Search the best hotels in La Rochelle
About La Rochelle
A fascinating historic hub on the Bay of Biscay, La Rochelle boasts the largest marina for pleasure boats in Europe. This seaside city is a hugely popular holiday destination, and has succeeded in balancing its trendy, contemporary buzz with a real appreciation of its unique heritage. Accommodation options range from tranquil B&Bs to hip city hotels, fit for a range of tastes and budgets. The best places to stay in La Rochelle are housed in imposing old buildings, yet promise wonderfully vibrant, modern interiors for couples, families and friends to enjoy.
Life in La Rochelle is centred on the Vieux Port, from where you can admire boats, pick a perch for a coffee or a glass or wine, and contemplate views which have inspired countless artists. Heritage landmarks include the Tour Saint-Nicolas, which has defended the entrance to the harbour for more than 500 years, the Tour de la Lanterne, and the Gothic Porte de la Grosse Horloge. Take a guided walking tour through the Old Quarter, visit the Maison Henri II and the Musée du Nouveau Monde, and take the kids to the imposing La Rochelle Aquarium.
Beach days also come highly recommended — as do excursions to nearby Ile de Ré. Return to one of the best places to stay in La Rochelle for fantastic fresh seafood and a glass or two of crisp white wine.
The Best Places to Stay in La Rochelle
For a Charming B&B
- Entre Hôtes is a lovely, five-bedroom B&B with light, airy rooms featuring crisp white linens and soft blue tones. Book the suite for its vaulted exposed stone ceiling and big free-standing tub if you're travelling as a couple. Expect generous breakfasts; perfect for kick-starting days of exploring the Old Port and the coast. Centrally located and adults only.
For Contemporary Cool
- La Monnaie is a funky art hotel with artwork and sculptures in shared spaces, and a playful, contemporary feel. Design-led rooms are modern and minimalistic. The top-notch spa and extensive business facilities make this a brilliant choice for well-heeled holidaymakers or business travellers.
- Maison des Ambassadeurs is another slick city hotel, with indulgent rooms and suites hidden behind a heritage facade. Highlights include the gourmet restaurant, piano bar and swimming pool. A luxurious choice fusing classic style with modern touches.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to La Rochelle Airport, and travel into the city centre by car or bus. Alternatively, hop aboard a regular high-speed train from Paris; you'll be in La Rochelle in under 4 hours.
- The Charente-Maritime area is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit during the summer for the warmest weather and most idyllic beach days — though this is the busiest time of year. For a more tranquil experience, avoid the school holidays and travel in the late spring or early autumn.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay on Ile de Ré.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Charente-Maritime.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in La Rochelle
Best Hotels in La Rochelle
La Monnaie La Rochelle 36 rooms from $142Artworks - Modern art in every room and public space.Meeting Room - State of the art meeting room.City StyleSpa breaksRecommended by - Design Hotels
An art and spa hotel close to the beach. Modern art and sculptures throughout, boutique furnishings include chandeliers, leather chairs, all within a 17th century ornate building. Large rooms and suites with all the mod cons, top of the range spa, and excellent business facilities. See More
Entre Hôtes La Rochelle 5 rooms from $128Local exploring - With the city attractions and the coastline within walking distance, this hotel is great for local exploringCity Style - Set in the pretty coastal town of La Rochelle, this hotel has lots of French provincial charmRomantic Break - Couples rate this boutique B&B highly; book the secret garden cave suite for extra privacySights nearby - The bridge to L'île de Ré is just ten minutes away from this hotel; explore the small island on a day trip
This beautifully appointed B&B sits in the heart of La Rochelle. Inside, guestrooms have French country charm with floral print details and bright windows; book the garden suite for a spectacular vaulted stone ceiling and sit-out terrace. This hotel has the perfect location for exploring the coast. See More
Maison des Ambassadeurs La Rochelle 54 rooms from $187Value chic - Uber stylish modern accommodation, including a pool, at a great priceLocal markets - Browse the local markets surrouding the historic port of La Rochelle.Fishing - Take a sea fishing trip out from La Rochelle harbour.Sights nearby - Ten minutes from the La Rochelle Aquarium.
A stylish hotel in an 18th century setting in the heart of La Rochelle. Rooms feature modern yet minimalist decor with cool pastel palettes. A relaxing outdoor pool and intimate piano bar create an ambience of serenity in the vibrant port city. Expect great cocktails and gourmet cuisine, too. See More