Search the best hotels in Tamarindo
Once a quiet fishing village, Tamarindo has seen spectacular growth in recent decades owing to its long and white beaches, enchanting wildlife and buzzing nightlife. Though increasingly Americanised, there is still an authentic Costa Rican shimmer to the village, with several open-air markets abundant with fresh fish and fruit & veg, not to mention the famous hospitality of Costa Rica. The waters teem with mahi-mahi, great tuna and billfish, making it ideal for a fishing expedition, while the waves are ideal for surfing enthusiasts. The scintillating white-sand palm-fringed beaches - some brimming with people, others more secluded - are where Leatherback sea turtles lay their eggs between November and April, and on the estuary, monkeys can be seen scuttling to and fro, while sloths lounge about in the sunshine like the tourists on the beach. A quirky, fun, vibrant and colourful seaside idyll, our collection of the best places to stay in Tamarindo include a chic boutique hotel that offers seclusion and intimacy within walking distance of the beach.
What not to miss
- Sunbathe on the secluded and beautiful Langosta Beach.
- Take a guided tour of Grande Beach and watch the sea turtles lay their eggs.
- Enjoy a plethora of watersports, from fishing and swimming to windsurfing and surfing.
- Go monkey and sloth spotting on the estuary.
- Head out to Captains Island and enjoy a spot of snorkelling.
- Visit the open-air markets and buy some fresh fish.
- Check out the range of restaurants, bars and shops throughout the town.
A great place for backpackers, surfers and sunbathers alike, Tamarindo is perfect for sunshine, good food and good times. Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Tamarindo to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Tamarindo
- Cala Luna is a contemporary boutique hotel boasting an enviable location in amidst the rainforest and walking distance from a white sand beach. Chic rooms are light and airy with soft hues, plenty of glass and luxurious bathrooms. Spend days spotting exotic wildlife or surfing the waves. Fabulous.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a selection of self-catering accomodation in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is between November and April, when the turtles begin nesting their eggs - the dry season - when the temperature averages at around 27 degrees.
- Fly to Daniel Oduber Airport in Liberia, and take the shuttle bus (Tamarindo Transfers) to Tamarindo - a 45 minute drive.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Guanacaste
- or Costa Rica
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tamarindo
Best Hotels in Tamarindo
Cala Luna Tamarindo (Guanacaste) 41 rooms from $222Active Holiday - The coastal rainforest positioning provides the perfect terrain for numerous outdoor pursuits.Sailing - Take a half or full day excursion in one of the hotel's boats and choose to snorkle, fish or dive.Surfing - The hotel offers lessons and Tamarindo beach is perfect for beginners.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.
A contemporary boutique hotel boasting an enviable location just steps away from white sand Playa Langosta. Chic rooms, suites and villas are light and airy with soft hues, plenty of glass and luxurious bathrooms. Excellent restaurant, poolside bar and pampering spa treatments. Fabulous. See More