18 of the Best Boutique Hotels in Normandy
Camembert, crepes, cider, calvados and cream-rich cuisine, Normandy is certainly a destination with luxurious credentials. Normandy is also rich in art, in museums, in historic sites and in architecture. But its rural charms and dramatic coastal landscapes mean it’s also perfect for an escape-type break. And Normandy has a boutique hotel to suit visitors in search of both luxury and an escape. Normandy also has boutique château hotels, for those looking for something extra special, and boutique hotels perfect for family holidays, with large rooms, suites or private villas or gîtes. You’ll find beautiful boutique hotels in the pretty ports or secluded hamlets, as well as in the major centres. In fact Normandy is really quite rich in boutique hotels. If we agree that the term boutique hotel is predominately about being small, chic, independent, personal and one of a kind. With these qualities in mind these are our Guru’s recommendations for the 18 of the best boutique hotels in Normandy.
For a boutique hotel with a view
- La Chaumiere is romantic, would appeal to lovers of great design and flair, and anyone looking for a hotel right on the beach, with a garden, and an excellent restaurant… So it fits the bill for several of our categories. We just can’t get over the views of the ocean from the restaurant, though, and the views of the gardens and the woods from the other side of the property are serene too. There are just nine suites, all light and airy, with artistically chosen contemporary furnishings and details, and a very cool mix of old and new.
- Le Jardin des Plumes is a short stroll from Monet’s house and gardens at Giverny, and looking out the windows, or off your terrace, at this hotel, you’ll feel as if you’re in the Giverny of his day, with green views, small cobbled country roads and elegantly rustic homes. On the outside, the hotel looks like part of the traditional, rural scene too, with painted beams and windows within the pitched roof, but inside it’s decorated with a modern/contemporary style, complemented by Art Deco and mid-century details. There are just eight rooms and suites, a beautiful garden and a Michelin-starred restaurant. Oh, and an impressive hotel parrot who will befriend your children if you bring them.
For a romantic stay
- Honfleur is another of Normandy’s towns well known for pretty appeal, and, while there are a couple of really fantastic hotels in Honfleur, we also love Les Maisons de Léa, a unique B&B hotel set in three different buildings, and offering 28 rooms, five suites and a private cottage which sleeps five. Each of the three buildings has its own decor and appeal, from rustic, to Mediterranean to contemporary, but they’re all stylishly executed, and many of the rooms are quite luxurious with huge bathtubs or hot tubs, or private terraces. The restaurant is good too.
- In Honfleur we also j’adore La Ferme Saint Simeon a luxurious, five star choice with 35 rooms and suites and a top of the range spa. The views from many of the rooms, and especially the roof terrace and the garden, are wonderful, and this is just the perfect spot to unwind with your loved one. The restaurant is offers the finest local cuisine too.
For a complete escape
- In the heart of the Perche Regional Natural Park, Cote Parc, is a rustic chic eight room escape. Some of the rooms are more rustic than others, with exposed beams and stone walls, but the rusticity is just for show, this is a very comfortable hotel with plenty of luxurious features, including a spa, gym and tea room. There’s also a lovely garden.
- Le Domaine d'Ablon is a really special escape, in a rural spot inland of Honfleur. It has just four accommodation choices, ranging from extremely elegant suites in incredible rooms within the thatched roof of one of its beautiful old timber houses, to larger, family sized suites of rooms which include living space too. In addition to the fantastic original features, this hotel has been very stylishly decorated, with antiques and artworks, and it’s got a fantastic restaurant specialising in regional cuisine, where you can also learn to make some of them yourself. Guests are also able to take horticulture or flower arranging classes.
- The Manoir de Surville is more of a proper hotel, if that’s what you’re looking for, with a superb spa too, and an excellent restaurant. It’s in a beautiful rural spot, just outside the sleepy Norman village of Surville. There are just nine suites, decorated in soft greys and great black and white photographs, which fit in elegantly with the original features of this timbered building.
Best Boutique Beach Hotels
- Tucked away amongst pretty gardens and woodland just along the cliffs from Etretat, Les Pins de Cesar is a seductively elegant hotel with 14 rooms and suites, decorated stylishly in dark, moody colours to make the most of the views and the estate’s original features. There’s a gorgeous indoor pool and an indulgent spa, but there’s also an outdoor hot tub with wonderful forest views. There’s not strictly a restaurant, but you can arrange to take meals in one of the hotel’s lounges or the dining room, and the cuisine is highly regarded. This is a tranquil, romantic, sophisticated spot. But they do have family suites too, and a private villa.
- The Hotel des Isles is in a great spot just above a long, sandy beach outside Barneville-Carteret. A 31 room hotel with a New England, nautique-chic feel, and big windows letting in lots of light and offering lots of opportunity to enjoy a sea view, the Hotel des Isles has a good range of accommodation, including family suites, as well as simple, affordable rooms. And outside there’s a pool, hot tub and several decked terraces, including one for the restaurant.
For a boutique chateau stay
- The Château de la Pommeraye is an elegant stately home in a beautiful, rural location. It has just five rooms, all of them sumptuous and traditional, with beautiful antiques in a simple arrangement, huge beds and fairytale views. For many this will match your idea of the Perfect Château, from the Louis XVI furniture to the Italianate stairwells. You can also book the whole property for private use, and arrange meals as needed.
- Elegant and romantic, the Château la Cheneviere is an 18th century château between Bayeux and the beach, but closer to the beach. Offering all the luxury of a fine hotel, but in a château setting, with some wonderful original features, these 29 large rooms and suites are decorated with the height of modern luxury in mind, and there’s a cocktail bar, a classical French restaurant, a heated pool and tennis courts. And you’re surrounded by the château’s beautiful gardens and parkland.
The Best Boutique Hotels for Families
- If you’d like more space than a hotel room traditionally offers consider Les Rochers, a lovingly restored, 16th century rustic-feeling manor house, with six rooms, a large family duplex room and a separate gîte, which is perfect for families wanting their own space. The decor is a fun collection of art, furniture and finds, and you’re surrounded by fields, aside from the courtyard, which is perfect for badminton or pétanque. There’s no restaurant, but they can provide gourmet suppers on request.
- Close to Monet’s Giveny, La Dime de Giverny is a converted low manor house, arranged around a central courtyard, with a collection of seven self-catering cottages. Inside the cottages you’ll find a sort of rustic minimalism, with bare brick, or white washed walls, exposed beams and tiled floors, and yet every modern comfort. They offer breakfast, and you’re just a short stroll from numerous restaurants and eateries in the local village. And of course the location is impeccable for seeing all the wonders the Impressionists saw.
- Romantic AND family friendly, the Château de saint Paterne is 15th century château with really charming hosts in an idyllic spot outside Alencon. There are nine rooms and two suites — one of the suites is in a treehouse in the woods! and the suites are part of why this château is listed as one of the best boutique hotels in Normandy for families. The other parts of the reason are the early, Michelin-starred suppertime for the children, and all the things you can do here, including swimming, playing tennis or badminton, or croquet or table tennis. The interiors are very romantic, some rooms have four-poster beds, or exposed beams, some have parquet floors or painted murals, but they’re all lovely. And the table d’hotes is fantastic.
For great value
- With just four rooms and a colourful travel theme, La Belleme Bleue is a chic but affordable choice inside a simple guesthouse in Belleme. Somewhat off the beaten tack, this little town is right inside the Parc Natural Regional du Perche, so its green and lovely, and makes a good base for exploring the region’s interior. Considering its size the bar has a great wine list and the restaurant specialises in local cuisine. There’s even a sauna. No kids.
- If minimalism is more your style then the Hotel Les 2 Villas might be more to your taste. A five room hotel converted from two neighbouring villas in the heart of Trouville, this affordable hotel has neat, design-style furnishings in monochrome colours, with natural materials and chic black pendant lamps. It’s got a sunny courtyard too, and it’s just a few minutes stroll from the beach. There’s no restaurant, but they do offer breakfast and you’re surrounded by cafes and restaurants.
- The Manoir'Hastings is a renovated 17th century farmhouse in the pretty town of Bénouville, which is just a short walk from Pegasus Bridge, a key spot during the D Day landings, and a short drive from Caen. Modernised, but with some of its original, charming features retained, like the pitched roofs and large beams and fireplaces made out of great slabs of stone, this manior has just four rooms and suites, all light and airy, and a modern French restaurant.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Normandy.
- Or refine your search to just the best hotels in Arromanches les Bains, the best places to stay in Dunkirk, the best places to stay in Bayeux or in Caen.
- Alternatively, you could consider our Guru’s recommendations for 20 of the Best B&Bs in Normandy, or 21 of the Best Château Hotels in Normandy.
- Or, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
La Chaumiere Honfleur (Route du Littoral) 9 rooms from £204Romantic BreakSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolSailing - Can be booked nearby.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Le Jardin des Plumes Giverny 8 rooms from £156Foodies - Michelin starred restaurantSights nearby - Monet's house and gardens merely 550 yards away; Impressionist Museum 450 yards, An hour from ParisViews - Great views from hotel
Traditional on the outside, whereas inside contemporary/modern prevails with art-deco furniture and classy, ornate decorations. Rooms are smartly furnished and bathrooms beautiful. Not only that, but Michelin starred cuisine and just round the corner from Monet's house and gardens at Giverny. See More
Les Maisons de Léa Honfleur, Normandy 28 rooms from £139Sights nearby - Located bang in the centre of HonfleurFull of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Private Hot TubRecommended by - Sawdays
A unique hotel B&B set in three different buildings in central Honfleur. Rooms, suites, and a private cottage all beautifully decorated in different styles: rustic farmhouse, Mediterranean, loft conversion. The bathrooms have huge bathtubs, some with private hot tubs. Fantastic. See More
La Ferme Saint Simeon Honfleur 35 rooms from £262Foodies - Le Restaurant is a fine dining restaurant that specialises in regional cuisine.Spa breaks - La Ferme de Beaute is a fully equipped spa with Turkish hammam and body wraps.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, Tablet
Le Domaine d'Ablon Honfleur (Ablon) 4 rooms from £390Active Holiday - Get out into the countryside and explore by bike, foot or horse back.Cooking classes - Learn how to cook dishes of the region in a class run by the hotel's chef.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
A chic rural property set just outside Hornfleur. Rooms mix contemporary and traditional styles; dotted with artworks and antiques, the best have roll-top baths. Regional dishes can be sampled in the restaurant and days can be spent walking, horse riding or cycling. A charming rural escape. See More
Chateau de la Pommeraye La Pommeraye, Normandy 5 rooms from £169Sights nearby - Discover the Bayeux tapestry and the Normandy landing beaches.Great walks - From the doorBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays, I Escape
Manoir de Surville Surville, Normandy 9 rooms from £160Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Château de Gaillon and Château du Champ de Bataille.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking routes.Romantic - Good for couples.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays, Mr & Mrs Smith
Les Pins de Cesar Normandy 14 rooms from £135Country Escape - Converted family estate situated in a nature reserve and offering quality spa facilities, ideal for relaxing country retreatsGreat walks - The Chemin des Douaniers is a stunning 7 km round-trip hike along the white-chalk cliffs nearbySights nearby - Head to the picturesque villages of Tilleul and Etretat on the charming Alabaster CoastSwimming Pool - Indoor poolRecommended by - Tablet
A peaceful coastal hotel tucked away in pretty gardens and woodlands near the cliffs. Featuring a gorgeous indoor pool and indulgent spa, its rustic charm is bound to seduce. Rooms are homely and sophisticated and expect to be delighted by the cuisine- ideal for a tranquil getaway. See More
Chateau La Cheneviere Bayeux 29 rooms from £169Foodies - The restaurant serves classical cuisine based on the flavours of Normandy.LuxuryRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Michelin Travel, Small Luxury Hotels
A luxurious 18th century chateau on the coastline. Traditional and elegant interiors include enormous rooms and suites, a classical French restaurant, and an inviting bar. Heated pool, tennis courts, golf and beaches nearby. A fantastic spot for a romantic break filled with sporting activities. See More
Cote Parc Normandy 8 rooms from £104Short fly break - Just 160 km from Paris and located in a national park making this ideal for weekend rural escapes.Total relaxation - The spa has a hot tub, steam room and there is an on-site gym.Great walks - In the Perche Regional Nature Park, there are many of great walks and hiking trails.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Chateau de saint Paterne Alencon 11 rooms from £132Foodies - Continental breakfast and 5 course set dinners by a Michelin chef.FamiliesSwimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Stunning 15th century chateau with a fantastic table d'hotes and charming hosts. Romantic bedrooms and suites in soft pastels with wooden panelled walls, fourposter beds, and fireplaces. In-room massages, a swimming pool, and early supper for children. Romantic, but still family friendly. See More
Hotel des Isles Barneville Carteret 31 rooms from £95Views - Views over either the English Channel or Cape CarteretFishing - Fishing equipment may be borrowed from the hotelSwimming Pool - Heated Outdoor poolSights nearby - Well located for major sights.
La Dime de Giverny 27620 Giverny 7 rooms from £182Local exploring - The historic Vexin region is great to explore, with its valleys, the forest of Lyons, abbeys, castles and beautiful parksSights nearby - Check out Monet’s beautiful house and garden, the castle of La Roche-Guyon and the 800 year-old Château GaillardHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Back to Nature
An historic Giverny guesthouse offering rooms in the house or self-catering cottages. Rooms are pared back yet stylish, combining rustic charm and elegance with hardwood floors, bare brick walls, wooden beams and chic furnishings. Breakfast is served, while village eateries are in walking distance. See More
Les Rochers Normandy 6 rooms from £113Sights nearby - The Bayeux Tapestry and D-Day beaches are easily accessibleHideaway - Get away from it all in this rural oasisGreat walks - Good for walkers.Secluded setting - For escaping.
B&B accommodation in lovingly restored 16th-century manor house. Inside, airy rooms boast an eclectic collection of art and furniture ranging from classic to art deco to contemporary. Gourmet dinners available on request. Duplex room and gîte perfect for families. A tranquil rural escape. See More
La Belleme Bleue Bellême, Normandy 5 rooms from £78Country Escape - This homely guesthouse is set in the quaint town of Belleme, well-off the beaten trackActive Holiday - Explore the surrounding Normandy landscape by bicyle, horse back or footRestrictions on children - Adult onlyQuirky - An experience!
A gorgeous property with lovingly designed, themed rooms, inspired by the continents of Asia, Europe, Africa and the Americas, with artwork and furnishings to match. The restaurant offers delicious local cuisine and the bar has an enviable wine list. Guests can relax at the hotel's on-site sauna. See More
Hotel Les 2 Villas Deauville (TROUVILLE SUR MER) 5 rooms from £112Local exploring - Trouville is ideally positioned to explore the coast and attractions of Normandy.Sights nearby - Discover the old harbour, surrounded by numerous brick or slate-clad houses at nearby Honfleur.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
Two converted villas offering chic accommodation in the heart of Trouville. Individually styled rooms are minimalist in design with plenty of light, crisp white linen and designer furniture. A central courtyard is a sunny spot to enjoy breakfast and the beach is just at the end of the street. See More
Manoir'Hastings 14970, Normandy 4 rooms from £113Business meetings - The seminar room can accommodate up to 50 people: catering and coffee is included for business meetings.Short fly break - Well positioned just 10 minutes from Caen and 2 hours from Paris.Foodies - Sample exemplary modern french cuisine at the hotel's restaurant.Sights nearby - History on your doorstep: the Bayeux Tapestry is only 40km away.
A renovated 17th century farmhouse in Benouville. Four chic rooms are light and airy with a perfect mix of contemporary and traditional styles. Boasting a fabulous restaurant serving modern French cuisine. Walking distance from Pegasus Bridge, (a pivotal D-day site) and Caen is nearby. See More