Search the best hotels in Tucson
Tucson is fringed by the beautiful Catalina foothills, in the heart of the magical diversity of the Sonoran Desert. Despite being in a desert, pockets of Tucson have plenty of water and this spot has been inhabited by humans for around 10,000 years. The best places to stay in Tucson can be found in the centre of town, or up in the foothills by the giant cacti, but all of our Guru’s recommendations are interesting culturally and historically. It’s just that kind of a town.
Because of its water, Tucson has always been an important spot on Arizona’s travel routes. As well as being beautiful and historic, modern Tucson is also lively and extremely rich culturally.
Tucson’s colourful look and feel is influenced by Hispanic heritage, ancient past and the fact that up until fairly recently it was part of Mexico. So expect plenty of Spanish speakers and some extremely good Mexican restaurants.
There are also some great boutiques in town, but for most visitors the desert, Saguaro National Park or the Santa Catalina Mountains call. Hike, bike, explore, collect and generally see as much of this uniquely beautiful countryside as you have time for.
What not to miss:
- Hike or bike through the epic desert landcape at Saguaro National Park.
- Visit the sprawling Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum including an aquarium, zoo, botanical garden, natural history museum, and art gallery.
- Stop by the striking 18th-century Mission San Xavier del Bac (known as the White Dove of the Desert).
- Stroll through the fascinating Tucson Museum of Art and Historic Block which pays tribute to the city's vibrant past.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Tucson range from a Dude ranch to a historic inn in the centre of town - definitely something for everyone!
For the Catalina Foothills
- The Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch is a 59 room resort set in 39 acres of the beautiful Catalina foothills. The decor is rustic but chic, with exposed beams, wooden floors and handcrafted furniture. There is a pool and restaurant and spectacular views of the desert from almost anywhere in the ranch’s grounds.
- If your idea of the best places to stay in Tucson would be a bit closer to the heart of town then how about the Arizona Inn? A charming, historic inn offering a choice of 95 rooms or suites, apartments or private ‘houses’ with their own pool. You can also choose whether to dine indoors or out.
For a working ranch experience
- Book the Tanque Verde Ranch for a taste of the West. There are loads of activities for all the family, plus outdoor pool, tennis court and various dining options.
For an apartment or holiday home
If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to Tucson International Airport located 10 miles from the centre of Tucson. The city also has a train station with good connections across the state.
- Best time to visit - Tucson is a year round destination boasting 350 days of sunshine however the summer months of June - September can be very hot with temperatures in the hottest month of June peaking at 38°C.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Tucson
Hacienda Del Sol Guest Ranch Tucson 59 rooms from AU$277Swimming Pool - Year round outdoor pool.Lively - Hip and happening.Full of characterBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
A luxurious and historic resort nestled in 39 acres of the breathtaking Catalina foothills. Rooms are chic & rustic with exposed beams, wooden floors, oriental rugs and handcrafted furniture. The restaurants, supplied by the organic vegetable garden, command spectacular views of the desert. See More
Arizona Inn Tucson (Arizona) 95 rooms from AU$438DowntownBirdwatching - 250 species of birds to spot.Sights nearby - Tucson Botanical Gardens.Full of character
Verdant lawns, flowers and fountains surround this luxury historic resort. Charm, comfort and a home from home vibe is great to find in the heart of this desert city. You have a choice of a private house with pool or a cozy room. Inviting dining options, inside or al fresco will suite your mood! See More
Tanque Verde Ranch Tucson (Arizona) 69 rooms from AU$660Fishing - For all the family - get a packed lunch for on the go.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of characterOutstanding location
Working ranch offers a Western experience in Saguaro National Park with pool, spa and tennis courts. Large classic rooms have red rock views, mod-cons and bathrooms. Southwest, BBQ and Mexican cuisine is served by the pool or at the restaurant overlooking the great outdoors. Activity central! See More