Search the best hotels in Londonderry
Londonderry - or Derry, depending on your views of Ireland's relationship with the United Kingdom - is a picturesque and bustling city and the only fully walled city in all of Ireland. The site of the Battle of Bogside and Bloody Sunday, it stands at the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic and was a major battleground during The Troubles. Yet over the last two decades, it has undergone a metamorphosis into a vibrant cultural centre, with a rejuvenated waterfront and a burgeoning live music scene. Our collection of the best places to stay in Londonderry range from chic boutiques to romantic boltholes.
Londonderry was founded in 1613 by a group of London merchants, who subsequently erected the glorious St. Colomb's Cathedral in 1633. It is one of the oldest buildings in the city and has a spire that stands at 221ft high. Inside is a treasure trove of historical artefacts, particularly in the Chapter House Museum, and should not be missed. You should also take a guided tour of the old walls and learn about the Siege of Derry: standing at 20ft high, the walls are adorned with cannons, gates and battlements, and offer gorgeous views of the city and its surroundings.
It should come as no surprise that Londonderry was named the UK's Capital of Culture in 2013. The incredible depth and variety of its historical heritage are astounding, not to mention the blossoming music scene or spectacular array of contemporary art. Of course, this boom didn't happen overnight: the city has long been a bastion of creativity, with the tune Londonderry Air - the melody for O Danny Boy - hailing from these parts. Take a guided tour of the Bogside Murals, some of the most hauntingly beautiful and politically-charged street art in Europe, depicting the violence, stasis and oppression that defined The Troubles. In the Museum of Free Derry, you will be further immersed in this dark and valiant world, and also learn more about the struggle for a united Ireland.
Be sure to check out Guildhall, without a doubt the most architecturally-beautiful building in the city and where the council regularly meets. Its red sandstone exterior, stunning stained-glass windows and neo-Gothic facade are truly wonderful to behold. Consider meandering down to Craft Village, one of the coolest places to go in Londonderry, a reconstructed 18th-century street that teems with craft stalls, bookshops, boutiques selling knitwear and street-food.
What not to miss
- Go on a guided tour of the Bogside Murals and see the haunting and beautiful depictions of The Troubles.
- Walk along the 17th-century bastions and see the blue hills of Donegal in the distant horizon.
- Head to the Tower Museum that charts the discovery of La Trinidad Valencera, the fourth largest ship of the Spanish Armada, that was discovered submerged off the coast of Donegal.
- Check out St. Colomb's Cathedral, one of the oldest buildings in the city, and marvel at the 221ft spire.
- Stroll through Craft Village, a reconstructed 18th-century street, where you can buy anything from second-hand books to handmade knitwear.
- Get yourself to the Centre for Contemporary Art, an excellent gallery displaying the finest modern art in the city.
To ensure a room at one of the best places to stay in Londonderry we recommend planning your trip well in advance.
The best places to stay in Londonderry
- Shipquay Hotel: in the heart of the city, this awesome hotel offers everything from plush rooms and gorgeous street-views to pampering spa facilities and a sumptuous restaurant.
- Bishop's Gate Hotel: ideal for couples on a romantic break, the swish and stylish rooms, gourmet restaurant and atmospheric bar make it an effortlessly classy place.
For an apartment or cottage
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of cottages and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges between 11 and 17 degrees.
- Fly to the City of Derry Airport.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our properties in County Londonderry.
- Browse through all of the best places to stay in Northern Ireland.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Londonderry
Best Hotels in Londonderry
Shipquay Hotel Londonderry 21 rooms from AU$178Sights nearby - A short walk from The Millennium Forum and the Guildhall.Great walks - Go for a walk along Derry's historic city walls.Spa
Bishop's Gate Hotel Londonderry 28 rooms from AU$188Sights nearby - History enthusiasts will enjoy a trip into the Bogside and to the famous Free Derry corner.Great walks - Go for a walk along the city's famous medieval walls.