Search the best hotels in Koggala
A small town on Sri Lanka’s superb south coast, Koggala remains relatively unexplored — in comparison to nearby holiday hotspots — and promises a wonderfully relaxing tropical stay. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, including family-run guesthouses and hotels to suit all budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Koggala includes several of our tried-and-tested favourites – beautiful hotels for young families, seasoned spa devotees and honeymoon couples keen to hide away in luxurious seclusion.
Calm and quiet, Koggala is also brilliantly located. The buzzing surf beaches of Kabalana and Ahangama are just three miles away, ideal for lessons or surfboard hire, as well as beach bars and cafés aplenty. Historic Galle Fort, on the other hand, is 10 miles to the west, full of charming boutiques and restaurants.
Highlights of Koggala itself include Koggala Lake, highly recommended for boat safaris, and the Martin Wickramasinghe Folk Art Museum, centred upon the life of the famed Sri Lankan novelist. Koggala is also well-known for the traditional stilt fishermen who occupy its shallow coastal waters.
The best places to stay in Koggala are beautifully designed havens — you may find yourself feeling far too content soaking up the sunshine poolside or tasting terrific seafood to go anywhere else! Do try to book well in advance if travelling during the high season as these places fill up fast.
The best places to stay in Koggala
For beachfront luxury
- The Fortress Resort & Spa boasts spacious contemporary interiors in 53 rooms and suites, a child-friendly infinity pool, an excellent Ayurvedic spa, and three restaurants for feasting on local and international cuisine. A stellar spot for the family to relax right by the sea.
For a romantic hideaway
- Tri Lanka is a striking high-end eco-haven hidden away on the banks of Koggala Lake. Beautiful rooms, suites and villas — some with private plunge pools — are defined by minimalist design, natural materials and a real focus on sustainability. Unwind at the spa or the yoga shala, dine on delectable seasonal dishes in the restaurant and while away evenings gazing up at the stars. A real honeymoon treat.
- Another romantic treat is Kahanda Kanda, tucked away in tea-leaf covered hills just to the north of Koggala. With just ten luxurious suites and no children allowed under 12, this is a gorgeous property with the added bonus of spa treatments and private dining for two!
For an apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Koggala is an easy 2 and a half hours’ drive on the expressway from Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport. Most hotels will be able to arrange an airport pickup with a reliable driver.
- If you are travelling from Colombo, daily trains run from Fort Station to Koggala. The journey take around 3 hours and tickets are cheap. This is a sticky, humid way to travel, but the coastal scenery is stunning!
- Expect sunshine and great surf from November to March, during peak season. Hotels tend to fill up quickly so book well in advance!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in Talpe or Galle.
- Alternatively check out our pick of all the best places to stay in Sri Lanka.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Koggala
Best Hotels in Koggala
The Fortress Resort & Spa Koggala 53 rooms from $177Swimming Pool - Outdoor infinity pool. Some rooms feature private plunge poolsSights nearby - 20 mins from Galle with its historic fortSpa - Featuring signature Ayurvedic therapiesSea Views - Fabulous views over the Indian Ocean
Luxury resort with stunning Indian Ocean views on Koggala Beach. Stylish interiors feature full length windows for maximum views, and contemporary Sri Lankan furnishings. Excellent facilities include three restaurants, infinity pool and Ayurvedic spa. Perfect for beachside relaxation. See More
Tri Lanka Koggala (Thitthagalle, Ahangama,) 11 rooms from $320Total relaxation - There are few spots as serene in Sri Lanka - morning yoga completes the vibeEco break - Solar panels, low emmissions, low enviromental impact and much moreRomantic Break - Private treetop cottages make this an ideal romantic escapeGreat walks - Explore the local tea estates and learn about Sri Lanka's famous "Virgin White Tea"Recommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Boutique eco-hideaway near Galle Fort, 11 rooms, mostly in separate villas enveloped in lush greenery. Sleek wood-and-stone restaurant terrace offers top-notch fusion fare, plus views across Koggala Lake. A romantic haven. World class yoga and excellent spa also make it the ideal detox escape. See More
Kahanda Kanda Koggala (Angulugaha) 10 rooms from $335Sights nearby - Visit the historic town of Galle with its museums and galleriesRestrictions on children - Children must be over the age of 12Cooking classes - Check for timings.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Up in the tea-leaf covered hills surrounding Galle, Kahanda Kanda is a lover’s retreat. Comprised of ten private suites, tucked away in lush grounds, decorated in a luxurious and modern décor. With private dining, spa treatments and plenty of activities this is one for hopeless romantics. See More