Search the best hotels in Charlottesville
Charlottesville gives you a taste of Old America and is regularly ranked as one of the best places to live in the USA. Sitting in the eastern foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, it's the gateway to the enchanting Shenandoah National Park and home to some of the finest colonial-era architecture in the USA. Our pick of the best places to stay in Charlottesville are ideal whether you're here for the history or tor the outdoors; some are inns in the centre of town, but we've also sourced country manors and vineyard B&Bs for those who prefer the bucolic vibe.
Perfect for culture-vultures, the city is richly steeped in history, including the mountain-top plantation of Thomas Jefferson, as well as a great many neoclassical buildings which he designed, like the campus of the University of Virginia. The pedestrianised historic centre, shaded by glorious magnolias, is a wonderful place to stroll, the streets lined with first-rate museums, wineries, art galleries, antiquarian bookstores, antique shops and chic boutiques, while on the outskirts you'll find lakes and rivers ideal for fishing trips, canoeing excursions and sailing expeditions.
Don't forget that the town is a popular destination whatever the season, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Charlottesville, get organised and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Charlottesville
For a country getaway
- The Boar's Head Inn is a 573-acre scenic playground perfect for all the family to relax, get active and explore quintessential Virginia through historical tours and wineries. Rooms are luxurious with access to the spa, pools, tennis & squash courts. Between The Old Mill Room, Bistro 1834 and The Cafe, you're truly spoiled for choice
- The Clifton is a wonderfully romantic Manor house, sitting on 100 acres just outside Charlottesville, Virginia. The rooms offer effortless elegance and modern comforts, with hardwood floors, velvet upholstery and vibrant artworks. Feast on farm to fork organic produce and local wines at the fine dining restaurant.
- Arcady Vineyard B&B is the only hotel in Charlottesville with a working vineyard. Set within acres of verdant countryside, the spacious guestrooms include a wine fridge and an evening turn-down service with dessert wine; take a glass to your private spa bath or the sit-out deck. A well-appointed wine retreat.
For the town centre
- 200 South Street Inn is an historic inn located in downtown Charlottesville. A quaint verandah surrounds the house, complete with rocking chairs. Inside, unwind on inviting four-poster beds by a heritage fireplace; antique furniture completes the suites. Enjoy wine and cheese hour with the host; a cosy hotel.
- Oakhurst Inn is a boutique property sitting in the heart of historic Charlottesville. Inside, smart furnishings and decor has a 50s feel. There's a cafe for breakfast and lunch and you're a complimentary trolley ride from the Downtown Mall for shopping and dining.
- Dinsmore Boutique Inn occupies a heritage property in the University of Virginia's Corner District. There are nine individually designed rooms all of which offer the perfect blend of period features and contemporary comforts. Plus there's the added bonus of acclaimed on site restaurant The Farm Bell Kitchen.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to visit is during the Fall - Virginia in the Fall is one of America's greatest gifts - when the colours of the state are red and gold. In this period the temperature ranges between 8 and 25 degrees celsius.
- Fly to Washngton Dulles International Airport. Get a taxi to the Manassas train station, from where you can get a direct train to Charlottesville. The journey takes a little over than 2 hours.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Charlottesville
200 South Street Inn Charlottesville (Virginia) 24 rooms from AU$255
This historic inn sits in downtown Charlottesville, West Virginia. A quaint verandah surrounds the house, complete with rocking chairs. Inside, unwind on inviting four-poster beds by a heritage fireplace; antique furniture completes the suites. Enjoy wine and cheese hour with the host; a cosy hotel.Romantic Break - Couples love the romantic atmosphere at this classic southern inn, in particular the daily wine and cheese hour with the hostsLocal exploring - With the best historic sites, bars and restaurants close by, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in VirginiaCity Style - Set in a heritage property in the heart of downtown Charlottesville, this hotel has lots of local city charmRomantic - Good for couples.
Oakhurst Inn Charlottesville (VA) 44 rooms from AU$270
This boutique inn sits in the heart of historic Charlottesville. Inside, an open hearth is flanked by homely, eclectic furnishings with a 50s feel. The rich green and brown palette extends to the guest suites, dressed with plants and hand-picked artwork. Have brunch at the chic café; a stylish stay.Local exploring - With the university and the mall close by, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in CharlottesvilleRomantic Break - Couples rate this hotel highly for its luxury finish and romantic suites; have brunch at the cosy hotel caféCity Style - Set in a charming, boutique property in the heart of the city, this hotel has lots of local styleSights nearby - Visit the Downtown Mall, the largest pedestrian mall in the USA; the hotel offers a free shuttle to the mall regularly
Arcady Vineyard B&B Charlottesville (VA) 5 rooms from AU$271
This B&B is the only hotel in Charlottesville with a working vineyard. Set within acres of verdant countryside, the spacious guestrooms include a wine fridge and an evening turn-down service with dessert wine; take a glass to your private spa bath or the sit-out deck. A well-appointed wine retreat.Romantic Break - Couples love the stylish and comfortable guestrooms at this hotel; unwind with a glass of wine in your own romantic spa bathLocal exploring - Located in the heart of the Virginia wine country, this hotel is perfectly placed for guests to explore local wineriesCountry Escape - Set on a vineyard in the bucolic Virginia countryside, this hotel makes an authentic country bolt-holeGreat walks - Explore the Virginian countryside surrounding the hotel on a long walk; ask the hotel to prepare a picnic basket to take
Dinsmore Boutique Inn Charlottesville 9 rooms from AU$292
This boutique hotel is set in a renovated, 19th-century townhouse in midtown Charlottesville. Classic columns welcome guests, leading to a bright reception room with period furnishings. The distinctive suites feature preserved heritage details like exposed beams, plus luxury amenities. A chic hotel.City Style - Set in a heritage property in the University of Virginia’s Corner District, this hotel has lots of local city styleRomantic Break - Couples love the romantic atmosphere at this hotel; book a luxury suite for a private verandahFoodies - Foodies will love the hotel's acclaimed on-site restaurant, Farm Bell KitchenSights nearby - Visit the Historic Downtown Mall of Virginia, one of the largest pedestrian shopping streets in the USA
Boar's Head Inn Charlottesville (Virginia) 175 rooms from AU$293
573-acre scenic playground for all the family to relax, get active and explore quintessential Virginia through historical tours and wineries. Rooms are luxurious with access to the spa, pools, tennis & squash courts. Between The Old Mill Room, Bistro 1834 and The Cafe,one is truly spoiled for choiceGreat walks - Around the golf course, or into town, there is always time for a leisurely stroll.Fishing - Schedule a lesson or take to the lake yourself with some fly fishing.Cooking classes - Cooking classes and demonstrations are a popular activity.Sights nearby - Oak Ridge Estate is 200 years old and worth a visit.
The Clifton Charlottesville 20 rooms from AU$339
A wonderfully romantic Manor house, sitting on 100 acres just outside Charlottesville, Virginia. The rooms offer effortless elegance and modern comforts, with hardwood floors, velvet upholstery and vibrant artworks. Feast on farm to fork organic produce and local wines at the fine dining restaurant.Honeymoons - For the perfect romantic getaway rent the honeymoom cottage- an intimate and enchanting spot with stunning mountain viewsFoodies - Book the Chef’s Counter where you can watch the kitchen whip up innovative locally sourced dishes first handGreat walks - Don't forget your hiking boots- there are numerous stunning trails dotted throughout the areaSwimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolRecommended by - Tablet, Great Small Hotels