The Hotel Guru is pretty upscale but fun to look at. Marcie Ellers.
Search the best hotels in La Rochelle
About La Rochelle
La Rochelle is a seaport on the Bay of Biscay whose origins go back to Roman times and there are still the remains of Roman villas and salt evaporation ponds at Les Minimes. The city has an illustrious past as a strategic centre and has a long and bloody history which culminated in the 1628 Siege de la Rochelle when Cardinal Richelieu sought to quell the powerful protestant Hugenots.
The best places to stay in La Rochelle provide the visitor with a wealth of things to see and do and most are ideally situated to make the most of this charming city.
What Not To Miss
- La Rochelle retains its close connection with the Atlantic; it boasts the largest marina for pleasure boats in Europe. Life revolves around the ‘vieux port’ with its myriad of bars and restaurants.
- The gothic gateway of the 14th century Porte de la Grosse Horloge leads to the old town with arcaded streets and architecture of all styles from medieval to ‘belle epoque’.
- Explore Aquarium La Rochelle, one of France's leading aquariums with an abundance of sharks and other fish, located conveniently near the town centre. A great activity for visitors of all ages
- Visit the iconic Towers of La Rochelle located imposingly at the entrance to the old port. The towers are remains of a historic defensive fortification that began construction in the 12th century.
- Stroll around Parc Charruyer with everything from goats to petanque to play areas. There is something for all the family in this large, beautifully maintained park.
Our pick of the best places to stay in La Rochelle features hotels located right in the heart of the town, ensuring that visitors can easily get out and enjoy the great sights and beaches this beautiful place has to offer.
For Luxury by the Beach
- La Monnaie is an art and spa hotel close to the beach. Modern art and sculptures throughout, boutique furnishings include chandeliers, leather chairs, all within a 17th century ornate building. Large rooms and suites with all the mod cons, top of the range spa and excellent business facilities.
Chic and Central
- For great value chic in a fantastic location, La Residence de France is a smart, stylish hotel in an 18th century setting in the heart of La Rochelle. Rooms feature modern yet minimalist decor with cool pastel palettes. A relaxing outdoor pool and intimate piano bar create an ambience of serenity in the vibrant port city. Plus there is an indulgent buffet breakfast.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a variety of properties in the town centre.
- Fly to La Rochelle Airport located only 7km (4.3 miles) from the city centre with a range of connections to both the UK and Europe.
- Catch a high-speed train to La Rochelle from Paris with an approximate journey time of 3h15.
- If you would like to rent a car to explore the beautiful countryside and beaches surrounding La Rochelle, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - La Rochelle enjoys a mild Oceanic climate; it seldom suffers from either extreme heat or cold. Though obviously the best times to visit (and the most popular) if you want to make the most of the beaches are the warm summer months.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in La Rochelle
La Monnaie 36 rooms from £111La Rochelle
An art and spa hotel close to the beach. Modern art and sculptures throughout, boutique furnishings include chandeliers, leather chairs, all within a 17th century ornate building. Large rooms and suites with all the mod cons, top of the range spa, and excellent business facilities.Artworks - Modern art in every room and public space.Meeting Room - State of the art meeting room.Spa breaksCity StyleRecommended by - Design Hotels
La Residence de France 54 rooms from £114La Rochelle
A smart, stylish hotel in an 18th century setting in the heart of La Rochelle. Rooms feature modern yet minimalist decor with cool pastel palettes. A relaxing outdoor pool and intimate piano bar create an ambience of serenity in the vibrant port city. Plus there is an indulgent buffet breakfast.Value chic - Uber stylish modern accommodation, including a pool, at a great priceLocal markets - Browse the local markets surrouding the historic port of La Rochelle.Fishing - Take a sea fishing trip out from La Rochelle harbour.Sights nearby - Ten minutes from the La Rochelle Aquarium.