Osaka (Nakanoshima) 984 rooms from AU$460Local markets - The lively Kurmomon Market has a wide variety of food stalls and is definitely worth a visitSwimming Pool - Indoor pool with whirlpool.
Boasting a fantastic location in the heart of the city, Rihga Royal Hotel Osaka offers a range of accommodation from elegant suites to simple contemporary rooms. What's more, the property boasts 20 stunning restaurants serving a variety of cuisine! Unwind in the sauna. A superb stay in a top spot! See More
Conrad Osaka Osaka 164 rooms from AU$660Local exploring - Nestled in the heart of Osaka, with shops, restaurants and historic sites close by, book this hotel for local exploringFoodies - With four restaurants and bars to choose from, all with striking city views, foodies are well-catered to at this hotelCity Style - Set in between the Dojima and Tosabori rivers, this sleek city bolt-hole has lots of local charmSights nearby - Tour the 16th-century Osaka Castle, one of the city's most famous landmarks
This five-star, luxury hotel is located on the highest floors of the Nakanoshima Festival West Tower in Osaka. The contemporary guestrooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows with views over the spectacular skyline. Head to KURA restaurant for sushi and teppanyaki after sightseeing. See More
St Regis Osaka Osaka 160 rooms from AU$696Romantic Break - With luxurious interiors, a romantic restaurant and spa, book this hotel for a relaxing couples' getawayLocal exploring - This hotel's location is perfect for sightseeing, with boutiques, museums and restaurants close byCity Style - Set in the most stylish district of Oaska with skyline views, book this hotel for chic city styleSights nearby - Visit the nearby Osaka Castle, one of Japan's most famous landmarks and a symbol of the unification of the country
This luxury hotel is set in the heart of Midosuji, known as the Champs-Elysées of Osaka. Plush guest suites are themed around flowers and foliage, with sink-in carpets and opulent throws set off by natural accents. Head to the hotel's stylish 12th-floor terrace for spectacular skyline views. See More