Search the best hotels in Toulouse
Nicknamed ‘La Ville Rose’, Toulouse is a famously beautiful city of pink-tinged brick buildings. Split into two parts by the Garonne River and fringed by the Canal du Midi, this sophisticated hub is the centre of the Haute-Garonne region. Toulouse is also the gateway to many of the smaller towns and villages of the nearby Lot and Dordogne. A wealth of accommodation options reflect Toulouse’s long-standing appeal, with simple B&Bs as well as glamorous design hotels aplenty. Book a room at one of the best places to stay in Toulouse and head out to explore!
The imposing Place du Capitole is widely regarded as the heart of the pink city. Admire heritage churches, municipal buildings, halls and theatres on foot or by bicycle; take a guided tour to really delve into the city’s past. The plethora of cultural highlights include the 17th-century Carmelite Chapel, the Basilica St. Sernin and the Cathédrale St. Etienne. The Jacobins Monastery and Wilson Square are also lovely. Art aficionados can wander the halls of the Musée des Augustins and the more modern Les Abattoirs, before contemplating the city’s role as an aerospace centre at La Cité de l'Espace. Amble along Rue Emile Cartailhac towards the river, lose yourself in winding cobbled lanes or take a boat tour to see the city from the water.
The second-hand shops around Rue Peyrolières yield excellent finds, as do the monthly Brocante des Allées François Verdier and the food and book markets on Place Arnaud-Bernard. You’re in one of France’s foodie hotspots, famous for foie gras, duck confit, truffles and tapenade. Speak to the teams at the best places to stay in Toulouse for restaurant recommendations and delight in eating your way around the city.
The Best Places to Stay in Toulouse
For Great Value
- Hotel Ibis Styles Toulouse Capitole is right alongside the Place du Capitole. A rose-brick 17th-century townhouse transformed into a smart city hotel, this is a top spot for business or leisure travellers looking for modern amenities and affordable prices in a central location.
- Hotel Albert 1er is a family-run 3-star hotel with a friendly team. Set just 100 metres from the Place du Capitole, it's well-located for on-foot explorations, but there are also bikes for hire and restaurant recommendations aplenty. Enjoy big breakfasts and relax in comfortable, well-appointed rooms. A classic, well-priced choice.
- Atout Carmes has two contemporary suites, each with self-catering facilities. Ideal for small groups of friends or family travelling together, the suites each have two bedrooms. Breakfasts are served in the dining room each morning. A lovely choice for those planning a longer stay.
- Mama Shelter Toulouse, tucked in a former cinema, is a fabulous choice for fun-loving travellers. Sociable individuals or groups will love the inviting shared spaces, including a buzzy rooftop bar, convivial eatery and cinema room. Small, well-designed rooms feature illuminated headboards and monochrome geometric carpets. Great fun.
For Classic Charm
- Grand Hotel de L'Opera, opposite the Théâtre du Capitole and close to designer boutiques, was once a medieval college. It has been transformed into a heritage hotel with elegant rooms and suites, two glamorous restaurants and a soothing spa. For fans of classic style.
For A Design Hotel
- L'Hôtel des Beaux Arts is housed in the city's former fine arts school. Carefully restored rooms have been individually designed, offering a spectrum of contemporary and classic styles, with bold artwork. Brilliant for design aficionados, the hotel also has a very good restaurant and free bikes for hire. A chic boutique base.
- Hôtel Du Grand Balcon has sleek guest rooms with modernist paintings, high-tech touches and a nod to the magic of air travel. A luxurious design hotel by architect Jean-Philippe Nuel in a 1930s brick building, this is a top spot for romantic couples and well-heeled travellers. On the Place du Capitole.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Toulouse Blagnac Airport, and journey into the city by shuttle bus or car. Alternatively, travel by train from other French hubs; the TGV from Paris takes just under five hours.
- The Haute-Garonne, around Toulouse, is great for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car. If you're planning to explore within the city, you'll find that public transport, pedestrianised zones and cycle lanes make having a car largely unnecessary.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures ranging between 20 and 28°C from June to August. May or September-October are ideal for quieter trips. Avoid the school holidays and peak summer if you can; this is easily the busiest time of year in the city.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in the Haute-Garonne.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the nearby Dordogne.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Toulouse
Best Hotels in Toulouse
Hotel Ibis Styles Toulouse Capitole Toulouse 38 rooms from CA$101Local exploring - Overlooking the Place du Capitole, this hotel is ideally located to explore the historic centre by footLocal markets - Wander through Capitole de Toulouse and browse the art exhibitions and markets held thereSights nearby - Stroll down and visit the Basilique Saint-Sernin and the quays of the Garonne
A chic modern hotel set within a grand 19th-century building with an unbeatable central location besides Capitole de Toulouse. Spacious rooms are uniformly styled with pale wooden floors, whitewashed walls, and large black and white photos. A smart city crashpad offered at very reasonable rates. See More
Mama Shelter Toulouse Toulouse 120 rooms from CA$116Families - Parents can opt for a family room at this hotel; the useful amenities like in-room films means that kids will love staying hereLocal exploring - Explore the picturesque streets of Toulouse from this well-located hotel, perfect for discovering the cityCity Style - With well-appointed rooms and a central location, this hotel has lots of chic city styleSights nearby - Visit the nearby Basilique Saint-Sernin de Toulouse, a famous historic abbey and national monument
This vibrant hotel is tucked away behind the facade of a former cinema on Boulevard Lazare Carnot in Toulouse. Contemporary guestrooms have innovative design, with an illuminated frame headboard, monochrome carpets and splashes of bold colour - a stylish and cosy base for exploring an exciting city. See More
Hotel Albert 1er Toulouse 47 rooms from CA$117Local exploring - This hotel is the perfect starting point for local exploring in Toulouse, with the city's top attractions located close byCity Style - Set in the heart of Toulouse in a pretty, period property, this hotel has lots of local city charmFamilies - Family rooms are great value for parents travelling with childrenSights nearby - Walk to the impressive Place du Capitole and its Théâtre du Capitole opera house, one of the most famous landmarks in the city
'Slow tourism' is at the heart of this boutique hotel in Toulouse. The hotel's central location makes it the perfect base for local sightseeing, and bikes are available to help guests explore the city in an eco-friendly way. Start the day with a fresh, locally sourced breakfast before setting out. See More
Atout Carmes Toulouse 2 rooms from CA$168City StyleSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Local markets - Good for local colour.
A contemporary chic B&B. Big bright airy suites with kitchenettes - light parquet floors, huge comfy beds, high ceilings, and views into a inner courtyard. An excellent choice for families, couples or groups, looking for a bit more privacy and independence. See More
Hotel des Beaux Arts Toulouse 19 rooms from CA$190City Style - Located in the former fine arts school of Toulouse, and now exhibiting the work of local artists, this hotel is chic and stylishRomantic Break - Couples love the unique atmosphere of this contemporary hotel and the romantic views over the Garonne RiverLocal exploring - Located just above the old town in Toulouse, this hotel is in a great location for local exploringGreat walks - Wander round the Jardin Royal, a beautiful public park remodelled in the 1860s; it now features a lake and exotic plants
This four-star, boutique hotel is located in Toulouse in the former fine arts school. Having undergone a loving restoration, the individually styled rooms boast a blend of classic and contemporary interiors with unique artworks; book the Cosmos Room for a cosy private terrace. A unique design hotel. See More
Grand Hotel de L'Opera Toulouse 54 rooms from CA$285Sights nearby - Perfect location bang in the centre of town.Local markets - Good for local colour.Restaurant - Recommended.SpaRecommended by - CN Traveller
A rather historic Grand Hotel formerly a convent. Excellently located opposite the Théâtre du Capitole and near to designer shops. Regal suites overlook the square, some have private balconies. Excellent meeting rooms and a spa for unwinding. See More
Hotel Le Grand Balcon Toulouse 31 rooms from CA$307City StyleSights nearby - Great location in the centre of townLocal markets - Good for local colour.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet
A super cool design hotel with all the modern gadgetry necessary for a business trip or holiday break. Sleek sky-themed bedrooms with modernist paintings and funky lighting. A stylish getaway. See More