Search the best hotels in Moissac
40km east of Agen, nestling quietly by the River Tarn, and on the pilgrimage route of Santiago de Compostela, lies Moissac. Perched amidst rolling fields of sunlit vineyards and orchards, at first glance Moissac is an unremarkable town because much of the historic centre was destroyed during a terrible spate of floods in 1930. However, people flock to Moissac for one reason: the Abbey of St. Peter. Founded in the 7th century, much of the building seen today was constructed in the early 12th century, and is reputed to have the most beautiful cloisters in the world, lined with 76 marble columns and fine carvings, and guarding an enchanting frescoed interior. There is also a fantastic museum - the Centre for Romanesque Art - and the town has access to the Canal du Midi. While it isn't your typical historic French market town, (the floods destroyed much of its heritage, aside from the Abbey), it is a great starting point for exploring the wider region, and the best places to stay in Moissac provide the ideal base.
What not to miss
- Wander the beautiful cloisters of the Abbey of St. Peter.
- Visit the Centre for Romanesque Art.
- Attend the annual Jazz festival in late June.
- Go boating along the Canal du Midi.
- Head 20mins outside of Moissac to the charming historic market town of Auvillar.
- Walk through the orchards, vineyards and sunny hills surrounding Moissac.
On first impressions, Moissac has little to offer: lacking in the picturesque, historically-rich architecture that is commonplace in Occitanie, it appears dull at first. But hidden behind the modern facades lie historic gems waiting to be explored - like the world-famous abbey. A great stepping stone for wider ventures, it is the perfect destination for a family holiday. Find out more by checking out our collection of the best places to stay in Moissac.
The best places to stay in Moissac
- Le Moulin de Moissac: ideal for a family, this beautiful hotel is set in a renovated 18th century mill. Offering rooms blending contemporary and traditional styles, there's a charming restaurant serving the best of local produce, a children's playground and a wellness centre. A great place to unwind after a busy day of sightseeing!
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer, when the temperature ranges between 15 and 29 degrees.
- Fly to Toulouse Airport and get a train to Moissac - the journey takes 50 minutes.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include nearby Montauban,
- or all the best places to stay in Tarn-et-Garonne,
- alternatively contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Moissac
Best Hotels in Moissac
Le Moulin de Moissac Moissac 23 rooms from CA$139Local exploring - Situated near pretty Moissac in the picturesque Midi-Pyrénées known for its historic and gastronomic heritage.Spa breaks - The wellness centre includes a sauna, hot tub, hammam and a range of massage and beauty treatments.Sights nearby - Visit the cloistered Abbey of St. Pierre, a UNESCO World Heritage site.Great walks - Find miles of scenic walking trails starting from near the property.
A majestic 18th century mill on the riverbank of the Tarn. Charming rooms perfectly mix traditional and contemporary styles and all have views of the river. There is a superb traditional French restaurant, wellness centre and children's playground. A tranquil base to explore the region. See More