18 of the Best Boutique Hotels in Normandy
Normandy has a lot to offer its visitor. From some of France's most famous attractions such as the Bayeux Tapestry and Mont St-Michel to relics from the D-Day Landing. The landscapes are very alluring too with a dramatic coastline and pastoral interior with quaint villages and rolling fields. Like all of France, the region has world-renowned cuisine and is especially famed for its apples, cider, and camembert. With so many attractions, it comes as no surprise that the choice of accommodation is broad. However, our Hotel Gurus always lean towards a boutique when available for their individual feel. The best boutique hotels in Normandy range from converted chateaux to quaint seafront cottages. Chosen on their amenities, design, and location there is something for everyone whether you are on a family break or a romantic escape. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your stay?
For a hotel with a view
- La Chaumiere offers nine light and airy suites with artistically chosen contemporary furnishings and a very cool mix of old and new. Located right on the beach, the sea views are spectacular (particularly so from the restaurant). A great choice for a couples' escape.
- Le Jardin des Plumes is a short stroll from Monet’s house and gardens at Giverny. There's much to admire at this property from the heady mix of traditional and contemporary design, the perfect pastoral views, and even a Michelin starred restaurant.
For a romantic stay
- Les Maisons de Léa is a unique B&B set across three buildings. Each of the three buildings has its own decor and appeal, from rustic to Mediterranean to contemporary - but they’re all stylishly executed. With an atmospheric restaurant, suites with huge bathtubs and private terraces - this is an ideal choice for a romantic escape.
- La Ferme Saint Simeon is a luxurious five star with a top of the range spa. The views from many of the rooms, and especially the roof terrace and the garden, are wonderful. An indulgent spot to unwind with your significant other. The restaurant offers the finest local cuisine too.
For a complete escape
- In the heart of the Perche Regional Natural Park, Cote Parc is a rustic-chic eight-room escape. Some of the rooms are more rustic than others, with exposed beams and stone walls. Expect amenities beyond its size including a spa, gym and tea room.
- Le Domaine d'Ablon is a really special escape in a rural spot inland of Honfleur. It has just four accommodation choices ranging from extremely elegant suites set within the thatched roof of one of the beautiful old timber houses to larger family sized suites. There's a noteworthy regional restaurant and plenty of onsite activities.
- The Manoir de Surville boasts an extensive spa and an excellent restaurant. It’s in a beautiful rural spot, just outside the sleepy Norman village of Surville. There are just nine suites, decorated in cool monochrome hues which fits in elegantly with the original features of the timbered building.
For a beach break
- Tucked away amongst pretty gardens and woodland just along the cliffs from Etretat, Les Pins de Cesar is a seductively elegant hotel. Rooms and suites are stylishly decorated in dark, moody colours. There’s a gorgeous indoor pool, an indulgent spa, and an outdoor hot tub with wonderful forest views. A tranquil, romantic, and sophisticated spot.
- The Hotel des Isles offers an enviable location on a long sandy beach outside Barneville-Carteret. Design has a New England, nautique-chic, feel and most rooms have wonderful sea views. Outside there’s a pool, hot tub and several decked terraces, including one for the restaurant.
- Manoir de la Plage is a seaside manor with rooms decorated in a charismatic mix of traditional French decor and contemporary style. Ideal for couples, this adult-only stay offers hydrotherapy massages, an infrared sauna and the sunset beach walks are a must!
For a chateau
- The Château de la Pommeraye is an elegant stately home in a beautiful rural location. It has just five rooms, all of them sumptuous and traditional. Expect beautiful antiques, huge beds, and fairytale views. You can also book the whole property for private use, and arrange meals as needed.
- Elegant and romantic, the Château la Cheneviere is an 18th century château between Bayeux and the beach. Original features remain, however, rooms and suites are decorated with the height of modern luxury in mind. Complete with a cocktail bar, a classic French restaurant, beautiful parklands, a heated pool and tennis courts. An idyllic rural escape.
- Chateau Saint Gilles is a beautifully converted 18th-century chateau set in a secluded rural spot near Bayeux. Bright and contemporary apartments and rooms keep their heritage charm. With a beach nearby and plenty of activities on offer, this is a great choice for a country escape.
- Les Rochers is a lovingly restored 16th-century manor house with six rooms, a large family duplex room and a separate gîte (perfect for families wanting their own space). The decor is a fun collection of art and vintage furniture. The courtyard offers an ideal space for badminton or pétanque and there's plenty of space in the surrounding fields.
- La Dime de Giverny is a converted low manor house arranged, around a central courtyard, with a collection of seven self-catering cottages. Inside the cottages, you’ll find a sort of rustic minimalism, with bare brick, whitewashed walls, exposed beams and tiled floors. Breakfast is served and it's just a short stroll from numerous restaurants and eateries in the local village.
- Romantic and family-friendly, the Château de saint Paterne is 15th-century château, with charming hosts, in an idyllic spot outside Alencon. There are nine rooms and two suites — one of which is a treehouse in the woods that kids (and adults) will love. There's Michelin-starred dining, a swimming pool, tennis courts, badminton, and croquet to keep everyone entertained. Perfect for the whole family.
For great value
- With just four rooms and a colourful travel theme, La Belleme Bleue is a chic but affordable choice in Belleme. Somewhat off the beaten track, this little town is right inside the Parc Natural Regional du Perche, so it's green and lovely, and makes a good base for exploring the region’s interior. Considering its size the bar has a great wine list and the restaurant specialises in local cuisine. With a sauna and an adults-only policy - this is a grown-up choice.
- If minimalism is more your style then the Hotel Les 2 Villas might be more to your taste. A five-room hotel converted from two neighbouring villas in the heart of Trouville. This affordable hotel has neat, designer furnishings in monochrome colours. Moments from the beach; there’s no restaurant, but they do offer breakfast and you’re surrounded by cafes and restaurants.
- The Manoir'Hastings is a renovated 17th-century farmhouse in the pretty town of Bénouville. Modernised, but with some of its original features retained such as the pitched roofs, large beams and fireplaces made out of great slabs of stone. Complete with a modern French restaurant; this is a real steal!
- Le Clos St Martin is a chic four-bedroom B&B located in a 16th-century mansion in the heart of Caen. Guestrooms blend contemporary interior design with selected antiques and original heritage details. With family suites available, this is a well priced base for couples or families to explore the city from.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Normandy.
- Or refine your search to just the best hotels in Arromanches les Bains, the best places to stay in Dunkirk, the best places to stay in Bayeux or in Caen.
- Alternatively, you could consider our Guru’s recommendations for 20 of the Best B&Bs in Normandy, or 21 of the Best Château Hotels in Normandy.
- Or, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
La Chaumiere Honfleur (Route du Littoral) 9 rooms from $261Romantic BreakSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolSailing - Can be booked nearby.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Le Jardin des Plumes Giverny 8 rooms from $200Foodies - Michelin starred restaurantSights nearby - Monet's house and gardens merely 550 yards away; Impressionist Museum 450 yards, An hour from ParisViews - Great views from hotel
Traditional on the outside, whereas inside contemporary/modern prevails with art-deco furniture and classy, ornate decorations. Rooms are smartly furnished and bathrooms beautiful. Not only that, but Michelin starred cuisine and just round the corner from Monet's house and gardens at Giverny. See More
Les Maisons de Léa Honfleur, Normandy 28 rooms from $178Sights nearby - Located bang in the centre of HonfleurFull of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Private Hot TubRecommended by - Sawdays
A unique hotel B&B set in three different buildings in central Honfleur. Rooms, suites, and a private cottage all beautifully decorated in different styles: rustic farmhouse, Mediterranean, loft conversion. The bathrooms have huge bathtubs, some with private hot tubs. Fantastic. See More
La Ferme Saint Simeon Honfleur 35 rooms from $336Foodies - Le Restaurant is a fine dining restaurant that specialises in regional cuisine.Spa breaks - La Ferme de Beaute is a fully equipped spa with Turkish hammam and body wraps.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Le Domaine d'Ablon Honfleur (Ablon) 4 rooms from $500Active Holiday - Get out into the countryside and explore by bike, foot or horse back.Cooking classes - Learn how to cook dishes of the region in a class run by the hotel's chef.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
A chic rural property set just outside Hornfleur. Rooms mix contemporary and traditional styles; dotted with artworks and antiques, the best have roll-top baths. Regional dishes can be sampled in the restaurant and days can be spent walking, horse riding or cycling. A charming rural escape. See More
Chateau de la Pommeraye La Pommeraye, Normandy 5 rooms from $217Sights nearby - Discover the Bayeux tapestry and the Normandy landing beaches.Great walks - From the doorBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays, I Escape
Manoir de Surville Surville, Normandy 9 rooms from $205Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Château de Gaillon and Château du Champ de Bataille.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking routes.Romantic - Good for couples.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays, Mr & Mrs Smith
Les Pins de Cesar Normandy 14 rooms from $173Country Escape - Converted family estate situated in a nature reserve and offering quality spa facilities, ideal for relaxing country retreatsGreat walks - The Chemin des Douaniers is a stunning 7 km round-trip hike along the white-chalk cliffs nearbySights nearby - Head to the picturesque villages of Tilleul and Etretat on the charming Alabaster CoastSwimming Pool - Indoor poolRecommended by - Tablet
A peaceful coastal hotel tucked away in pretty gardens and woodlands near the cliffs. Featuring a gorgeous indoor pool and indulgent spa, its rustic charm is bound to seduce. Rooms are homely and sophisticated and expect to be delighted by the cuisine- ideal for a tranquil getaway. See More
Chateau La Cheneviere Bayeux 29 rooms from $217Foodies - The restaurant serves classical cuisine based on the flavours of Normandy.LuxuryRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Small Luxury Hotels
A luxurious 18th century chateau on the coastline. Traditional and elegant interiors include enormous rooms and suites, a classical French restaurant, and an inviting bar. Heated pool, tennis courts, golf and beaches nearby. A fantastic spot for a romantic break filled with sporting activities. See More
Cote Parc Normandy 8 rooms from $133Short fly break - Just 160 km from Paris and located in a national park making this ideal for weekend rural escapes.Total relaxation - The spa has a hot tub, steam room and there is an on-site gym.Great walks - In the Perche Regional Nature Park, there are many of great walks and hiking trails.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Chateau de saint Paterne Alencon 11 rooms from $169Foodies - Continental breakfast and 5 course set dinners by a Michelin chef.FamiliesSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Stunning 15th century chateau with a fantastic table d'hotes and charming hosts. Romantic bedrooms and suites in soft pastels with wooden panelled walls, fourposter beds, and fireplaces. In-room massages, a swimming pool, and early supper for children. Romantic, but still family friendly. See More
Le Manoir de la Plage Honfleur 7 rooms from $111Romantic Break - Reputed to be a quiet and remote location, ideal for a couple's weekend near the seaTotal relaxation - Remote, quiet and relaxing facilities (sauna, swimming pool and hydrotherapy)Beach Life - The beach is on the doorstep of the manor, perfect for sunset walksTennis - Tennis court are available for hire at 10€ per hour for 2 people
Majestic seaside manor with rooms decorated in a charismatic mix of traditional French decor and contemporary style. Switch off and enjoy a hydrotherapy massage or a session in the infrared sauna. Start your morning off with a fresh breakfast by the sea. Peaceful location with impressive sunsets. See More
Hotel des Isles Barneville Carteret 31 rooms from $122Views - Views over either the English Channel or Cape CarteretFishing - Fishing equipment may be borrowed from the hotelSwimming Pool - Heated Outdoor poolSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
La Dime de Giverny 27620 Giverny 7 rooms from $233Local exploring - The historic Vexin region is great to explore, with its valleys, the forest of Lyons, abbeys, castles and beautiful parksSights nearby - Check out Monet’s beautiful house and garden, the castle of La Roche-Guyon and the 800 year-old Château GaillardHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Back to Nature
An historic Giverny guesthouse offering rooms in the house or self-catering cottages. Rooms are pared back yet stylish, combining rustic charm and elegance with hardwood floors, bare brick walls, wooden beams and chic furnishings. Breakfast is served, while village eateries are in walking distance. See More
Les Rochers Normandy 6 rooms from $145Sights nearby - The Bayeux Tapestry and D-Day beaches are easily accessibleHideaway - Get away from it all in this rural oasisGreat walks - Good for walkers.Secluded setting - For escaping.
B&B accommodation in lovingly restored 16th-century manor house. Inside, airy rooms boast an eclectic collection of art and furniture ranging from classic to art deco to contemporary. Gourmet dinners available on request. Duplex room and gîte perfect for families. A tranquil rural escape. See More
La Belleme Bleue Bellême, Normandy 5 rooms from $100Country Escape - This homely guesthouse is set in the quaint town of Belleme, well-off the beaten trackActive Holiday - Explore the surrounding Normandy landscape by bicyle, horse back or footRestrictions on children - Adult onlyQuirky - An experience!
A gorgeous property with lovingly designed, themed rooms, inspired by the continents of Asia, Europe, Africa and the Americas, with artwork and furnishings to match. The restaurant offers delicious local cuisine and the bar has an enviable wine list. Guests can relax at the hotel's on-site sauna. See More
Hotel Les 2 Villas Deauville (TROUVILLE SUR MER) 5 rooms from $143Local exploring - Trouville is ideally positioned to explore the coast and attractions of Normandy.Sights nearby - Discover the old harbour, surrounded by numerous brick or slate-clad houses at nearby Honfleur.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
Two converted villas offering chic accommodation in the heart of Trouville. Individually styled rooms are minimalist in design with plenty of light, crisp white linen and designer furniture. A central courtyard is a sunny spot to enjoy breakfast and the beach is just at the end of the street. See More
Manoir'Hastings 14970, Normandy 4 rooms from $145Business meetings - The seminar room can accommodate up to 50 people: catering and coffee is included for business meetings.Short fly break - Well positioned just 10 minutes from Caen and 2 hours from Paris.Foodies - Sample exemplary modern french cuisine at the hotel's restaurant.Sights nearby - History on your doorstep: the Bayeux Tapestry is only 40km away.
A renovated 17th century farmhouse in Benouville. Four chic rooms are light and airy with a perfect mix of contemporary and traditional styles. Boasting a fabulous restaurant serving modern French cuisine. Walking distance from Pegasus Bridge, (a pivotal D-day site) and Caen is nearby. See More
Le Clos St Martin Caen 4 rooms from $178Romantic Break - The stylish suites at this newly renovated hotel are ideal for a romantic couples' break, with sink-in beds and chic antiquesLocal exploring - Set close to the D-Day beaches in the picturesque heart of Caen, there is lots to explore local to this hotelFamilies - Family suites are adapted to parents travelling with children, offering extra space and cots for babiesSights nearby - Walk to the beautiful Abbaye-aux-Hommes, an abbey built by William the Conqueror in the 11th century
This elegant hotel is housed within a restored, 16th-century mansion in the centre of Caen. Guestrooms blend contemporary interior design with selected antiques and original heritage details, from exposed beams to wooden floors. A chic bolt-hole, great for local sightseeing. See More
Château Saint Gilles Bayeux (Guéron) 9 rooms from $159Hideaway - Nestled outside Bayeux in the sleepy commune of Guéron, this hotel makes a perfect choice for an elegant hideaway holidayCountry Escape - Set in a classic château in Bayeux surrounded by beautiful countryside, book this hotel for a chic rural retreatFamilies - The spacious family suites available and expansive gardens make this ideal for those travelling with childrenSights nearby - Visit the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Bayeux, a wonderful example of Norman architecture commissioned by William the Conqueror
This charming hotel is nestled in a converted, 18th-century château close to Bayeux in Normandy. Inside, guestrooms and apartments are bright and contemporary, while tall windows and heritage fireplaces attest to the property's heritage - a chic and comfortable place to rest after local sightseeing. See More