- ✓ Best selection
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Portugal
Best Hotels in Portugal
- (3 hotels) Albufeira hotels
- (21 hotels) Alentejo hotels
- (23 hotels) Algarve hotels
- (1 hotels) Altura hotels
- (1 hotels) Amarante hotels
- (1 hotels) Azores hotels
- (1 hotels) Carminha hotels
- (6 hotels) Cascais hotels
- (1 hotels) Castelo Rodrigo hotels
- (5 hotels) Costa Verde hotels
- (2 hotels) Estremadura hotels
- (5 hotels) Evora hotels
- (2 hotels) Faro hotels
- (5 hotels) Lagos hotels
- (22 hotels) Lisbon hotels
- (12 hotels) Madeira hotels
- (1 hotels) Manteigas hotels
- (1 hotels) Moncao hotels
- (1 hotels) Northern Portugal hotels
- (2 hotels) Obidos hotels
- (1 hotels) Penafiel hotels
- (1 hotels) Peniche hotels
- (2 hotels) Peso da Regua hotels
- (1 hotels) Pinhao hotels
- (2 hotels) Ponte de Lima hotels
- (1 hotels) Portimao hotels
- (13 hotels) Porto hotels
- (2 hotels) Sabrosa hotels
- (1 hotels) Santarém hotels
- (2 hotels) Serra da Estrela hotels
- (1 hotels) Setubal hotels
- (3 hotels) Sintra hotels
- (6 hotels) Tavira hotels
- (1 hotels) Torres Vedras hotels
- (1 hotels) Viana do Castelo hotels
- (1 hotels) Vidago hotels
- (1 hotels) Vila Real hotels
- (1 hotels) Viseu hotels
- (1 hotels) Vouzela hotels
Companhia das culturas 8 rooms from $56Algarve
Charming and rustic hotel on 40 hectare working farm. Rooms have whitewashed walls, antique furnishings and French doors leading out into garden. With a hammam Turkish bath, outdoor saltwater pool, yoga, Tai-chi and Qi-gong classes. Close to beaches, local markets and great walks. Value chic.Great walks - Around Castro Marim and Cacela VelhaFull of characterFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Dom Manuel I Charming Residence 33 rooms from $63Lagos (Algarve)
A charming adult-only hotel with outdoor pool in a tropical palm covered garden. Traditional Portuguese tiles adorn cosy bedrooms and colourful communal areas. Enjoy drinks and bar snacks by the pool or explore the many bars and restaurants nearby. Just 500m from one of Lagos' best beaches.Romantic Break - No children means total relaxation and a romantic stayBeach Life - A short walk from one of Lagos' best beachesSailing - Sail at the nearby beachesGreat walks - Good walking routes
The Sky Lofts 10 rooms from $41Lisbon
A charming, low-cost loft hotel near Lisbon's city centre. The rooms are comfortable and spacious with simple furnishings and original loft roofs. The surrounding area is home to trendy art galleries and lively bars and restaurants. A great cost-effective option for Lisbon.Groups - Trendy location overlooking Eduardo VII Park, loft style rooms and shared kitchen make it perfect for a group holiday.Sights nearby - Visit Lisbons historic old town via a ride on the iconic Glória Funicular.
Solar dos Mouros 10 rooms from $84Lisbon
Extremely attractive B&B with breathtaking views from the castle rampart over the city and the river. Colourfully decorated with walls covered in African art work. A perfect getaway for a weekend exploring.Views - Breathtaking views of the city and riverSights nearby - 5 minutes walk from the Old Town and just down the road from the São Jorge castle.
Estalagem de Monsaraz 18 roomsAlentejo
A rustic inn perched on a mountain ledge with stunning valley views. Charming rooms and suites have stone floors, wooden furnishings, and private balconies. Lovely terraces, swimming pool, gardens, and restaurant. Great for families or couples on a budget.Views - Beautiful valley views.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Cerca do Sul 7 rooms from $64Brejão, Alentejo
A charming country house B&B with a communal kitchen, gardens, pool, and children's playground. Farmhouse chic bedrooms are excellent value and extra beds can be included. Within striking distance of beaches. A great choice for a budget family beach holiday.Value chicFamiliesGreat walks - The village of Odeceixe calls for a nice walk through the main square and narrow streets.Sights nearby - Aljezur is 15 minutes away with quite a few attractions.
Castelo Santa Catarina 26 rooms from $48Porto
Castle accommodation at rock bottom prices. Absolutely charming - gardens, authentic furniture and decorations, hand painted tiles, and a private chapel. An authentic B&B in a secluded spot.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
6Only Guest House 6 rooms from $69Porto
This is a small and simple, but nevertheless very stylish B&B. Set in a prime location next to nightlife and museums. The National Theatre S João and Casa da Musica are just around the corner. It is an ideal place to stay for a non-fussy city mini-break.City Style - In a prime location near cultural activities and nightlifeSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - I Escape
Penha da Franca 109 rooms from $64Funchal, Madeira
A large seaside hotel with simple and comfortable bedrooms overlooking the garden or out to sea. Two large swimming pools and a lively games room provide entertainment for all on site. Local restaurants nearby and water sports on offer at the beach.Swimming Pool - Two outdoor salt water pools - one is heatedSights nearby - 10 mins walk from the centre of Funcha;Fishing - Can be organised through the hotelDiving - Diving Centre nearby
Estalagem da Ponta do Sol 54 rooms from $66Ponta do Sol, Madeira
Minimalist beach chic on a cliff top with fabulous views, excellent spa and restaurant. All white rooms with private balconies, trendy open-air bar, infinity pool, and access to the hotel's yacht. Ideal for an active summer holiday with all the luxury indulgence to go with it.Other Activities - Summer parties on the terrace with international DJs.Views - Views out to see from the cliff top.Spa breaksSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor Pool
Quinta da Colina 3 rooms from $85Conceição, Algarve
Traditional Algarvian manor which has been tastefully converted to provide B&B accommodation plus cottages and an apartment for self catering. Set amid 6 hectares filled with olive, orange and carob trees. A quieter, truly relaxing spot from which to enjoy the pleasures of the real Algarve.Swimming Pool - Created from the old irrigation tank with original well and water wheel feature on the terrace.Sights nearby - Only 6 minutes by car from TaviraSailing - Can be booked nearby.Full of character
Casa Beleza do Sul 4 rooms from $91Tavira
Beautifully restored 19th-century house in the unspoilt, delightful town of Tavira in the Algarve. Stylish suites and self-catering apartments have been designed by the architect owner. Original mosaic floors and features have been left intact. Shady roof terraces with panoramic views. A gem.Self catering - Self-catering studio and apartments have well-equipped kitchenettes, terraces with tables and sun loungersTown - Tavira is a charming and unspoilt old town, pretty squares and gardens, fishermen at work on their netsGolf - The Algarve is famous for its golf courses and some of the best are close to TaviraBeach nearby - Beautiful sandy beach close by
Casa da Pergola 10 rooms from $59Cascais
An historic mansion in a sleepy fishing village. Elegant rooms have chandeliers, silky fabrics, and sophisticated furnishings, some have private balconies. Charming inner courtyard and luscious gardens. Close to sailing, sightseeing, and wine tasting.Value chicSailing - Bay of Cascais and Tagus river.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Farol Design Hotel 33 rooms from $118Cascais
This hotel definitely does not betray its name. Its cutting edge design - clean lines and white everything - make this a very trendy spot to stay. Stunning infinity pool (almost touching the sea) and excellent fusion restaurant. A hit for for the young and hip, honeymooners or not.Swimming Pool - Infinity pool overlooking the sea.City Style - Truly hip.Local markets - Good for local colour.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Portugal's variety is one of its greatest assets. Along with its calendar full of colourful festivals and unique culture. In a single day you can travel from verdant mountains in the north, to the vineyards on the slopes, through the rocky centre to the rustic rural pleasures of the Alentejo region and on to the glamorous golden sands of the Algarve and the coast.
Variety is also a great asset when it comes to the question of where to stay, and the best places to stay in Portugal can be found dotted all over the county.
Lisbon is a vibrant capital city abounding with charm and colour, and filled with the music of Fado and the characteristic rattling of yellow trams as they trundle past decorative tiled façades.
Most of us know Porto, and the whole Douro Valley for its port, which begins its life in the vineyards surrounding the city, the grapes growing plump on the water of the Douro. Port is also an ancient and historic port, graced with spectacular architecture a large number of museums and gorgeous Baroque churches. And the Ribeira district, with its winding cobbled streets, steep staircases and orange roofed buildings, is heritage listed. In addition to all the port houses there are also colourful food markets to explore - so plenty to appeal to foodies - though the favourite local dish is tripe.
Many turn to Portugal for sunshine and cloudless blue skies, in which case you're here for the Algarve! As well as mile upon mile of golden sand framed by characteristic limestone rocks standing guard dramatically over turquoise waters, the Algarve is also rich in bird life, golf courses and surf breaks. While the resorts around Faro and the airport are well developed, the Western Algarve is still a beautiful semi-wilderness.
Madeira is another year round warm and sunny destination, AND of course it tempts with its Madeira cake and wine too. While Alentejo offers more dramatic, rural scenery, and a wonderfully relaxed pace of life in amongst vineyards, white towns and megalithic monuments. Alentejo covers almost a third of Portugal, from the Atlantic coast to the Spanish border and the Algarve, but it has only about seven percent of the population. And its charming old white towns, where nothing has changed for decades, are sparsely dotted amongst olive groves and cork forests. Alentejo's beaches are beautiful and on a road trip along white cliffs and virginal coasts you'll feel like you're the only people in the world.
The Best Places to Stay in Portugal
If you know which part of Portugal you're heading to skip to our Portuguese Destination Guides:
- The Best Places to Stay in Lisbon
- The Best Places to Stay in Porto and the Douro Valley
- The Best Places to Stay in the Algarve
- The Best Places to Stay in Madeira
- The Best Places to Stay in Alentejo
- The Best Places to Stay in Tavira
The Best Places to Stay in Portugal for a City Break: Lisbon
- The Heritage Av Liberdade, situated on one of Lisbon's most famous streets, is an award winning hotel - the brain child of architect Câncio Martins, renowned for the Buddha Bar in Paris and Strictly Hush in London.
- The only Art Deco hotel in Lisbon, the Hotel Britania has been beautifully restored and retains many period features. Bedrooms are large and a library and intimate bar on the ground floor give the place a distinctly private club feel.
- The Hotel Lisboa Plaza offers traditional, old world charm coupled with very personalised service. The bar and fabulous terrace emphasise the relaxed ambience. With a long list of devotees who wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else, you might want to book well ahead!
- Book a room at the Solar do Castelo and you'll have bagged the only accommodation within the walls of the Castle of Saint George, which rises out of the beautiful labyrinth of the old Moorish quarter. This unique hotel manages to effortlessly blend the old and new, with exposed stone walls complemented by new pale wood and rich fabrics.
The Best Places to Stay in Portugal for Foodies and Wine Buffs: Porto and the Douro Valley
- Some of Porto's port houses offer accommodations too, one of the best examples being The Yeatman by well known Port brand, Taylors. Rising above the port houses to offer views of the Douro Valley, this is a lavish place to stay, with a fantastic spa, infinity pool and plenty of marble. But still awash with character.
- Porto is awash with magnificent art and architecture, and the Hotel Vidago Palace is an excellent example. The beautiful Art Nouveau buildings and pristine parklands are well worth the short hike into town.
- The Palacio Freixo, a baroque masterpiece built in the 18th century, is another. There are many restored public areas, so you can pretend you're living in a palace. But it's also got all the mod. cons.. Including an infinity pool overlooking the stunning Duoro.
- If you prefer to stay in B&Bs, the Castelo Santa Caterina is for you: a castle in its own gardens, set off the road and covered in fantastic Portuguese glazed tiles, this is a traditional spot, but close to a number of major attractions.
The Best Places to Stay in Portugal for Sunshine: The Algarve
- Just outside historic Sagres on the unspoilt Western Algarve, the Martinhal Beach Resort is a luxurious resort village with plenty of space and plenty to do. There are five swimming pools, kids clubs for all ages and a fabulous spa located in its own private grounds.
- Quinta do Barranco da Estrada is an idyllic, 12 room, rural hideaway overlooking peaceful Santa Clara Lake. Canoeing and sailing are included in the price, plus you can walk, birdwatch, eat great food and generally chill out.
- Vila Vita Parc is a truly luxurious cliff top resort, with outstanding facilities for all the family. There's a kid's club for every age group, watersports galore, and a nine hole golf course to name but a few. There's also a private sandy beach, great spa and Michelin starred cuisine.
- Vivenda Miranda began life as the home of a 17th century noble family. It now offers tweny five bedrooms, a stunning pool and terrace with breathtaking views and direct access to the Porto de Mós beach, just outside Lagos.
The Best Places to Stay in Portugal for Families: Madeira
- Reid's Palace is the perfect place for an easy family holiday. There's plenty to do on the grounds, including an indoor play space and outdoor playground, multiple pools and supervised activities - including tennis lessons. And they'll help you organise activities for the whole family to do together.
- Quinta de Bela Vista offers a very family-friendly five star experience. There's beautiful grounds, a beautiful bay view, and plenty of facilities to keep everyone as busy as they want to be.
- Hotel da Vila's 15 rooms are bright and airy, but basic. It makes the grade here because its balcony rooms are great value - especially the views, the food is good and reasonably priced and you have access to the flashier sister hotel up the hill, the Estalagem da Ponta do Sol.
The Best Places to Stay in Portugal to Escape and Relax: Alentejo
- Monte de Fornalha is perfect if you're looking for a rustic retreat. Set in amongst the vineyards, this whitewashed farmhouse has been tastefully and traditionally decorated. Its three rooms and three suites, as well as a peaceful pool and terrace, offer the perfect place to relax.
- The Casa da Ermida de Santa Catarina is a top Hotel Guru choice. It's right on a beautiful lake in the spectacular Parque Natural de Serra de Sao, so a fair way off the beaten track, yet with plenty to keep you occupied, including wine tasting, nature and fabulous walking.
- Vhino verde accompanied by sardines and shellfish on the barbecue, Alentejo's cuisine is a pleasant surprise to many. Yes, it's rustic, and not fancy, but it's also fresh, local and original. Wine enthusiasts should book the Herdade da Malhadinha Nova. This restored farmhouse, and gourmet restaurant, is on a 450 hectare, family-owned wine estate. The ten rooms and suites are stylish and modern.