Search the best hotels in Holderness
It was in the 19th century that visitors discovered the charms of Holderness in New Hampshire. Situated between mountains and lakes, it proved a cool summer retreat particularly for inhabitants of Boston and Baltimore seeking an escape from the heat. Today, it’s both a summer and winter resort - as well as a place to enjoy the famous New England fall - and choosing one of our best places to stay in Holderness will allow you to enjoy the best of the town and surroundings, whatever season you arrive.
What Not To Miss
- Still largely a rural town, one of the big attractions are the Squam Lakes at the base of the White Mountains, which offer some of the clearest water in the county. Here you can go kayaking, paddle-boarding or take a leisurely cruise.
- To get closer to the wildlife, pop into the Squam Lakes Natural Science Center where you can see bobcats, mountain lions and bald eagles.
- The area has plenty of hiking opportunities too, including a popular family trail through oak and pine forests of West Rattlesnake Mountain to a spectacular viewpoint.
- Come winter, you’ll find plenty of downhill and cross-country skiing trails.
- Enjoy the best of local produce at the Longhaul Farm including everything from meats to ice cream and activities such as gardening workshops and music events.
Use our best places to stay in Holderness to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Holderness
For rural elegance
- Set in 13 acres and with sweeping views over lakes and mountains, The Manor on Golden Pond is a beautiful, serene retreat. The New England-style country manor house is awash with elegance and home comforts - some rooms with fires - plus there’s an outdoor pool.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a selection of properties ideal for making the most of Squam Lake.
- Fly to Portland International Jetport located 130km (80.6 miles) from Holderness with domestic flights across the U.S along with international connections to Canada.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the mountains and lakes, for prices visit our online partner, Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer from June to August to enjoy various outdoor pursuits, or the Winter months for the skiing.
Still Not Sure?
Best Hotels in Holderness
The Manor on Golden Pond Holderness (New Hampshire) 24 rooms from AU$383Local markets - Visit local craft and antique storesCooking classes - Fine Cooking ProgramRestrictions on children - No childrenKayaking - Squam LakeRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Fodors
A fine New England country manor house set in idyllic grounds with sweeping views of the nearby lake and surrounding hills. Bedrooms feel stately; some have cosy fireplaces and private jacuzzi baths. The hotel has a sophisticated dining room as well as a more relaxed bar area. Quiet and secluded. See More