Search the best hotels in St John's
About St John's
St. John’s is the oldest city in North America and the largest in Newfoundland. With so much history within the city, we think the best places to stay in St. John’s are within one of the original houses. There are a handful of converted historical buildings that brim with charm and boast spectacular sea views.
The colourful, independent nature of Newfoundland culture makes this city fresh and unique, and because of this it draws in artists, musicians, writers, and creative chefs. Set on a hill, the iconic sight of St John's is rows upon rows of brightly coloured houses.
When exploring the city, Signal Hill is a great place to start, it’s only a small castle/fort, but it's the town's most famous landmark, plus the views are amazing and there’s a regular military tattoo and cannon firing. Then, the Rooms Museum offers a strange visual cacophony of attractions in a massive stone and glass complex and is a real must-see. The city also has an excellent geological museum plus, there’s a cathedral and a basilica and some fantastic parks and gardens.
Within easy reach of St John’s are the Avalon Peninsula, the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve, Cape Spear, Ferryland (one of the oldest settlements in North America), and beautiful Quidi Vidi. There are also opportunities to take whale and puffin spotting excursions.
To bag a room in one of the best places to stay in St John's during the summer months, we recommend booking well in advance as they tend to get booked up fast
The best places to stay in St John's
For period grandeur
- Ryan Mansion is a charming mansion turned 11 room boutique hotel where you can expect four-poster beds, art, antiques and roaring open fires. You’re also well located for all the town's best bits.
For a central location
- If you want to be right in the centre of St John's overlooking its historic waterfront, then book a room in the Murray Premises Hotel. Rooms are spacious and comfortable and you're well placed for the nightlife on nearby lively George Street.
For great value
- If you’re looking for a warm welcome and great value then try Leaside Manor. This 20 room family run B&B has lovely decor and local art on the walls, plus tubs you can soak in. The breakfast part of the B&B deal is very generous. And you’re in a great location.
- If you'd prefer a self-catered option, then we recommend checking the selection on Booking.com, our online partner.
- Fly straight to St John's (around 3.5 hours from Toronto or only 5 hours from London). The airport is located about 10km north of the city.
- The best time to visit St John's is from July - September when the temperatures are warm (they can reach 30 degrees). There are also plenty of festivals during these months and it is the best time to spot whales.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in St John's
Leaside Manor St John's (Newfoundland) 20 rooms from €71Sights nearby - Cabot Tower offers a beautiful spot for views - do not forget your camera.Great walks - Signal Hill is a great climb and well worth it for the view.Back to Nature - Walking trails and the great outdoors are all around.Full of characterRecommended by - CN Traveller
Family run B&B welcomes guests with ornate fireplaces, wooden floors and local artworks. 20 rooms, are all unique and exude comfort. Enjoy the soak tubs and cable TV. Breakfast is quite the feast from sausages to pancakes, fresh juices to piping hot coffee. Great location to relax and unwind. See More
Murray Premises Hotel St John's (St. John's) 69 rooms from €134Close to nightlife - Nearby George Street really comes alive at night when it is filled with the merry shouts of revellers and buskersLocal exploring - Ideally located overlooking the historic St. John's waterfront, and just minutes from Georges StreetLocal markets - Spend your morning shopping at the many local boutiques and stores on Water StreetGreat walks - Take a walking tour of this picturesque town and soak up the local lore
A typical St. John's hotel, overlooking the waterfront and pier. The simple and comfortable rooms offer original features such as exposed brick walls and wooden beams. A full continental breakfast is included and sets you up perfectly for the day ahead. A great spot from which to explore the town. See More
Ryan Mansion St John's (Newfoundland) 11 rooms from €300Great walks - Grand Concourse Walkways perfect to explore the town and beyond - St. John's and Mount Pearl and the Town of Paradise.Sights nearby - Cape Spear National Historic Site is the most northern part of North America.Full of characterTraditionalRecommended by - CN Traveller
Fit for royalty! A small boutique mansion welcoming guests for hideaway weekends, memorable adventures and business travel. Sleep in four poster beds, surrounded by antiques and art works and with the warmth of a fireplace. Restaurants are close, but do not miss out on the six course Titanic dinner. See More