Search the best hotels in Robertson
In a green valley overshadowed by great mountains lies Robertson. Its location is utterly spellbinding; nestled by a wide, winding river whose waters scintillate in the sunshine, surrounded by green and golden fields and countless vineyards. Life moves slowly in this charming and picturesque place, making it the perfect spot for a rural escape. However, while it is a tranquil spot, there is much to see and do; whether it's going on a tour of the many wineries in the nearby area, skydiving or hiking through the fields, hills and mountains. To be closest to the action, some of the best places to stay in Robertson are often just outside the town itself in the picturesque countryside.
Founded in 1853 by a Scottish minister, Robertson has a long and rich history of agriculture. Once famous for its ostrich farming, it now boasts well over fifty registered wine cellars, many fruit farms and several prominent racehorse stud farms. In many respects, the town is a delightful example of 19th-century colonial architecture; Victorian and Edwardian houses feature prominently throughout Robertson, like the pink church and the museum.
Of course, the real charm lies in what you can do outside the town itself. Hiking is popular here and the Arangieskop Hiking Trail is a favourite. A circular route that ends up at the Dassieshoek Nature Reserve, it is a tough climb but extremely rewarding, and provides some gorgeous views of the valley below. If aerial views are more appealing then skydiving shouldn't be missed.
Touring the endless series of wineries is a must as many of the vineyards are award-winning. A number of operators offer tours or one can simply pick the vineyards of their choice. For those planning a trip in June, the Wacky Wine Festival is a real highlight. But for a real taste of Robertson visiting the Affie Plaas, a traditional Afrikaans farmers market, offering everything from quail eggs and salami to homemade jams and farm bread.
What not to miss
- Wineries: with over 50 registered wine cellars throughout the area - many of which are award-winning and internationally-renowned - you are spoilt for choice. The Arabella Wine Estate, Arendsig Wine Estate and Cloverfield Wines are all a must.
- Hiking: the picturesque countryside with mountains as a backdrop serve as an excellent place for a rewarding trek. Attempt the Arangieskop Hiking Trail - though it is rather steep - it is incredibly beautiful and ends up at Dassieshoek Nature Reserve.
- Skydiving: the Western Province Sport Parachute Club, the oldest of its kind in the whole of South Africa, runs skydives and lessons for beginners from the Robertson Airfield. N.B this is not for the faint-of-heart!
- Cycling: exploring Robertson by bike is the best way of experiencing the town and the surrounding farms and wineries.
During the warmest months (November to March) Robertson can get quite busy so in order to ensure a room at one of the best places to stay in Robertson we advise you plan your trip well in advance.
The best places to stay in Robertson
- The Robertson Small Hotel is the town's only 5* hotel. Offering gourmet Italian food and chic, light and airy rooms. Great for wine-lovers - they offer regular tastings of local wines - and have a spoiling spa and a delightful outdoor pool. Ideal for couples.
For an apartment or villa
- For something a little more private our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is between November and March, when the temperature averages at around 25 degrees.
- To get there fly to Cape Town International Airport and get a bus to Robertson, which takes 2.5 hours.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend you contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Western Cape.
- Browse through all our properties in South Africa.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Robertson
Best Hotels in Robertson
The Robertson Small Hotel Robertson (Robertson,) 10 rooms from €197Country Escape - Make the most of this off the beaten track gem, wander the streets of the quaint town and the tranquil surrounding countrysideTotal relaxation - Lounge by the pool, sample the extensive wine list and take full advantage of the extensive spa treatments on offerFoodies - The Small Restaurant serves simple, sophisticated, seasonal Italian-inspired dishesGreat walks - Head off on gorgeous long walks around the surrounding nature reservesRecommended by - CN Traveller, Kiwi Collection
Robertson's only 5* hotel, this Victorian design property offers a slice of indulgence in the heart of wine country. The chic light-filled rooms are furnished with an effortless elegance and charm. Relax with a drink at the EM bar and try out their wide variety of wines. A peaceful spot! See More