Viana do Castelo
Search the best hotels in Viana do Castelo
About Viana do Castelo
Viana do Castelo is one of the prettiest towns on the Costa Verde, medieval at its heart and edged with beautiful, unspoiled beaches. Popular with surfers, Viana do Castelo also has a number of interesting monuments, so its a great cultural and beachy destination. The food is good too, something you'll find reflected in our pick of the best places to stay in Viana do Castelo.
What not to miss
- As well as the medieval centre, Viana do Castelo has several rows of beautiful, leafy 19th Century boulevards, lined with Roccoco palaces, an impressive 16th Century church, a vast Roccoco church, a castle, and several interesting museums. It is still a working seaport with working shipyards.
- The beaches of this region, right by the Rio Lima estuary, are some of the best in Portugal and whichever direction you venture along the coastline you'll find some really windswept, Atlantic charmers.
- The Lima valley also has plenty to attract visitors - firstly, a lot of food is produced locally, that equals numerous excellent restaurants and pretty market towns, and their market days, to explore.
The town is full of wonderful architecture and our selection of the best places to stay in Viana do Castelo showcase this rich architectural heritage.
The best places to stay in Viana do Castelo
For central charm
- Casa Melo Alvim is a magnificent manor house close to the beach, yet also right in the heart of town. The accommodation is simple, but elegant - think whitewashed walls and antiques. Surrounded by lovely gardens, there are just 20 rooms.
For a historic stay
- Awash with character and charm, Quinta da Bouca D'Arques is a beautiful manor house overlooking Viana do Castelo. Boasting eight chic apartments, it's perfect for people looking for an intimate place to stay. Self-catering options available.
For an apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Viana do Castelo is Porto (43 miles).
- For car hire, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Viana do Castelo is from June to September, when the temperature sits comfortably in the twenties.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Viana do Castelo.
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay on the Costa Verde.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Viana do Castelo
Best Hotels in Viana do Castelo
Casa Melo Alvim Viana do Castelo 20 rooms from €80Sights nearby - Praca da Republica, Castelo de Santiago da Barra, and Monte de Santa Luzia Basilica.Romantic - Good for couples.Local markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.
A magnificent manor house close to the beach in the town centre. Simple but elegant rooms with white washed walls and antique furniture, some with private balconies and four poster beds. Lovely gardens and just a short walk to all the attractions. Great for families, beach goers and couples. See More
Pousada de Viana do Castelo Viana do Castelo 51 rooms from €95Views - Famous for its incredible panoramic delights - National Geographic calls it one of the world's finestSpa - There's a wellness area for massages and treatmentsRestaurant - Contemporary regional cuisineSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool with a viewRecommended by - Tablet
This 19th century, hilltop hotel boasts some of the world's finest panoramic views, over the Atlantic coast of Portugal. Be blown away by the port and sweeping beaches below. The rooms are beautifully decorated in neutral tones with comfortable furniture - and all have a balcony to enjoy the views. See More
Quinta da Bouça d'Arques Viana do Castelo (Vila de Punhe) 8 rooms from €105Country Escape - A stunning 300 year old Manor set in lovely gardens.Great walks - Set out on walks to hidden river pools where a quick cool off dip is essential.Surfing - Excellent nearby surf at Afife and Moledo beaches.Swimming Pool - Lovely outdoor pool.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
A gorgeous, classically Portuguese manor house, converted into chic apartments. In house apartments are traditional in style set on a clean white background. The exterior pods are uber modern in design. Wonderfully friendly owners. Indulgent breakfasts and small kitchenettes. Totally charming. See More