Search the best hotels in Pompeii
Modern Pompeii has become a sort of satellite town of Naples, but no one is coming for that, we’re all fascinated by ancient Pompeii, ruined dramatically by the eruption of Vesuvius as described by Pliny, and now one of the world’s most interesting archaeological sites. If you’re looking for a base to explore the whole area then our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Pompeii also include some great clifftop options between Pompeii and Sorrento.
What not to Miss
- Pompeii’s appeal comes from the suddenness of its destruction. It wasn’t destroyed, it was covered under fragments of burning pumice stone, so it’s all there preserved underneath. Ruins of the Roman streets, the baths, the temples, houses and amphitheatre. Plus around two thousand people who were unlucky enough to be living there in 79AD.
- One of the wonders of Pompeii is that it’s such a huge site and around a third of is still un-excavated, so there are more treasures to be unearthed. Pompeii’s size also means that you’re sort of just wandering amid the eery ruins. There aren’t that many signs, and there are some areas which are blocked in a worrying sort of way, so it’s a good idea to invest in a good guidebook or else the audio guide to ensure you get the most out of your explorations.
Being so popular many of the best places to stay in Pompeii or nearby are snapped up quickly so to be sure of your choice of accommodation do plan and book early.
For easy access to the ruins
- The Casa di Plinio is an elegant B&B, located about as close as you can be to the ruins of Pompeii. There are just three traditional rooms, with brick walls and exposed wooden beams, wrought iron beds and some nice antiques. They do a hearty breakfast each morning served in the dining room or outside on the terrace.
- The Villa Silvana is a classic hotel converted from a beautiful, noble villa and surrounding gardens. There are only four rooms, classically styled with frescoes on the walls and period furniture. But it’s the location, at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius, which is what really matters.
For Perfect Views
- Just a short drive away along the coast towards Sorrento is the Grand Hotel La Medusa, an impressive 49 room hotel with sea views and excellent facilities. The collection of rooms and suites offers classical elegance with all the mind. cons., plus there’s an enormous pool. Great for families.
- Also between Sorrento and Pompeii, the Relais Manfredi is a home-from-home hotel with 15 rooms - all with sea views and four-poster beds, sofas and a writing desk. The restaurant has incredible views of Mt. Vesuvius.
- Even further along the route to Sorrento is the Capo la Gala, a luxurious, five start hotel set right into the cliff face. There are 22 chic rooms and suites, some with private balconies and plunge pools, plus there’s a spa and a Michelin starred restaurant with a hanging terrace. La dolce vita.
For an Apartment or Villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Pompeii is about 30minutes from Sorrento and about 45minutes from Naples. With Naples Airport being the closest airport. You can catch the Circumvesuviana train, which runs between Naples and Sorrento, and leaves about every 30minutes, or you can catch the National Rail train which alights at the station in the town of Pompeii, which is about 700metres from the entrance to the ruins.
- If you want to hire a car - which we strongly advise if you’re staying in Pompeii an you want to see more of Naples and the Amalfi Coast - we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars
- The traditional tourist season to Naples and the Amalfi Coast runs from the Easter holidays until the first weekend of November. Summer is the busiest time, but if you’re not restricted on when you travel it’s worth considering visiting between April and the middle of June, or between September and mid-October. Both of these periods are quieter and the weather is beautiful - and not too hot!
Still not sure?
- Browse though our list of all the best places to stay near Pompeii,
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Naples,
- Or the best places to stay in Sorrento,
- Or expand further to include the best places to stay in Campania,
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Pompeii
Best Hotels in Pompeii
Casa di Plinio NA, Campania 3 rooms from CA$102Value chic - Great value for money, in a fantastic location, with comfortable stylish rooms and friendly welcoming staff.Local exploring - The perfect spot for exploring- close to the archaeological sites as well as the city centre.Writing a novel - Be inspired by the history of this city and a homely vibe at the hotel.Great walks - Go hiking across the Path of the Gods from Agerola to Positano and soak up the amazing views.
Villa Silvana Pompeii (Boscoreale) 4 rooms from CA$219Value chic - Comfortable and elegant accommodation, in a stunning historical structure at a very reasonable rate.Local exploring - A great location for exploring, close to Naples, Sorrento and Pompeii.Sights nearby - The archaeological site of Pompeii located close by cannot be missed.Great walks - This area abounds in beautiful hikes into the countryside.
A classic hotel born from careful restoration of a noble villa, surrounded by gardens. Ideally situated at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius, and close to Naples. Rooms are classical in style - hand painted frescoes on the walls and period furniture add elegance. Sweet and charming. See More