Search the best hotels in Williamsburg
Popular with visitors eager to experience a slice of early American history in sumptuous style, Williamsburg is a hub for history buffs and romantic couples — but there's also plenty for fun-loving families! Straddling the land between the York and the James Rivers, the city was home to some of the earliest colonists in Virginia, and many striking heritage buildings have been preserved. With accommodation ranging from intimate B&Bs to extensive luxury hotels, there's something to suit a whole host of tastes and budgets. Many of the best places to stay in Williamsburg are located in superb historic properties, ensuring a real sense of charm and authenticity.
First on the must-do list is Colonial Willliamsburg. Re-enactments and costumed tour guides bring beautifully restored buildings to life as soldiers drill with muskets and craftspeople demonstrate their skills. Visit museums, theatres and heritage homes, and look out for an exciting array of annual events — perfect for immersing yourself in the Williamsburg of old!
The surrounding Virginia countryside is idyllic, criss-crossed by leafy trails awaiting discovery on foot, bicycle or horseback. Sports enthusiasts can play tennis, or enjoy a round at the famed Golden Horseshoe Golf Course. Thrill-seekers, on the other hand, will adore the world-class roller coasters at nearby Busch Gardens, where child-friendly rides entertain active guests of all ages. Alternatively, make a splash at the nearby Water Park USA, or take the whole family to admire the native wildlife, interactive science exhibits, aquarium and planetarium at the Virginia Living Museum.
Whilst many of the best places to stay in Williamsburg are within close proximity to the historic centre, one of our top spots is a gorgeous winery slightly south of town. Book a room there if you're a keen foodie, eager to taste award-winning wines, or looking to soak up the best of Virginia's rolling hills and lovely scenery.
The Best Places to Stay in Williamsburg
For Colonial Williamsburg
- Williamsburg Inn promises lavish Regency accommodation on an imposing Neoclassical Southern estate. With tennis courts, a golf course, a swimming pool, a spa, free cycle hire and extensive grounds, there's stacks of guests of all ages to do. Shuttle buses to historic Willliamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Park USA are a great perk! Luxurious old-school style.
- Williamsburg Lodge — a sister hotel to the Williamsburg Inn — features classic contemporary rooms and suites with lots of family-friendly options. Relaxed and well-located for exploring colonial Williamsburg, the hotel also boasts excellent eateries and sits right alongside the group's golf club and spa. Ideal for families or travellers keen to fuse understated elegance with all the mod-cons.
- Williamsburg Colonial Houses is also part of the Colonial Williamsburg Resorts group. Pick this place for an immersion into the historic town, with period decor in 26 heritage buildings. Think antique furnishings, fireplaces and lots of charm. One for those eager to step back in time!
For an Intimate B&B
- A Williamsburg White House is a beautiful six-bedroom B&B in a pretty white-painted house. Expect canopy beds, paisley prints and attractive gardens, as well as friendly owners. Well-suited to romantic couples and history buffs hoping to wander around town.
- Bentley Manor Inn offers just four bedrooms with antique pieces, four-poster beds and artisanal lace touches in a lovely red-brick townhouse close to the old town centre. Perfect for a quiet and intimate getaway!
- Colonial Gardens is a superb 4-bedroom house, made for families or groups to book on an exclusive basis. Think characterful interiors, spacious bedrooms with fireplaces, a well-equipped kitchen and a charming porch. Great for self-catering stays in a tranquil residential area. Very comfortable for guests of all ages!
- Cedars of Williamsburg is a cosy B&B in a red-brick Georgian house. Within walking distance of historic Williamsburg, the property features traditional decor — including pretty floral prints and canopy beds. Families will love the interconnecting rooms or the stand-alone cottage, large garden, fun games room and kind owners.
For an award-winning winery
- Wedmore Place promises 28 appealing bedrooms complete with big beds and antique furniture in the grounds of Virginia's top winery. Stay here for terrific food, wonderful wine tastings and a secluded country escape — within easy reach of colonial Williamsburg. Gorgeous!
FOR AN APARTMENT OR Holiday Cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Richmond Airport (RIC) or to Norfolk Airport (ORF). The journey by bus, train or taxi from either airport should take around 1.5 hours.
- Virginia is a wonderful region to explore by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Summers in Williamsburg are hot and can be very busy. Time your trip for the spring (April - May) or autumn (September - October) for fewer crowds, lovely temperatures and great hotel offers.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our pick of all the best places to stay in Alexandria, or nearby historic Yorktown.
- Broaden your search to include the best places to stay in Virginia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Williamsburg
Best Hotels in Williamsburg
Williamsburg Lodge Williamsburg (310 S England St, Williamsburg, VA 23185) 323 rooms from €108Spa breaksTennis - Clay tennis courts are for all to use.Romantic - Good for couples.Four poster beds - For romantics.
1939 Williamsburg Lodge opened its doors and maintains the blue tiled floors, folk art and home-away-from-home atmosphere. Large, classically decorated rooms offer a respite from a day exploring the local history. From old-world taverns to modern restaurants, one is spoiled for choice. Spa days too! See More
A Williamsburg White House Williamsburg 6 rooms from €121Local exploring - Walking distance from Colonial Williamsburg, this is the place to learn about the founding of America and its colonial historyHistoric - The property is housed in the oldest building of any B&B in the area, a fact that's sure to appeal to history loversSights nearby - Yorktown Battlefield, historic Jamestown and the Jamestown settlement are unmissable sites when staying in the areaLocal markets - Don't miss the weekly Williamsburg Farmers Market in Merchants Square
Live out Williamsburg's colonial past at this award-winning B&B. Formerly a country estate, the elegant owner-run property is as pretty as a picture both outside and in; enjoy traditional clapboard facade, painted shutters, canopy beds, paisley prints & large country gardens. Well-suited to couples. See More
Bentley Manor Inn Williamsburg 4 rooms from €130Sights nearby - Visit the historical sights of Revolutionary city such as Governor’s Palace, Anderson’s Blacksmith Shop and Capitol building.Tennis - Visit the nearby Williamsburg Inn Tennis Club.Secluded setting - For escaping.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
Williamsburg Inn Williamsburg (136 Francis Street East) 62 rooms from €143Great walks - Around the golf course or around Williamsburg.Views - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Four poster beds - For romantics.
Neoclassical southern estate welcomes guests with pediments and arches, fireplace and high ceilings. Large, classically decorated rooms overlook the golf course, pool and Williamsburg. Regency Room serves award-winning dishes accompanied by fine wines. Relax at the spa or explore the local history. See More
Cedars of Williamsburg B&B Williamsburg 11 rooms from €153Local exploring - An easy 10 minute walk to downtown colonial Williamsburg. Enjoy its historic buildings, restaurants, shops and art galleriesGroups - Stand-alone three-bedroom Cedars Cottage offers space and privacy for groups who don't want to disturb other guestsFamilies - The King William and Queen Mary connecting rooms offer a two-bedroom set-up ideal for families or groupsSights nearby - Jamestown - the first English settlement in the US - and Jamestown Settlement living-history museum are a short drive away
Picture-perfect B&B walking distance from colonial Williamsburg. Red-brick shuttered Georgian exterior is home to opulent rooms with period-style decor; expect grand canopy beds, floral prints and oriental rugs. Families will appreciate friendly owners, large garden, games room & a separate cottage. See More
Wedmore Place Williamsburg 28 rooms from €168Total relaxation - Tranquil and peaceful rural bolthole perfect for uninterrupted lie-ins, long lazy lunches & sun-drenched afternoons by the poolWine tasting - The property's European-style 50-acre Williamsburg Winery has been in operation since 1988. A stay includes a tasting for twoLocal exploring - Just outside of Colonial Williamsburg yet with a rural country feel - the best of both for combining sightseeing and relaxingCountry Escape - Spend weekends taking country walks, exploring the vineyards, eating farm produce and enjoying views over natural landscapes
Sprawling 300-acre classic country estate with award-winning winery. Rustic rooms, named after European destinations are decorated accordingly; expect charming period features with antique furnishings, artwork, tapestries and fireplaces. Luxe romantic weekend-away material with restaurants and pool. See More
Williamsburg Colonial Houses Williamsburg 75 rooms from €170Local exploring - Situated in the heart of the historic centre. Step out the door and explore the city.Sights nearby - Immerse yourself in 18th century Williamsburg in the re-enactments in the Historic Area.Full of characterTraditional
A collection of 26 buildings set within 'the largest living museum in the world'. Get a taste of 18th-century life through the area's architecture, costumed interpreters, and historical re-enactments. Find elegant rooms with traditional furniture, wooden floors and sash windows. A unique stay. See More
Colonial Gardens Williamsburg 4 rooms from €728Local exploring - An incredibly comfortable base from which to explore historic Williamsburg and its many sites, museums and colonial buildingsGroups - Works equally well for groups of friends as for families; each suite has its own space, privacy and separate bathroomFamilies - Made for families; after a day of exploring enjoy home-cooked meals, movie nights and pampering in-room touchesSelf catering to rent - The property's fully-equipped and spacious kitchen means that preparing meals for large groups is an easy task
Luxurious private home booked on an exclusive-use self-catered basis. Well designed, blending contemporary comfort and historic touches, everything has been thought of; enjoy large bedrooms with fireplaces, kitchen, dining room, lounges, expansive garden and old-fashioned porch. Perfect for groups. See More