Search the best hotels in Taormina
Idyllic, cliff top Taormina, with its wonderfully restored medieval treasures, spectacular view across to Etna, and visiting 'beautiful people', has been Sicily's most popular summer destination since the 18th century, when it was part of the Grand Tour. Even now, the best places to stay in Taormina evoke memories of this period with plenty of period features and classic luxury.
As well as the recommendations from Goethe, Gustav Klimt, Oscar Wilde and Federico Fellini, Taormina also boasts winding, but beautiful streets, complete with bars, restaurants and boutiques. Which might be what sold Taormina to Elizabeth Taylor, who also lends it her recommendation.
In addition to the beauty and life of modern Taormina, this town boasts some pretty spectacular ruins and some lovely cove-like beaches which you can reach by cable car. This is a very civilised sort of resort town.
Busy with Italians enjoying their own backyard in July and August, Taormina is better visited outside the Italian school holidays.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Taormina are all luxurious options, ideally situated for enjoying this fascinating town and its stunning views. For those looking for a self catering apartment in the city, we recommend the selection with our online partner, Booking.com.
Founded in the 4th Century BC, Taormina grew, and grew wealthy, under the Greeks, developing a citrus farming culture, then fell into obscurity under the Normans. A real microcosm of the whole island, Taormina has some of the best of Sicily's sights:
The beach is about 2kms below the town, and the coastline is dotted with seaside resorts in between long sandy stretches, broken up by rocky coves. Off the coast is a scattering of pretty, but rocky islands, just to add to the postcard-perfection of your surroundings. And to make for an interesting day trip on the water.
What Not To Miss
- Be sure to check out the very special Ancient Greek Theatre, which has a stunning backdrop of smoking Mt. Etna.
- Wander through the medieval main street, the Corso Umberto I, at the end of which is the Palazzo Corvaja - a sublime mix of Arab, Gothic and Norman architecture, as well as the town's 'castle'. These days it's party used as an art museum, partly as the local tourist office.
- At the other end of the Corso is the Piazza del Duomo, complete with a 13th century cathedral as well as impressive courtyards and fountains.
- For some of the best views, it's worth the 20 minute climb up to the top of Mount Tauro.
- Or stroll up Via Leonardo da Vinci to the hilltop village of Castelmol, which also has a gracefully decaying castle right on the top of the hill.
Don't forget that it's very busy here during the peak summer months, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Taormina in July or August, you'll need to plan well ahead and book early.
For sheer luxury
- If you're looking for somewhere historic and luxurious, consider 14th Century monastery conversion, San Domenico Palace. Once austere, the accommodation here is now five star, and the 21st Century luxuries run all the way to a Michelin-starred restaurant.
- If that doesn't sound luxurious enough, The Ashbee Hotel is for you. Worthy of any of Taormina's famous fans, this sumptuous old villa is one of the best places to stay in Taormina for elegance, glamour and indulgence.
For spectacular sea views
- The Hotel Villa Angela's glamour is slightly dated, but in a charming way! However, its amazing panoramic views of the Ionian Sea and Mt. Etna never, ever age.
- As well as views over the sea, the Grand Hotel Timeo also has spectacular views over Taormina. Plus, it's located just opposite the Greek Theatre.
Taormina's romance is well documented, this was, after all, the place where D.H. Lawrence penned his 1928 novel 'Lady Chatterly's Lover'. Our choice of the best places to stay in Taormina for a spot of romance include:
- The Hotel Villa Carlotta, a beautiful, luxury villa overlooking the Ionian Sea. Each room and suite has a private terrace, and the vibe is romantic yet unfussy.
- If your idea of romance includes Michelin-starred dining and clean, modern lines, the Hotel Metropole is perfect for your getaway for two.
- Set in a charming Sicilian villa, the hilltop Hotel Villa Ducale offers truly magnificent views of the bay. The rooms are characterful and colourful, whilst there's also a spa and you can enjoy candlelit dinners each night at sunset.
For an apartment or villa
- If you're travelling with extended family or in a group of friends, a villa or apartment might be a better option. We recommend the selection with our online partner, Booking.com.
- For hot weather visit during the sumnmer months, with the average daily temperature rising to 28°C in July and August.
- Consider coming in May, September or October if you'd prefer quieter streets and cheaper accommodation. The weather is still lovely enough to enjoy the beaches!
- International visitors can fly into Catania Airport, located an hour south of Taormina. From here, take the train to Catania city centre and then on towards Taormina.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Taormina.
- Alternatively, check out all our recommendations in Sicily.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Taormina
Best Hotels in Taormina
Hotel Villa Ducale Taormina 19 rooms from £155Luxury - Traditional luxury including frescoed walls, brightly painted walls, trailing roses, hot tubs.Romantic Break - Hotel Villa Ducale is the most romantic hotel in Taormina.Views - The terraces offer sensational bay views.Restaurant - Light lunches and candlelit dinners on the terrace. Traditional and delicious Sicilian cuisine.
Hotel Villa Ducale is a romantic boutique hotel full of character and charm with jaw-dropping sea views. Rooms and suites are decorated with exquisite Italian style, some come with private terrace. There's a lovely garden with pool, and a stunning roof terrace. The perfect choice for a honeymoon. See More
Hotel Villa Carlotta Taormina 23 rooms from £259Sights nearby - Only five minutes walk to the historical centre of TaorminaRestaurant - Traditional Italian and Sicilian cuisineViews - Fabulous views of the sea and Mount EtnaLocal markets - Good for local colour.
A beautiful luxury hotel on the cliff tops over the Ionian sea. Sumptuous rooms, suites and apartments most with private terraces. Rooms have stone floors, delicate watercolours and rich fabrics. Fantastic restaurant and pool. Utterly romantic, but still very accommodating for families or groups. See More
Hotel Villa Angela Taormina 23 rooms from £104Views - Amazing views of the Ionian Sea and Mount EtnaRomantic BreakSights nearby - Located near the old centre of TaorminaRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Sawdays
La Plage Resort Taormina (Isola Bella) 61 rooms from £210Beach Life - The name says it all. A chic resort set on a beautiful stretch of beach.Great walks - Take long walks along the coast through the picturesque and rugged countryside.Sights nearby - Discover the ancient ruins of Taormina.Romantic - Good for couples.
Taodomus Taormina (Sicily) 10 rooms from £192Local exploring - Located in the centre of the town, this hotel is a perfect base to start your local exploring in TaorminaCity Style - With pretty, hand-crafted soft furnishings and sea views, this hotel has lots of small town styleRomantic Break - Couples will love the romantic roof terrace, where a delicious breakfast is served every morningSights nearby - Visit the nearby Cathedral of Taormina, a medieval Catholic church with a grand arched interior and elaborate statuary
This intimate hotel is located in the centre of Taormina, Sicily. Rooms are individually styled, with hand-painted headboards and carefully selected design pieces; the best rooms offer a private balcony with sea views. Enjoy breakfast on the charming roof terrace with panoramic views. A cosy B&B. See More
Casa Turchetti Taormina (Sicily) 6 rooms from £226Romantic Break - Couples love the hotel's period feel and the huge, sink-in beds. The roof terrace is a great feature for a romantic getawayHoneymoons - Book the hotel's Junior Suite for a honeymoon with added luxury, and enjoy a pretty view from your private balconyLocal exploring - Located in the heart of the picturesque Sicilian town Taormina, this hotel is a great base for local exploringGreat walks - Wander the picturesque streets of Taormina; make sure you see the idyllic Corso Umberto in the centre of townRecommended by - Chambres d’hôtes de Charme CHC
This charming hotel is housed in a 19th-century residence in Taormina, Sicily. Rooms boast traditional Sicilian design with tiled floors, intricate linens and period furnishings; the best suite offers a four-poster bed and private balcony. Enjoy panoramic views from the roof terrace; a classic stay. See More
Castello di San Marco Taormina (Calatabiano) 30 rooms from £250Total relaxation - With a spa, beach and restaurant all on-site, this hotel promises guests total relaxation during their stayLocal exploring - The hotel is perfectly located for exploring the idyllic Sicilian town Taormina, a short drive awayBeach Life - Located on its own private beach, this hotel is the perfect destination for a relaxing beach breakSights nearby - Visit Teatro Antico di Taormina, a short drive from the hotel. The site comprises an ancient Greek theatre with coastal viewsRecommended by - Tablet, Great Small Hotels
This four-star baroque hotel sits on its own private beach in Sicily. Rooms are bright and spacious, with luxurious linens and heritage features; the best suites offer ample living space and a private terrace. Book in for a treatment at the exclusive spa before dining at the restaurant. A chic stay. See More
Grand Hotel Timeo Taormina 70 rooms from £277Views - Outstanding views across the sea and to Mount EtnaHoneymoonsLuxuryRemote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Metropole, Taormina Taormina 23 rooms from £305Foodies - Michelin starred restaurant.Views - Outstanding panoramic views5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller, Kiwi Collection
The Ashbee Hotel Taormina 25 rooms from £364Views - Fabulous views up the coastHoneymoonsRomantic BreakRestaurant - Fine dining restaurant specialising in Mediterranean and Sicilian foodRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Spectacular grand villa with views to match. Sumptuous, elegant rooms and suites that ooze refined glamour. Floor to ceiling windows, parquet floors, designer furniture, rich wallpapers, private hot tubs. Film star terraces, excellent restaurant and swimming pool. Indulgent romance. See More
Belmond Villa Sant'Andrea Taormina (Sicily) 71 rooms from £1029Beach Life - Sitting on the beautiful Sicilian coast with a private stretch of beach, this hotel is perfect for lazy seaside holidayTotal relaxation - With an on-site spa, restaurant and bar, you can let go of the reins for total relaxation hereRomantic Break - Couples will swoon at the suites with pretty balconies and sea viewsSurfing - Try paddle surfing on your holiday, a favourite pastime among locals. Book through the hotel
This lavish seafront hotel is located on the beautiful Sicilian coast. Rooms are bright and airy with touches of colour in the unfussy soft furnishings; the best suites offer a private terrace with breathtaking sea views. Enjoy a luxury spa treatment before an al fresco dinner. A stand-out resort. See More