Search the best hotels in Block Island
About Block Island
A picturesque island located off Rhode Island's southern coast, and home to just 950 residents, this is a laid-back sort of place. And, although it draws a crowd during the summer, local conservation has preserved its natural beauty. Boasting 17 miles of beach, 365 freshwater ponds (which host a wide range of bird-life) and miles of rolling farmland, this is a place to come and simply unwind. So the best places to stay in Block Island tend to be secluded spots (often with a sea view).
Besides lazy days spent on one of the picturesque beaches, there is plenty to keep you busy here. Navigating the expanse of hiking trails that wind across the island is a real draw for many, but the picturesque views can equally well be enjoyed on a cycling trip. Bird-spotters will find an array of species across the island and fisherfolk can choose from freshwater or ocean options.
The iconic red-brick South East Lighthouse has long been drawing crowds for its impressive architecture and spectacular coastal positioning. Likewise, Mohegan Bluffs, also provides beautiful coastal vistas and those who wish to descend the 150-feet will be rewarded with a serene beach below.
For history buffs the exhibitions at Block Island Historical Society are well worth a visit.
Despite the Block Island's tranquil aura, there is a good selection of restaurants and bars which have a lively vibe during the holiday season.
What not to miss:
- Spend a day navigating the hiking trails that span across the island.
- Bring your rod to fish and take a more laid-back approach to your sporting activities.
- Laze on one of the picturesque white-sand beaches.
- Admire the spectacular ocean views from Mohegan Bluffs.
- Grab your binoculars and set out to spot some of the birds on the island.
- Visit the iconic red-brick South East Lighthouse.
- Learn about the island's historical settlers at the Block Island Historical Society.
During the peak season, this is a popular destination so if you want to guarantee a room at one of the best places to stay in Block Island we recommend planning your trip well in advance.
The best places to stay in Block Island
- The Atlantic Inn is a tranquil hilltop boutique with views of the Old Harbour. The charming, antique filled rooms exude a relaxed vibe. Enjoy seasonal tapas, or a la carte dining, with an award winning wine list. A fantastic retreat offering tennis, croquet and magical sunsets from the lawn.
- Hotel Manisses is a beautifully renovated Victorian beach house offering guests boutique accommodation. Rooms are elegantly designed with plush furnishings. The restaurant menu is lovingly curated and the bar has an impressive selection of drinks and daily specials.
- Block Island Beach House offers the perfect combination of laid back vibes and gorgeous accommodation with vintage-inspired rooms, some of which have balconies with wonderful sea views and direct beach access. The onsite restaurant, The Surf, serves great food whilst the Beach Bar has an impressive cocktail menu.
For a holiday house or apartment
- Sometimes if you're travelling in a group or with extended family, the best option is to book a self catering property. If this would suit you better we recommend you check out the range with our online partner Booking.com.
- Block Island Ferry runs regular daily services from Point Judith in Narragansett. Choose between a traditional ferry that takes an hour and a high-speed one which takes 30 minutes. Private boats can also dock at the marinas or anchor at the Old or New Harbour.
- The best time to visit Block Island weather-wise is during the summer months of June-August when the temperature is balmy (around 25 degrees celsius). However, this is also the busiest time so if you want the island a little more tranquil we recommend visiting in the shoulder months of May and September when the weather is still clement and most of the crowds have gone.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Block Island
The Atlantic Inn 21 rooms from AU$234New Shoreham, Block Island
Tranquil hilltop boutique with views of the Old Harbour. The charming, antique filled rooms exude a relaxed vibe. Enjoy seasonal tapas, or al a carte, with an award winning wine list. Fantastic retreat offering tennis, croquet and magical sunsets from the lawn.Total relaxation - Peace and quiet with no TV or radio, sit out on the warparound veranda and watch the ships sail by from the Old Harbor.Great walks - This are is packed with fantastic walking, start off around the gardens and then head towards the harbour.Sights nearby - Check out the two neary lighthouses - Southeast and North.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Fodors
Hotel Manisses 17 rooms from AU$324RI, Block Island
A beautifully renovated Victorian beach house offering guests boutique accommodation. Rooms are elegantly designed with plush furnishings. The restaurant menu is lovingly curated and can be tailored to guest's needs for social events. The bar has an impressive selection of drinks and daily specials.Groups - Hotel Manisses caters to large groups with sample menus for private dining and block booking options for roomsHoneymoons - This romantic beachside hotel offering unique special touches for newlyweds is perfect for honeymooningBeach Life - Explore the iconic beach paradise of Block IslandSights nearby - Explore Block Island and its gorgeous landmarks including the South East Lighthouse
Block Island Beach House 31 rooms from AU$350New Shoreham, Block Island
Offering a perfect combination of laid back vibes and gorgeous accommodation with vintage-inspired rooms, some of which have balconies with impressive sea views, and direct beach access. The onsite restaurant, The Surf serves great food whilst the Beach Bar has an impressive cocktail menu.Beach Life - Block Island Beach House overlooking Crescent Beach offers the only beachfront hotel rooms on the island.Active Holiday - Block Island is a paradise for surfers, paddleboarders, walkers and cyclists alikeSurfing - Hit the waves in one of America's most iconic surf spotsViews - Great views from hotel