Search the best hotels in Moissac
Set on the banks of the River Tarn, 40km east of Agen, Moissac is an intriguing French destination. Part of the Tarn-et-Garonne region, the town has long attracted culture-minded visitors, fascinated by the ancient Abbey of St. Peter. Many of the best places to stay in Moissac are within sight of this awe-inspiring landmark; perfect for couples, friends or families eager to discover this part of France.
Although much of Moissac was destroyed during a series of floods in 1930, the Abbey of St. Peter has been carefully preserved. Founded in the 7th Century but built largely during the 12th, the Abbey is believed to have the most beautiful cloisters in the world. Lined with 76 marble columns and fine carvings which reveal a frescoed interior, the cloisters will delight art and history aficionados alike. Guided tours come highly recommended; as do visits to the Centre for Romanesque Art.
Other nearby highlights include boat trips along the Canal du Midi, strolls around the market town of Auvillar and hikes in the surrounding orchards, vineyards and hills. The best places to stay in Moissac fill up especially fast during the annual jazz festival each June — book your room well in advance!
The Best Places to Stay in Moissac
- Hôtel & Spa Le Moulin de Moissac is a beautifully restored 18th-century mill on the banks of the Tarn River. Rooms fuse modern furnishings with original features. There's an excellent spa for wellness treatments and Le M.1474 specialises in gourmet regional cuisine. Ideal for romantic couples, spa retreat guests and big events.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Toulouse Blagnac Airport, and journey by bus, train or car to Moissac. The drive takes under an hour; trains are slower but brilliant if you don't have your own transport.
- The Tarn-et-Garonne region is great for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures ranging between 21 and 29°C in June to August. May or September-October are ideal for quieter trips. Avoid the school holidays and peak summer if you can; this is the busiest time of year.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Montauban.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Tarn-et-Garonne.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Moissac
Best Hotels in Moissac
Le Moulin de Moissac Moissac 23 rooms from £82Local exploring - Situated near pretty Moissac in the picturesque Midi-Pyrénées known for its historic and gastronomic heritage.Spa breaks - The wellness centre includes a sauna, hot tub, hammam and a range of massage and beauty treatments.Sights nearby - Visit the cloistered Abbey of St. Pierre, a UNESCO World Heritage site.Great walks - Find miles of scenic walking trails starting from near the property.
A majestic 18th century mill on the riverbank of the Tarn. Charming rooms perfectly mix traditional and contemporary styles and all have views of the river. There is a superb traditional French restaurant, wellness centre and children's playground. A tranquil base to explore the region. See More