Search the best hotels in Guanajuato
Not all tourists plan to leave the coast when visiting Mexico, however, cities like Guanajuato prove this to be a mistake. A gorgeous and colourful city set within a gorge and surrounded by 6,700 feet mountains. Guanajuato was founded in 1559 when gold and silver were being locally mined. Now the city is known for its beautifully coloured colonial houses, its university, its plazas and its unusual roads which dip into subterranean tunnels that once used to be a river. Our collection of the best hotels in Guanajuato are all traditional properties now turned into charming boutiques.
Guanajuato can be an easy place to get lost in, however, this is often a pleasure, not an irritant. The centre of the city is filled with large 18th century properties (some of which have been tastefully converted into boutique hotels and guesthouses), relics of the wealthy land and mine owners that once ruled this city.
For any trip to Guanajuato, the large yellow 18th century Basílica set in Plaza de la Paz is a great place to start. Guanajuato also has a number of beautiful squares, perfect to stop in for a lazy afternoon drink. One of the most picturesque is Jardin de la Union where you will often find impromptu musical performances. The city also has a number of fascinating museums.
However, the best way to see Guanajuato in its entirety is by taking the cable car that runs across the gorge and offers beautiful views of the colourful city and surrounding mountains. While one of the best times to visit (if you can handle the crowds) is during the internationally renowned annual arts festival, Festival Cervantino.
An enchanting city which should be high on anyone's list when visiting the region, why not browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Guanajuato to start planning your trip?
The best places to stay in Guanajuato
- Villa Maria Cristina is a charming boutique hotel set around a leafy courtyard. Well proportioned rooms are traditional in style with antique furniture, wooden floors and luxurious bathrooms. A roof terrace, two swimming pools and a small spa provide plenty of space to unwind. There's an excellent restaurant too.
- Edelmira Hotel is an atmospheric hotel boasting an excellent central location. Traditionally styled rooms feature exposed stone walls, simple classic furniture and sash windows to enjoy the city views from. Find yourself just steps from many of the historical sights. Ideal for city exploring.
For an apartment or holiday home
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, our online partner booking.com has plenty in the vicinity.
- Fly to Guanajuato airport (BJX) located 30 minutes outside of the city which is served by both national and international flights. From here the only way into the city is by hire car or a taxi. Alternatively for a cheaper option buses run from Mexico City and San Miguel de Allende.
- Guanajuato has a temperate year-round climate with winters that are not too cold (ranging between 7 - 22 degrees) and summers that are not too hot (ranging between 14 - 27 degrees). Between the months July-September rain is more likely however it doesn't tend to dominate the weather. If you want to catch the Festival Cervantino check the dates as they change annually but it always falls in the Autumn.
- If you would like the freedom of your own car we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure where to book?
Best Hotels in Guanajuato
Hotel Boutique 1850 Guanajuato (Colonia Centro) 20 rooms from AU$238Local exploring - With a prime location close to museums, bars and restaurants, this hotel is the perfect starting point for local exploringCity Style - Set in a beautifully restored heritage property in the heart of the old town, this hotel has lots of local city charmRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic atmosphere at this historic hotel; book a couples' massage at the chic 1850 spaSights nearby - Climb up to the Pipila Monument, a statue commemorating a hero in the War of Independence; enjoy great city views at the top
This boutique hotel is set in a turn-of-the-century property in the historic centre of Guanajuato, Mexico. Elegant guestrooms line the hotel's light-filled interior gallery; the best have exposed walls and original wooden beams. Take in city views while enjoying a cocktail at the chic rooftop bar. See More
Villa Maria Cristina Guanajuato 13 rooms from AU$246Hideaway - A tranquil and luxurious retreat to completely unwind.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.SpaFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
A charming boutique hotel set around a leafy courtyard. Well proportioned rooms are traditional in style with antique furniture, wooden floors and luxurious bathrooms. A roof terrace, two swimming pools and small spa provide plenty of space to unwind. There's an excellent restaurant too. Very chic. See More
Edelmira Hotel Guanajuato 27 rooms from AU$314Local exploring - A historical building well positioned to access the valley's many attractions.Sights nearby - The city itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Wander the cobbled streets and admire the colonial architecture.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Tablet
An atmospheric hotel boasting an excellent location within historic Guanajuato. Traditionally styled rooms feature exposed stone walls, simple classic furniture and sash windows to enjoy the city views from. Find yourself just steps from many of the historical sights. Ideal for city exploring. See More