Search the best hotels in Havana
The famously charming capital of Cuba, Havana boasts brightly-painted buildings, old American cars, myriad museums and buzzing bars where you can expect live music and dancing every night. This fascinating city is fast becoming a favourite holiday destination, with accommodation options ranging from elegant townhouse apartments to swish city hotels. Many of the best places to stay in Havana are clustered around the old part of town, but there are some real gems in neighbouring Vedado, which is a cultural hub in its own right.
Whether you’re visiting as a couple, or with friends and family, Havana is a brilliant city to explore. Take a guided walking tour for an insight into the city’s heritage, food and music scene. The trade and travel bans which isolated Cuba from global development for much of the 20th Century have preserved a rich culture and striking architecture, best seen on foot or by bicycle. Arts and heritage buffs will love the Museo de la Revolucion, the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, the eerie Necrópolis Cristóbal Colón, and smaller museums dedicated to Hemingway, Napoleon and others. Havana Cathedral is superb, and strolls around the Plaza de Armas — laid out in the 1520s — and Plaza Vieja are highly recommended.
Pick up local handicrafts at the Centro Cultural Antiguos Almacenes de Deposito San Jose, or make your way to the 8-km Malecón, to join Cuban families for an amble along the seafront esplanade. Across the water, the huge Fortaleza de San Carlos de la Cabaña protects Havana from the ocean and served as Che Guevara’s post-revolution headquarters — it is well worth visiting.
Spend your evenings sipping Cuba Libres at street-side bars, savouring delectable fare in friendly eateries, and dancing til dawn at Havana’s hottest spots. The paint may be peeling, but this is a city with stacks of soul. The best places to stay in Havana are likely to fill up fast, so book your trip well in advance.
The Best Places to Stay in Havana
For Boutique Chic
- Voya Boutique Hotel is a ten room property set in a restored 1925 mansion where the ethos is about offering seriously chic accommodation, superb dining and top notch personalised service. They call it "the art of living"! Plus there's a secret garden with cocktail bar and small plunge pool. There's a grown up feel here, but families are welcome too.
- Paseo 206 promises an elegant escape in the Vedado neighbourhood. A restored 1930s residence owned by a Cuban-Italian family, this boutique bolthole has ten luxurious suites, a fabulous Italian eatery, and an onsite art gallery. Romantic and indulgent.
- Gardens Havana is a beautiful four-bedroom boutique hotel, with a focus on local craftsmanship. Reserve one level of the property as a couple, or book all four rooms for a trip with friends. Mornings begin with big homemade breakfasts, and the team can whip up a round of mojitos when you return from your rambles. The owners give top-notch travel advice, too. Gorgeous.
- Loma del Angel is just around the corner from the Revolution Museum in Old Havana. This historic house promises exceptional service, chic, antique-filled interiors, and spacious suites. A romantic spot for couples, the property's two glamorous suites can also be booked by a family or group. Very special.
- El Candil Boutique Hotel offers a famously friendly welcome in a grand old house in lovely Vedado. Stay as a couple or with family and friends and dine on the rooftop terrace after exploring the historic neighbourhood. A small hotel with antique pieces and modern touches.
For a Classic City Hotel
- Hotel Nacional de Cuba sits just moments from the seafront in Vedado. Having played host to the likes of Frank Sinatra, Winston Churchill and Errol Flynn since the 1930s, this imposing hotel has appealing old-school charm in spades. With a tennis court, swimming pool, nightclub, bars, restaurants and more, there's something for guests of all ages.
- Gran Hotel Manzana La Habana is set in what was once Cuba's first shopping mall. Now an indulgent hotel, the property has 246 swish rooms and suites, as well as multiple bars and eateries. The rooftop pool, superb spa and terrific San Cristobal Restaurant are real stand-outs. Round off your evenings with rum and cigars.
For Families or Groups
- Twins Havana is made up of two self-catering apartments — one two-bedroom, the other three-bedroom. Depending on the size of your family or group, the apartments can be merged, allowing space for 10 people. Think pastel hues and minimalist design. The Marshall speakers are a great touch.
- Plaza Vieja 1912 has lots of heritage charm. Set in Old Havana, this is a top pick for art lovers, who will adore the pieces by Cuban creatives. A two-bedroom apartment, well-suited to families or two couples travelling together. There's also a full kitchen.
For a Waterfront Resort
- Iberostar Grand Packard is a sleek, waterfront resort with swish, contemporary rooms and suites. Inter-connecting options will suit families, and kids will love the pool, as well as playing on the nearby beach. Expect a choice of lively bars and gourmet restaurants, plus a great gym and spa treatments. A buzzing luxury resort.
For Great Value
- Residencia Santa Clara is a modern hotel, with funky interiors built using reclaimed materials. Pick this place for its quirky, laid-back feel and affordable rates. The sea-view rooftop and sociable bar are brilliant for unwinding, whilst inter-connecting rooms will suit groups or families.
- Palacio Marques Felipe promises 27 rooms with contemporary interiors, set behind an 18th-century faćade in Old Havana. Stay here for the excellent location, the striking rooftop terrace views, and the very reasonable prices. For couples or families.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Havana's Jose Martí Airport, 9 miles to the southwest of the city centre. Take a bus or taxi to your hotel from there. Alternatively, speak to your hotel in advance to arrange an airport pick up.
- You'll find lots to explore by road in Cuba! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Balmy temperatures average between 21 - 27°C throughout the year, with the peak season lasting from December to mid-April. May and October/November are generally rainy, with the hurricane season falling between June and November. Travel in late April or early December for fewer crowds and great hotel deals.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Cuba.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Havana
Best Hotels in Havana
Voya Boutique Hotel Havana 10 rooms from £121City Style - A seriously chic stay with spacious rooms decorated in soothing tones and with a minimalist feelLocal exploring - An excellent base for exploring all that Havana has to offerRestaurant - Brasserie 255 serves an innovative fusion of Mediterranean/Cuban cuisineSights nearby - The property is well located for exploring Havana's main sights
A laid-back boutique hotel set in a restored 1925 mansion which prides itself on its personalised service. Plus there are a handful of stylish rooms and suites most with private balcony or terrace, excellent brasserie and secret garden with cocktail bar and plunge pool. Havana city chic. See More
Residencia Santa Clara Old Havana 7 rooms from £74Exclusive offer - 5% discount - Use promo code: hotelguruEco break - Built used recyled materials including recycled wooden doors and furniture carved out of discarded treesLocal exploring - Well-located to explore Havana's Old Quarter; most sites of interest are within 10 - 20 mins walkValue chic - A fresh feel, contemporary design and a fab location for an absolute stealGreat walks - Soak up sea views and fresh air on nearby Paseo de Alameda de Paula, the oldest sea-side walk in Havana
Charming boutique hotel nestled within Havana's Old Town. Contemporary architecture & airy room design have a nod to the past with wooden shutters, soaring ceilings & checkerboard floors. Relax on the sea-view rooftop or at the sociable bar where breakfast is served. Great value city bolthole. See More
El Candil Boutique Hotel Havana (Vedado) 5 rooms from £117City Style - Set in an elegant, colonial-era townhouse in a stylish Havana neighbourhood, this hotel has reams of local city charmRomantic Break - With beautifully appointed suites and a romantic rooftop terrace, book this hotel for a chic couples' breakLocal exploring - The hotel's central location makes sightseeing in Havana easy, with museums and historic sites close byGreat walks - Discover downtown Havana on a long walk down nearby Avenida de los Presidentes, home to iconic, historical monuments
This stylish boutique hotel is set within a heritage mansion in Vedado. Inside, hand-selected antiques and a classic verandah give the sense of travelling back in time, with chandeliers and print wallpapers creating a glamourous finish. Enjoy a cocktail at the rooftop bar after a day's sightseeing. See More
Palacio Marques Felipe Havana 27 rooms from £133Roof terrace - Spectacular views over the city.Value chicOutstanding location - Fantastically located on the Plaza San Francisco in the heart of Old Havana.Private Hot Tub - The best rooms have hot tubs and DVD players.
A colonial 18th century building with stature, previously an aristocratic residence. A classical facade with contemporary interiors. Rooms and suites are simple, some have hot tubs and DVD players. Stunning views over the city from the rooftop terrace. Well positioned in the Old Town, good value. See More
Hotel Nacional de Cuba Havana 362 rooms from £180Sea Views - Overlooking the Malecón sea front.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
A bastion of the former days of Cuban sophistication this hotel is awash with old school glamour. Classy, spacious bedrooms are decorated in antique furnishing and dark woods. There is an impressive museum and sitting room. Lovely gardens overlook Malecón sea front. See More
Plaza Vieja 1912 Havana 2 rooms from £202Groups - A spacious two-bedroom apartment with a chic dining area and a terrace for evening drinks, ideal for friends travelling togetherCity Style - Havana chic with murals made by artists from the Cuban School of Fine Arts, Baccarat crystal chandeliers, and old paintingsHistoric - The building belongs to the Historic centre of Old Havana, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCOGreat walks - Walk the length of the Malecón, along the seafront
An elegant two-bedroom apartment set in a historic building in the centre of Havana. Grand interiors feature antiques, murals by artists from the Cuban School of Fine Arts, traditional artwork, and crystal chandeliers. With a modern kitchen and large terrace, this property ticks all the boxes. See More
Loma del Angel Havana 2 rooms from £211Local exploring - Set in Habana Vieja - step out and stroll through cobbled streets, pop into cafes & boutiques, and admire colourful buildingsSights nearby - Stroll down to Central Park La Habana Vieja and the Malecón in front of Havana BayBoutique
A beautifully converted house in Havana's old district, Havana Vieja. The two suites are both vast with floor-to-ceiling windows, a beautiful mix of contemporary and antique furnishings, and a terrace or balcony. Indulgent breakfasts are served in-room. An intimate and glamorous home-away-from-home. See More
Gardens Havana Havana 4 rooms from £219Boutique - With handmade furniture, carefully selected tiles, & an in-house chef and housekeeper — this is a very well thought out boutiqueGroups - With just four rooms this is the perfect place to rent out in its entirety with family or friendsSights nearby - Stroll down to the impressive National Capitol BuildingFull of character
A chic four-bedroom boutique property set in the heart of Havana. Interiors have been painstakingly designed with handcrafted furniture, individually selected tiles, and contemporary fabrics. Minimum booking is per floor with two bedrooms. City style defined. See More
Twins Havana Havana 10 rooms from £234Groups - A five-bedroom apartment that can be divided into a two-bedroom and a three-bedroom giving options for groups of different sizesSelf catering - With a well-equipped kitchen and a washer/dryer, this has all the comforts of being at homeCity Style - Airy interiors have are designed with a chic contemporary take on colonial styleSights nearby - See the giant face of Che Guevara at Plaza de la Revolución
Two chic apartments located in the heart of Havana. The smaller is a two-bedroom and larger three-bedroom (they can also be rented together for larger groups). Interiors are fresh and light with pastel hues, expansive windows, colonial-inspired furniture, and Marshall speakers. A stylish city pad. See More
Gran Hotel Manzana La Habana Havana (La Habana Vieja) 246 rooms from £289Foodies - Foodies are spoiled for choice at this hotel; don't miss the spectacular views from the San Cristobal restaurantCity Style - Located in a landmark building in the centre of Havana, this hotel has lots of classic city styleLocal exploring - Sitting in downtown Havana, this hotel makes a great base for local exploring in the citySights nearby - Visit El Capitolio, the former capitol building which harbours a large indoor statue
This chic, five-star hotel is located in Havana, Cuba. Rooms are contemporary with high ceilings and elegant interiors; the best offer city views from a traditional shuttered balcony. Book a suite for luxurious living space. Enjoy panoramic views from the San Cristobal Restaurant; a stand-out hotel. See More
Paseo 206 Havana 10 rooms from £382Museums - The hotel is also a gallery that exhibits contemporary Cuban sculptors, painters, photographers and illustratorsCity Style - A fabulous luxury boutique in a 1930s mansion, decked out with bespoke vintage furnishings and indulgent touchesRomantic Break - For a romantic break rent the Rooftop Suite which comes with a private balcony and an outdoor hot tubGreat walks - Discover the colonial streets of old HavanaRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Havana's first luxury boutique. This 1930's mansion has been restored to perfection with individually decorated stylish rooms and suites- think clean white lines and bold splashes of colour. The aqua blue restaurant serves excellent food and the on site gallery is an attraction in its own right. See More
Iberostar Grand Packard Havana (San Juan) 321 rooms from £343Lively - This spacious resort has a youthful lively feel with plenty of options for nightime fun!Beach Life - Set on Havana's famed waterfront, the beach is just a stroll awayRestaurant - Several options including the Biscuit for gourmet cuisine with a Spanish twistKayaking - Explore the island from the sea on a kayak
A sleek resort located on Havana's busy waterfront. Chic modern rooms feature sharp lines, whitewashed walls, and epic sea views. With three restaurant options, including one gourmet, plus several bars ranging from a sophisticated piano bar to something a little more lively, this is a youthful stay. See More