Moustiers Sainte Marie
Search the best hotels in Moustiers Sainte Marie
About Moustiers Sainte Marie
Set into craggy limestone cliffs, Moustiers Sainte-Marie is a gorgeous Provençal destination for active explorers of all ages. Home to just 700 people, the town offers a small choice of charming accommodation options for families, couples and groups. Our pick of the best places to stay in Moustiers Sainte-Marie are based slightly out of town, ensuring the ideal balance between rural tranquility and proximity to myriad activities.
Amble around Moustiers' pedestrianised town centre to admire the ochre-painted façades of heritage buildings, popping into little boutiques, cafés and sun-drenched squares as you go. The Musée de la Faïence, detailing the history of the town’s famous tin-glazed pottery, is a highlight, as is the Romanesque Notre Dame de l’Assomption Church. Further up the hill, Chapelle Notre-Dame-de-Beauvoir, a small hermitage, promises expansive views of the town and the Lake of Sainte-Croix beyond, as does the Ravin de Notre Dame waterfall. Don’t miss spotting the mysterious golden star twinkling above the village and delving into the legends which surround it.
Further attractions include the picturesque lavender fields of the Valensole Plateau, as well as the Gorges du Verdon — one of the largest river canyons in Europe. Challenge yourself to adrenaline-pumping climbs and hikes, or go mountain biking, horse riding, kayaking, paddle boarding and rafting. You can also sail or windsurf on the Lake of Sainte-Croix. The teams at the best places to stay in Moustiers Sainte-Marie can organise gliding and hot air balloon excursions, too!
The Best Places to Stay in Moustiers Sainte Marie
For a Charming B&B
- La Ferme Rose is a quaint B&B with simple rooms featuring whitewashed walls, exposed beams, terracotta-tiled floors and displays of the owner's eclectic collection of objets. With a swimming pool, gardens and big breakfasts, this is a lovely rural base for couples or families.
For Understated Luxury
- La Bastide de Moustiers offers a gorgeous Provençal escape, with olive and lavender gardens and views over the limestone cliffs. Rooms and suites are elegant and understated. However, the big draw is Chef Alain Ducasse's delectable restaurant, where dishes are crafted using produce from the kitchen gardens. Unwind in the pool, sunbathe in a hammock, or take a hot air balloon ride over the valley. Sublime.
FOR A HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nice-Côte d'Azur Airport, two hours' drive from Moustiers, or take the TGV from Paris to a regional hub such as Les Arcs Draguignan or Marseille. Hop aboard the bus or drive from there.
- Provence is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect warm summers — with temperatures averaging around 20-28°C — and mild winters. Summer is peak holiday season, but spring and autumn are also excellent for outdoor activities.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in La Palud-sur-Verdon.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Provence.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Moustiers Sainte Marie
Best Hotels in Moustiers Sainte Marie
La Ferme Rose Moustiers Sainte Marie 11 rooms from CA$174Country Escape - With stunning views from the garden that has a pool & quiet areas to sit with a glass of wine — this is a relaxing rural escapeRomantic Break - For romantic getaways take one of the balconied suites, with views over the valley and simple elegant interiorsGreat walks - There are endless walks starting from the gardens and heading through the lovely countrysideSights nearby - Visit the stunning Les Gorges du Verdon, one of Europe's most beautiful river gorges
A quirky and charming pink villa b&b in a picturesque rural setting. Rooms are elegant and simple with whitewashed walls, beams, terracotta tiled floors and terraces. There's a pretty garden, a large swimming pool with stunning views and vast collection of the owner's objets. A quaint Provence stay. See More
La Bastide de Moustiers Moustiers Sainte Marie 13 rooms from CA$483Foodies - Alain Ducasse’s Michelin starred gastronomic restaurant is foodie heaven, with all vegetables from the hotel's kitchen gardenCountry Escape - A Provence country escape, surrounded by lush gardens and in a pretty village at the base of some dramatic limestone cliffsGreat walks - Wander through the picturesque Verdon National Park particularly enjoyable when accompanied by a hotel picnicHotel Entertainment - Spend a leisurely day catching up on your reading in the green house hammocks or by the poolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Sawdays
A 17th-century bastide with magnificent cuisine under Alain Ducasse. Understated, elegant interiors kept simple and white with rustic natural touches. Lavender filled gardens surround a large swimming pool. Shady terraces ideal for sipping on a chilled glass of wine. Rural France at its finest. See More