Search the best hotels in Deià
Facing out towards a glorious stretch of bright blue ocean, yet perched in amongst the beauty of the Sierra de Tramuntana’s conical foothills, Deià is a tiny, yet romantic, honey-coloured, green-shuttered beauty. It’s simplistic but true that the best places to stay in Deià are probably those with the best views. But it’s quite difficult to say which views are best when they’re all so spectacular!
Surrounding Deià are the terraced orchards and almond and olive groves (irrigated using ancient Moorish water systems), which feed the town, and behind it looms the impressive Puig des Teix - which rises to 1062 metres.
If it wasn't for one particularly famous inhabitant, this green-shuttered charmer may have kept its quiet, rural atmosphere, but the English poet Robert Graves 'discovered' it in the 1930s and spread the word amongst his creative friends, and it soon became something of a colony for artists, actors, musicians and writers.
What not to Miss
- Deià's artistic legacy continues in its numerous galleries, and in its summer artistic festivals and concerts - some which have been annual fixtures since the 19th century.
- The Graves museum occupies his old home, Ca N’Alluny, and he’s buried in the local church.
- Deià also has an archaeological museum.
- The mountains behind the town pose a challenge for walkers and mountain bikers,
- or the shingle beach, in its beautiful cove, is a quick scramble down the hill. There are a couple of restaurants on the beach which are the perfect places to relax over long seafood lunches in mid-summer.
The village's popularity with wealthy visitors means that it's got more than its fair share of good restaurants and bars. There’s even a Michelin star in this tiny town, and two of the hotels recommended by our Gurus are particularly luxurious - probably numbering amongst the most luxurious hotels on Mallorca.
Don't forget to book well ahead if you want to spend your summer hoilday in one of the best places to stay in Deià, this is still a small place. It’s quieter during May or September, but the weather's still lovely, or visit in spring when you can see the stunning almond blossom in full flower.
The Best Places to Stay in Deià
The Best Places to Stay in Deià for a private beach
- Es Molí is an 87 room hotel close to Deià which deserves a mention because of its spectacularly lush setting and sea view. Rooms have period decor, matching the public areas and there's a lovely heated spring water swimming pool. Though you're also just a short drive from a private, rocky cove.
The Most Luxurious Places to Stay in Deià
- La Residencia is a luxurious hotel sprawling over a beautiful hillside, overlooking its own beautiful gardens and the surrounding scenery. Decorated with romantic style, the 67 rooms have antiques and four poster beds, and there's also a pool, fine spa and a wonderful restaurant.
- Valldemossa is just up the road in Valldemossa, but worth considering if you’re looking for timeless sophistication and impeccable service in a stunning, romantic setting. There’s a gourmet restaurant, a pool and spa and just 12 spacious, comfortable suites.
The Best Places to Stay in Deià for rural escape
- Ca's Xorc is a beautiful, 13 room finca set in the foothills of the Sierra de Tramuntana above a picturesque coastline. The finca has a collection of rooms and suites with white washed walls and pretty art. There's also a fabulous Mediterranean restaurant which takes full advantage of the wonderful views and the finca's sprawling terraces.
The Best Places to Stay in Deià for sea views
- In the hills around Deià you'll find Sa Pedrissa, an upmarket, nine room argoturismo converted from a 17th Century manor house. This is a relaxed, tranquil hideaway, decorated with fine antiques framing truly magical sea views.
The Best Places to Stay in Deià for Families
- The S’Hotel D’es Puig is a rustic, friendly guesthouse with a good selection of family accommodation, from suites with their own private balconies to two bedroom apartments. Great value with great mountain views.
Prefer an Apartment or Villa?
- If you’d prefer to stay in a self catering apartment or private villa we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Son Sant Joan airport is around 25miles from Deià. It is Spain’s third largest airport and is served by both low cost and national carriers from around Europe. Cruise ships arrive at Port de Palma, which is just west of Palma, and you’re about eight hours from mainland Spain via ferry, and four hours from Ibiza.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in Deià - visit our online partner, Rentalcars. It is possible to arrive via public transport, but not easy, and you’ll have limited access to the highlights of Mallorca if you plan a car-less visit.
- Mallorca’s climate is typically Mediterranean, with hot, dry summers and mild winters. Its central mountains mean there’s some variation across the island - mostly dependant on how much wind you’re getting - but generally speaking you’re getting sunshine and 19°C+ between April and November. The ‘beach holiday season’ runs between May and October. Autumn is probably best avoided because this is when the island gets most of its rain, and it can be very heavy, though Winter is great for a walking holiday or a bit of winter sunshine. The best time to go is probably late spring, but purely because it’s a bit quieter and the almond blossom is out.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Deià for you?
Best Hotels in Deià
S'Hotel d'es Puig Deià 9 rooms from €105Hideaway - Offering a secluded and scenic mountain setting, this is a great choice for those looking to hideawayValue chic - For Deia, which usually comes with a luxury price tag, this is a very reasonable stayFamilies - The two-bedroom self catering apartments are perfect for familiesFishing - The hotel can organise fishing tripsRecommended by - I Escape
An intimate and friendly hotel with mountain views. This rustic, manager owned guesthouse offers ample breakfasts, an honesty bar and outdoor swimming pool with terrace. Guests can stay in suites with private balconies or enjoy private 2 bedroom apartments. Ideal for families and excellent value. See More
Es Molí Deià, Mallorca 87 rooms from €159Total relaxation - Spend days feasting on spectacular food, lounging by the pool and taking gentle strolls in the countrysideCountry Escape - The perfect rural setting, located between the Sierra de Tramuntana and the Balearic SeaLocal markets - In nearby villages on Wednesdays, Saturdays and SundaysViews - Beautiful coastal and mountain views
Sa Pedrissa Deia, Mallorca 9 rooms from €185Romantic Break - Secluded, tranquil, with beautiful views, the perfect spot to escape with your significant otherActive Holiday - Get out into the Tramuntana mountains to hike or bikeViews - Spectacular sea viewsSwimming Pool - Lovely outdoor pool
La Residencia Deià, Mallorca 67 rooms from €405Romantic Break - Beautiful views, the perfect place to unwindFoodies - Boastin an award-winning restaurantWellbeing - Excellent spa and saunaRomantic - Beautiful, luxurious destinationRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Kiwi Collection
Sheer luxury at this remarkable hotel that sprawls over a hillside in Deià. Beautiful gardens, top notch dining, antiques and four posters. Romantic setting, ideal for honeymooning or just pure relaxation - every comfort is catered for. Outdoor pools and a fine spa, with local country pursuits. See More