Search the best hotels in Uyuni
Originally a trading post on the edge of the world’s largest salt flats, Uyuni has become the gateway to one of the most marvellous natural landscapes on the planet. With a broad offering of accommodation options – ranging from simple guesthouses to eco lodges – there’s something here to suit every budget. Our pick of the best places to stay in Uyuni are right on the salt flats themselves, ensuring that your experience is as unique as the scenery which surrounds you.
Created by transformations between prehistoric lakes, the Uyuni salt flat (‘Salar de Uyuni’) is a blinding white salt crust which covers more than 4,000 square miles. Hop in a jeep or head out on a hike with an experienced guide to explore this brilliantly bizarre environment, where hardened white salt stretches as far as the eye can see, under bright blue skies. Highlights include the sight of thousands of pink flamingos, visits to an antique train cemetery and cultural excursions to quinoa fields – or to meet llama farmers! Sunrises and sunsets here are incredible, too, with the sky’s colours reflected in the pristine salt surface. The strange sense of perspective also makes it a perfect playground for fun photographic tricks, especially after the rain.
A trip to Uyuni is one best spent exploring and appreciating the marvels of the natural world. Our pick of the best places to stay in Uyuni ensure that the visual wonders of this surreal region take centre stage, whilst offering fabulous food and stylish design to make your trip truly special.
The best places to stay in Uyuni
For a spa
- Palacio de Sal is a masterpiece of local salt. Well-appointed rooms have beautifully domed ceilings and there’s an excellent restaurant serving local dishes – not to mention a magical spa. Unwind with an atmospheric massage, before plunging into the pool to soak up seriously stellar views across the salt flats.
- Kachi Lodge boasts six superb pods right on the salt flats, for the ultimate luxury glamping experience. Think toasty wood-burning stoves, big cosy beds, fantastic food and panoramic perspectives across the striking landscape. There’s a big focus on sustainability and partnerships with the local community. Wonderfully private and romantic.
For an apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we suggest that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Uyuni’s Joya Andina Airport is just a 50 minute flight from La Paz. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pickup with a reliable driver who knows the area well — especially important if your hotel is in a remote location.
- Alternatively, regular trains and buses from La Paz, are an affordable — if time-consuming — option. Many visitors choose to travel by bus from San Pedro de Atacama, in Chile.
- The salt flats are a year-round destination. Evenings will be especially cold between May and September, and the wet season falls from December to April. The upside of the rain is that the salt flats become a giant mirror, making for astonishing reflections. Accommodation here does fill up, so book well in advance to avoid missing out!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to explore our recommendations in Sucre.
- Alternatively, see our pick of all the best places to stay in Bolivia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Uyuni
Best Hotels in Uyuni
Palacio de Sal Uyuni 42 rooms from £667Foodies - Foodies will delight in the hotel's traditional Bolivian restaurant, where guests can sample local delicacies like llamaLocal exploring - This hotel is in a great spot for local exploring in Colchani, with privileged access to the Salar de UyuniBack to Nature - Located on the banks of breathtaking salt flats, this hotel makes for a unique retreat to natureLocal markets - Pick up souvenirs from the local market in Colchani, which specialises in handicrafts made from salt found on the flats
This unique hotel is located on the banks of the magnificent Salar de Uyuni salt flats in Bolivia. Constructed from local salt, the igloo rooms feature beautiful, convex ceilings and plush linens; book a suite for luxurious extra living space. Don't miss the holistic concept spa; a magical retreat. See More
Kachi Lodge Uyuni (Salar de Tunupa) 6 rooms from £2010Active Holiday - With excellent activities available close to the lodge, from hiking to mountain biking, this makes for a great active breakFoodies - Foodies will be blown away by the lodge's fine dining restaurant Gustu, renowned as one of the best restaurants in BoliviaBack to Nature - The lodge's spectacular location on the Bolivian salt flats makes it a unique retreat to natureSights nearby - Drive out to the archeological site of Alcaya, where you will find the ruins of a preserved, pre-Columbian city
This hotel offers unique accommodation in self-contained 'domes' on the Uyuni Salt Flats in Bolivia. Each dome contains a comfortable bed, cosy fireplace and private bathroom; the sides of the dome are transparent, providing spectacular views. Don't miss the gourmet restaurant; a spectacular hotel. See More