Search the best hotels in Oslo
Tucked between the shores of the Oslofjord and hills topped with leafy forests, Oslo is brimming with museums and galleries — and there’s adventure aplenty for lovers of the great outdoors, too. Accommodation options are broad, with everything from simple B&Bs to striking design hotels, fit for a whole range of budgets. Whether you’re dreaming of an intimate boutique hideaway with a spa or a stylish city pad in the heart of the action, our pick of the best places to stay in Oslo offers something for everyone.
Famed for its colourful cosmopolitan vibe and sustainable focus, Oslo boasts striking architecture, world-class eateries, chic boutiques and lots of green spaces for soaking up the sunshine. The city centre is small enough to discover on foot or by bicycle, whether you’re catching a show at the Opera House, visiting the Nobel Peace Centre or marvelling at Edvard Munch’s The Scream at The Nasjonalgalleriet.
The forested hills, picturesque lakes and expansive rivers of Oslomarka Forest are just 15 minutes from the city centre by public transport, perfect for hikers, kayakers or eager cyclists. Depending on when you choose to visit, there’s sailing, cross-country skiing and base jumping within easy reach of town, ideal for those looking to fuse a love of nature with a lively cultural scene and buzzing nightlife.
Kickstart your day at one of the city’s superb galleries, venture to the woods for a scenic hike, and catch a late-night gig after a delicious dinner, before retreating to an Art Deco oasis or a romantic wooden villa. Quirky and cool Norwegian design takes centre stage at many of the best places to stay in Oslo — as does a burgeoning culture of locally sourced produce, cooked in inventive, mouth-watering ways. Come for the culture, stay for the food, and soak up the natural wonders which make Oslo so special.
Best places to stay in Oslo
For a City Break
- Grims Grenka is right in the heart of the city. Interiors are stylish and modern, with generous loft rooms and a lively rooftop bar. A perfect base for city explorations.
- Hotel Gabelshus offers simple but smart rooms tucked behind an ivy-clad facade in a residential neighbourhood just ten minutes from the Royal Palace by tram. Especially well-placed for keen shoppers eager to stroll the Aker Brygge markets.
- Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz boasts colourful, well-appointed rooms just moments from museums and many of the main sights. Pick this spot for a central location, an excellent gym, in-room Bose sound systems and a lovely guest lounge ideal for relaxing.
- Saga Hotel is a charming central hotel in a 19th-century building with its own cosy restaurant. Expect chic design featuring sleek modern pieces with bold furnishings. Trendy boutiques and eateries are just a short walk away. Great for stylish couples on a city break!
For a design hotel
- The Thief is named for its special location: on Thief Island, 15 minutes from the centre of Oslo. This is a design hotel at its best, with original art by Warhol, Anthony Gormley and Julian Opie, dramatic public spaces and waterfront views. A haven for art lovers.
For boutique chic
- Oslo Guldsmeden Hotel is a wonderfully cosy boutique hotel set close to the lively harbour. Stylish rooms feature four-poster beds topped with warm furs, and the small Turkish-inspired spa is a dreamy place to unwind. Pick this place for a warm, romantic small-hotel vibe.
- Amerikalinjen is a seriously cool spot with eclectic interiors showcasing quirky Norwegian designers, tucked away in the former Norwegian America Line’s headquarters. Highlights include onsite eateries and the intimate Gustav jazz club. A chic boutique stay.
For classical grandeur
- The Grand Hotel is a striking historic residence which has welcomed guests from all over the world since 1874. The hotel features exquisitely decorated suites and luxurious public spaces behind an imposing facade on Oslo’s grandest street. A real treat!
- Hotel Continental offers a chic fusion of contemporary furnishings and classical design in a grand traditional building. Drink and dine in four bars and restaurants, before unwinding in the luxury of your elegant suite.
- Christiania Teater is a sumptuously decorated hotel housed in a gorgeous old theatre right in the city centre. Think bold velvet fabrics, eclectic Art Deco shapes and a cool, atmospheric vibe. The hip, dramatically-lit bar is the spot for a nightcap.
- Lysebu Hotel boasts chic, pared-back rooms with beautiful views of the Norwegian countryside. Stroll the expansive grounds, take a dip in the indoor pool and unwind with superb spa facilities. The real highlights, however, are the gourmet food — made from scratch using local ingredients — and the world-class wine cellar & tasting events.
- Camilla Hus is an intimate hotel with 7 beautifully-appointed rooms brimming with original period features and soothing elegance aplenty. The fabulous classic restaurant, Park 29, is located in Oslo’s oldest wooden-built villa — from 1847. Delicious dishes are inspired by French and Italian cuisine.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- International visitors can fly into Oslo Airport, 35km northeast of the city centre. Regular express trains, buses and taxis make travel from the airport to the city centre swift and easy.
- Contact our partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- The Oslo tourist season is at its peak in June and July, when the city experiences almost 24 hours of sunlight per day. Plan your trip for May or September to avoid the crowds and make the most of travel offers — though temperatures will be noticeably cooler! This is a hugely popular destination so do book well in advance to avoid missing out.
Still not sure?
- Browse our list of all the best places to stay in Bergen.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of the best places to stay in Norway.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Oslo
Best Hotels in Oslo
Thon Hotel Rosenkrantz, Oslo Oslo 151 rooms from AU$225Value chic - With doubles from just £120 B&B, it is excellent value.Great walks - Aker Brygge and Akershus Fortress nearbySights nearby - Royal PalaceRestaurant - Recommended.
A chic, contemporary hotel in heart of Oslo, providing 'home from home' comforts, with an emphasis on quality from the bed linen to the smart TV and Bose sound system. Bright, colourful rooms plus an exclusive guest lounge with great views. Perfect for business trips or local exploring. See More
Hotel Gabelshus Oslo 114 rooms from AU$242Sights nearby - 10 minute tram ride from the Royal Palace and the city centreLocal markets - Aker Brygge District.Great walks - Frogner Park.Traditional
An attractive hotel with an ivy clad facade in a peaceful residential area. Simply decorated rooms with lots of natural light, some with private balconies. Buffet breakfasts and set dinners. A good option for families, couples, and those keen to be close to the shopping district. See More
Oslo Guldsmeden Hotel Oslo 40 rooms from AU$217City Style - In an ideal central location, close to the lively Aker Brygge harbour area which is buzzing with shops and trendy barsGreat walks - Go to the western Bygdøy Peninsula for some stunning walks or swims in the summer, and to visit its various museumsSights nearby - Close to the Royal Palace and the lovely Frogner ParkRomantic - Good for couples.
A cosy boutique hotel set close to the lively harbour. Stylish interiors feature a mix of Eastern decor with wickerwork lampshades and gorgeous Kilim rugs. The cosy rooms are all furnished with modern fourposter beds, snug pelts and quirky artwork, and the organic breakfast is a treat! See More
Saga Hotel Oslo 47 rooms from AU$235City Style - Trendy restaurants and fashionable boutiques can be found on the buzzing Bogstadveien Street very nearbySights nearby - Located a stone's throw from the Royal Palace and the lovely Frogner ParkGreat walks - Head to the University Botanical Garden for some pretty walksLively area - In the thick of the action.
A charming central hotel in a 19th-century building with its own cosy restaurant. Expect chic design featuring sleek modern pieces with bold furnishings and wallpapers. Smart rooms have a subdued palette accented by gold throws and fabrics. A great city base, ideal for couples. See More
Grims Grenka Oslo 65 rooms from AU$272Roof terrace - Lively roof top bar and terrace.Sights nearby - Situated in the centre of Oslo close to all major attractionsRestaurant - MADU restaurant serves Nordic cuisineLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Christiania Teater Oslo 102 rooms from AU$279Local exploring - Situated just by Oslo's main street, within delightfully easy distance of the main sights and buzzing barsSights nearby - The Royal Palace, the Parliament buildings and City Hall are around the cornerRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotel
A quirky hotel in a historic old theatre bang in the centre. Stylish interiors have parquet floors and marble panels, with a wacky bar and restaurant featuring an eclectic mix of patterns and decor. Elegant rooms have colourful classic furniture and eye-catching wallpapers. A hip and happening base! See More
Lysebu Hotel Oslo 85 rooms from AU$359Country Escape - In Holmenkollen Park which has wonderful walking trails, as well as a ski arena, ideal for a wholesome country retreatSights nearby - Head to the Holmenkollen Chapel, the Kragstøtten sculpture or the nearby Bogstad ManorSwimming Pool - Year-round indoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.
An elegant hotel with expansive grounds and an indoor pool with indulgent spa facilities. Interiors exude a pared-back luxury, with fine classic furniture, gorgeous rugs and an extensive art collection, while stylish rooms are unfussy with a muted palette. The gourmet restaurant is a real highlight. See More
Camillas Hus Oslo 7 rooms from AU$492City Style - Excellent options for shopping and eating are to be found in this trendy neighbourhoodGreat walks - Head to the Bygdøy Peninsula on the west side, which has amazing walking and cycling trails as well as a cluster of museumsSights nearby - The iconic Frogner Park and the Royal Palace are both within easy walking distanceRomantic - Good for couples.
A stylish and intimate central hotel featuring a gourmet restaurant. Interiors have original period features such as panelling and high ceilings, with fine furniture and a pleasant palette of greys. Individually furnished rooms combine classic and modern elegance, with statement pieces. Delightful! See More
The Thief Oslo 119 rooms from AU$569Artworks - Artworks by Warhol, Anthony Gormley and Opie on displayViews - Great views from hotelCity StyleLuxuryRecommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
A superbly sophisticated designer hotel on Thief Island. Art from Warhol, Anthony Gormley and Opie along with brooding black and gold interior design gives a sombre effect. Rooms have magnificent waterfront views and all the mod cons. Excellent restaurant and spa. A haven for art lovers. See More
Hotel Continental, Oslo Oslo 155 rooms from AU$497City StyleFoodiesRestaurant - Five different restaurants from casual to top notch fine diningSights nearby - Five minute walk from the Royal Palace.Recommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
Amerikalinjen Oslo 122 rooms from AU$522Romantic Break - The heritage building and chic design of this hotel scores highly with couples; pop into the jazz club for a date nightLocal exploring - This hotel makes a great base for exploring Oslo, neighbouring many popular local landmarksCity Style - With designer interiors and a central location, this hotel has lots of city styleSights nearby - Visit the nearby Oslo Cathedral, the main church in Norway which is also used by the Norwegian Royal Family
This stylish boutique hotel is located in Oslo, Norway. The contemporary rooms feature high ceilings, wooden floors and Norwegian design pieces; book a suite for separate living space and a balcony with city views. Eat at the brasserie before drinks at the New York-style jazz club; a chic city stay. See More
Grand Hotel, Oslo Oslo 292 rooms from AU$603LuxuryGrand HotelCity StyleFoodiesRecommended by - CN Traveller