- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Book Now
Search the best hotels in Lisbon
Lisbon is a vibrant city of charm and colour, filled with melancholic fado music and the characteristic rattling of yellow trams as they trundle past decorative tiled façades. A capital since its conquest from the Moors in 1147, it suffered a devastating earthquake in 1755 which resulted in much of the centre being rebuilt and some of the best places to stay in Lisbon are found in this rebuilt section.
Built across seven hills, Lisbon is an easy city to explore, with plenty of treasures to discover. Take a stroll uphill from the river and you'll come upon grand Gothic cathedrals, niche little museums, pretty palaces and the odd monastery just as readily as you'll come upon charming cafes and restaurants.
It's also a relatively friendly place, with well used public baths and a whole district full of music venues, where you can hear everything from fado, to reggae to electronica.
This is also a city on the ocean, which keeps things balmy, and Lisbon is probably one of Europe's warmest Winter city break destinations. Summer is obviously very hot and busy and if you want to ensure a bed in one of the best places to stay in LIsbon, you'll need to plan well ahead.
On the highest of Lisbon's seven hills overlooking the Rio Tejo, sits the Castle of Saint George which rises from the old Moorish quarter of Alfama, a labyrinth of narrow cobbled streets. This is a perfect spot for watching the sunset, but also probably one of Lisbon's highlights.
The neighbourhood of Belém, at the mouth of the Tagus river, is another, packed with monuments and must-sees. This is where famous Portuguese explorers, such as Vasco de Gama, set sail from. It is also where the Jerónimos Monastery stands as a reminder of Portugal's power and wealth during the Age of Discovery.
Lisbon is also home to a number of interesting museums, such as the Gulbenkian, parks and gardens and monuments - including the twin bridge of the Golden Gate Bridge.
The Hotel Guru's pick of the best places to stay in Lisbon vary from excellent value B&Bs to top end luxury for those with deep pockets (for city centre apartments check out our online partner, booking.com)!
For a city break
- Heritage Av Liberdade, on one of Lisbon's most famous streets, is the award winning brain child of architect Câncio Martins, renowned for the Buddha Bar in Paris and Strictly Hush in London.
- Hotel Lisboa Plaza has traditional, old world charm coupled with a very personal atmosphere. The bar and fabulous chill-out terrace emphasise the relaxed ambience. The Hotel Lisboa Plaza has a long list of devotees who wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else, so you might want to book well ahead!
- The Internacional Design Hotel is a boutique hotel with contemporary designs and modernist furnishings. You're a few minutes from the Bairro Alto, but it's still an urban oasis.
- Memmo Alfama with clean lines and contemporary colours offering great rooftop and terrace views of the city and the river Tagus. Minutes away from trendy Chiado and bohemian Bairro Alto.
- Bairro Alto Hotel, a charming hotel residing in Lisbon's arty district on a lovely town square, close to all the sights and designer shopping. Don't miss the fabulous rooftop bar for unmissable views.
- Casa das Janelas com Vista, a cosy & friendly B & B in Bairro Alto, a great location close to bars and restaurants with good access to the sights. Kids will enjoy the breakfasts, home from home with board games to hand.
- Situated near to the Castle of St George is Casa Balthazar, take a suite with a fully equipped kitchen, with fabulous view of the castle and well located in the historical centre.
- Martinhal Chiado, a cool contemporary townhouse in a central location complete with kid's club and designed with families in mind.
- Hotel Avenida, traditional old style Lisbon with plush furnishings, suites are ideal for a family stay and the location is good for Bairro Alto and Chaido, the heartbeat districts of Lisbon.
- Palacio Belmonte, the luxury end of B & B in an historic nobleman's house in a good location with fabulous sea views. Suites are great for families providing lots of space and comfort.
- Pousada de Lisboa, a great central location with the combination of elegance and contemporary design. Excellent cuisine and all the creature comforts of crisp linen and spacious rooms.
- Pestana Palace, a simply gorgeous 19th century palace, which oozes extravagance, magnificent gardens, two gorgeous pools and lavish suites adorned with opulent fabrics.
- Four Seasons Hotel Ritz. Glamour goes with the name, plus a fabulous indoor pool and rooftop running track complimented by the best spa in the city. Close to St George's Castle and Lisbon's Eduardo VII Park.
- Lapa Palace, a film star setting with the most wonderful views of the river Tagus. This historic pink palace sits in the quiet residential area of Lisbon and is the ultimate in 5 star luxury.
Pre or Post Cruise Stop
- Internacional Design Hotel, a unique experience where design and style hold court. If exploring Lisbon is your aim then this is a great location for Bairro Alto, Chiado, St George's Castle and the Design Museum.
- As Janelas Verdes
- Santiago de Alfama
- Palacia Belmonte
For a special occasion
- Book a room at the Solar do Castelo, and you will have bagged the only accommodation within the Castle walls - this unique hotel manages to effortlessly blend the old and new - exposed stone walls are complemented by new pale wood and rich fabrics.
- The only Art Deco hotel in Lisbon, the Hotel Britania has been beautifully restored and retains many period features. Bedrooms are large, and a library and intimate bar on the ground floor give the place a distinctly private club feel.
- The Lapa Palace is a 19th century private palace, converted into a hundred room hotel by the Orient Express Group. Surrounded by tropical gardens, behind which you can see the sea, this is a sumptuous, almost royal spot, with a world renowned restaurant, Cipriani.
- Close to the Tagus river you'll find As Janelas Verdes, a charming hotel created from an 18th century palace. It brims with old world tradition, and offers a top floor library with superb views, and the unusual treat in Lisbon of a leafy interior courtyard.
- The Hotel Avenida Palace is a five star taste of old world Lisbon, with luxurious fabrics and furnishings and elegant facilities.
- Palacio Belmonte is a very special ten room B&B in Lisbon's medieval quarter. Converted from a nobleman's palace, this property is historic, romantic, elegant and has fantastic sea views.
For those on a budget
- York House Hotel is a converted 17th Century convent built around a beautiful stone courtyard - now also the breakfast cafe. Expect old world charm with modern comforts, and its 32 rooms start from £78 per night.
- The Sky Lofts, a great value base located near designer shopping on the Ave Da Liberdade and the restaurants and bars of Bairro Alto. Comfortable and spacious loft rooms with a useful shared kitchen.
- Casa das Janelas com Vista
For a city centre apartment
- For a self catering option, we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com, where you'll find a wide range from chic penthouse apartments, to budget studios.
Flight times from southern UK airports take up to 2hrs 10minutes, with Edinburgh taking 3hrs 10 mins. Once you arrive at Lisbon Portela (LS) there is a metro line which will take you straight to the centre and around LIsbon, taxis are also amazingly good value and there is a good bus service. All the usual car hire firms can be found in the central terminal. The best time of year to visit is spring and Autumn, August temperatures reach 28°C with December and January dropping to 10 °C. Easter celebrates Mardi Gras in style with huge street party Fiestas in June.
Taxis seems amazingly good value, metro is used a lot.
Still not sure which hotel to book?
Best Hotels in Lisbon
The Sky Lofts 10 rooms from $43Lisbon
A charming, low-cost loft hotel near Lisbon's city centre. The rooms are comfortable and spacious with simple furnishings and original loft roofs. The surrounding area is home to trendy art galleries and lively bars and restaurants. A great cost-effective option for Lisbon.Groups - Trendy location overlooking Eduardo VII Park, loft style rooms and shared kitchen make it perfect for a group holiday.Sights nearby - Visit Lisbons historic old town via a ride on the iconic Glória Funicular.
Hotel Convento do Salvador 43 rooms from $109Lisbon (2 B 1100-465 Lisboa Santa Maria Maior)
A trendy contemporary hotel in the historic Alfama district. The minimalist white washed rooms draw the eye to the stunning sea views. Unwind in the expansive lounge and slick bar, decorated with large pieces of pop-art. Walking distance to many of the cities best attractions. A chic choice.City Style - A funky hotel littered with modern art and complete with slick bar amd gorgeous city and sea views.Local exploring - Nestled in the historic neighbourhood of Alfama, within striking distance of all the main sights.Local markets - Scour the stalls of the Feira da Ladra, open every Tuesday and Saturday.Sights nearby - Marvel at the studded facade of Casa dos Bicos.
York House Hotel 32 rooms from $113Lisbon
A modern recreation of 17th century architecture and style. This former convent has beautiful light airy rooms and a stone breakfast courtyard to soak in the atmosphere. Old-world aristocratic charm with modern comforts - the perfect place to experience the essence of a bygone Lisbon.Sights nearby - Close to the Ancient Art National Museum and Lapa districtRecommended by - I Escape, Frommers
Casa das Janelas com vista 12 rooms from $114Lisbon
A chic bed and breakfast offering unique individually-decorated rooms, some with balconies and views of the river. A warm sitting room is stylishly furnished with modern design and antiques. Located in a quiet street in a historic neighbourhood of Lisbon - a good base for exploring the city.City Style - Chic interiors, luxurious beds and fantastic local wines all within a few minutes walk of Lisbon's hotspots!Local exploring - Ideally located in Bairro Alto with easy train connectivity to other parts of the city.Families - The hotel provides board games, a library and a special kids menu for breakfast.Local markets - The Ribeira Riverside Market has many kiosks, restaurants, cocktail bars and ice-cream parlours.Recommended by - Tablet
Internacional Design Hotel 55 rooms from $118Lisbon
This truly boutique hotel provides a really unique city experience. Its contemporary designs with their modernist furnishings, aromas, touches, and sounds create a vivid wonderland. An urban oasis.City Style - Meticulous in its design and character makes for a really unique city experienceSights nearby - A few minutes from the Bairro Alto, Chiado and Saint George CastleRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade 171 rooms from $131Lisbon
Extremely well located on the Avenida da Liberdade. Beautiful contemporary design - red and gold features contrasting with marble sculptures, dark wood and brown tones. This luxury hotel with all its comforts is the perfect place to discover the city from.Downtown - Very central location on the AvenidaSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers
Hotel Lisboa Plaza 94 rooms from $135Lisbon
Charming traditional-style hotel in the historic centre of Lisbon. Old world charm, elegant sun-flooded rooms, and perfect chill-out terrace. Sit beside the fire with a book borrowed from the private library. A home from home with a warm and family-friendly atmosphere.Exclusive offerSights nearby - The hotel is just around the corner from Lisbon's National Monument, Santo António Church.Great walks - One metro stop will bring you to Parque Eduardo VII, the largest park in central Lisbon.Designer - Designer interiors by famed decorator Graca Viterbo.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Johansens
Lisboa Carmo Hotel, Lisbon 45 rooms from $169Lisbon
Delightful low-key hotel with sky blue stucco facade situated in the hilltop, historic neighbourhood of Chiado. It was in Carmo Square where decades of dictatorship finally ended in 1974. Simple, elegant bedrooms with views over the Old Town and the Tagus river. Charming old-fashioned restaurant.Suites - Room 503 on the top floor is the most spacious with a free standing bath and views of St George's CastleHistoric - The district of Chaido goes back to Roman times and houses two beautiful Baroque churches.Restaurant - The Maria do Carmo bistro serves tapas and Portuguese specaiities with tables outisdeDesigner Shopping - A short walk downhill to the smart shopping area of Liberdade
Hotel Avenida Palace 82 rooms from $168Lisbon
A taste of old world Lisbon in this classical Five Star hotel. Elegant rooms and suites have luxurious fabrics and wallpapers. Fitness centre, business facilities and a lovely lobby. A great choice for families, couples and business visitors.Families - A great central location with large suites are perfect for families.Sights nearby - Centre of town. Close to both Bairro Alto and Chaido districts.City Style - This is city with luxury and traditional style.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Casa Balthazar 11 rooms from $171Lisbon (R. do Duque 22)
Right in the heart of the historical centre of Lisbon, this boutique hotel offers luxurious self catering rooms and suites. Rooms are contemporary style with modern kitchenettes in place. The Buenos Aires restaurant serves traditional cuisine and the pool has a jacuzzi. Lovely views too.Local exploring - Located in the centre of the Old Town, the hotel is close by to Rossio train station, many restaurants, nightlife and shopsFamilies - Suite with castle views are perfect for families and feature a fully equipped kitchenLocal markets - The Fiera da Ladra, Avenida da Liberdade and Bairro Alto all located within walking distance to the hotelSights nearby - Must visit the impressive Convento do Carmo, a 2 minute walk away
Memmo Alfama 42 rooms from $195Lisbon
A gorgeous boutique hotel in the Old Town with views out to sea and over the Tagus River. Bright white and cream rooms and suites have wooden floors, clean lines, and private balconies. Lovely library and fantastic roof top wine bar and pool area.City Style - Clean lines and bright colours with a great vibe in the rooftop winebar, with great city views.Views - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Santa Justa Elevator and Rossio Square.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Fodors
As Janelas Verdes 29 rooms from $214Lisbon
A charming hotel housed in an 18th Century private palace, overlooking the river. The decor oozes old world character and charm with wood-paneled walls, ornate armchairs, Bordalo Pinheiro cartoons and objects d'art. Classically styled rooms with fantastic views, leafy patio and rooftop library.Exclusive offer - City breakCity Style - this aristocratic townhouse breaths artistic elegance with complimentary Port in the library and objets d’art at every turn.Writing a novel - Once the home of the Portuguese novelist Eça de Queirós, the hotel retains a refined literary air.Full of character - The decor honors the 18th C Palace style and creates a relaxed ambience.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Johansens, Sawdays, Fodors
Hotel Britania 33 rooms from $222Lisbon
Lisbon’s only Art Deco hotel is a beautifully restored heritage townhouse in the heart of the city. The spacious rooms feature cork and parquet floors, retro fixtures and marble bathrooms. Enjoy sparkling Portuguese wine at breakfast before exploring the area. A truly unique stay.Exclusive offer - Welcome drinkCity Style - A magnficant testimony to the art-deco brilliance of the 1940s, lovingly restored and centrally situated.Great walks - Set out from the hotel and wander this historic city centre, with interesting sights around every bend.Lively - Hip and happening.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Frommers, Johansens, Sawdays
Santiago de Alfama 19 rooms from $223Lisbon
A meticulously crafted boutique hotel that seamlessly combines old and new. Constructed from Roman-era ruins using the original ancient blueprint. Vibrant, hand-picked interior design by owner Heleen Uitenbroek. Extensive breakfast menu served by some of the friendliest staff in Lisbon.City Style - An unmissable stylish and sophisticated converted palace, nestled in the historic streets of Alfama.Romantic Break - With luxurious suites and a sleek bar- it's perfect for an indulgent, romantic weekend in Lisbon.Great walks - A great starting point for a city walk through the historic old town of Lisbon.Sights nearby - Five minutes walk from Santiago Church and Lisbon Cathedral.Recommended by - I Escape, Johansens
Solar do Castelo 20 rooms from $223Lisbon
A unique historical setting for 14 individually decorated contemporary bedrooms. The old blends with the new - stone walls, pale woods, heavy bricks, all the mod cons. Charming inner courtyard and garden with Medieval remains. The only hotel within St. George's Castle walls.Exclusive offer - Welcome drinkValue chic - A wonderfully enchanting stay, with peacocks dancing on the old castle walls and the gentle tinkle of the courtyard fountain.Local exploring - Tucked in the walls of the medieval San Jorge castle, with a rabbit warren of winding cobbled streets to explore.Great walks - Explore the pedestrians-only fortress, the winding streets are lined with cool shops, boutiques and cafes.Sights nearby - Within the walls of St. Jorge's Castle and just a few minutes walk to the waterside Jeronimo's monastery.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Johansens, Sawdays, Fodors
Heritage Av Liberdade 42 rooms from $226Lisbon
An award-winning hotel from the Heritage stable with a stunning 18th century blue facade. Luxurious bedrooms with interiors by Miguel Cancio Martins in creams and beige, feature huge bathrooms and plenty of natural light. An urban oasis in classic style.Exclusive offer - Welcome drinkCity Style - You can't beat the winning cobination of 18th-century palace facade and stunning modern Miguel Câncio Martins interior design.Sights nearby - Walking distance from the São Jorge Moorish Castle, this hilltop wonder is a must see for any visitor to the city.Designer - By Miguel Câncio Martins.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Frommers, Johansens
Solar dos Mouros 10 rooms from $285Lisbon
Extremely attractive B&B with breathtaking views from the castle rampart over the city and the river. Colourfully decorated with walls covered in African art work. A perfect getaway for a weekend exploring.Views - Breathtaking views of the city and riverSights nearby - 5 minutes walk from the Old Town and just down the road from the São Jorge castle.Recommended by - I Escape, Frommers
Bairro Alto Hotel 55 rooms from $251Lisbon (Bairro Alto)
This is Lisbon’s first contemporary boutique hotel with minimalist interiors and a warm ambience. Rooms have white washed walls, frescoes of birds and wooden floors. Sweeping views of Lisbon and the Tagus River from the roof terrace make this a stylish city break.City Style - A charming hotel in Lisbon's arty district, with classic chic decor, hand painted frescoes and amazing rooftop bar.Sights nearby - Right in the centre of town on Lisbon's main square Praça Luís de Camões, within walking distance of the castle.Great walks - The hotel offers two hour free English-speaking walking tours of the hip neighbourhood.Views - Panoramic views of Lisbon and the Tagus River.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Pestana Palace 190 rooms from $257Lisbon
An opulent extravaganza of stained glass, parquet floors, stucco work and painted rococo ceilings in this 19th Century Palace. Rooms ooze classical elegance and romance with views of the Tagus River from private balconies. Enjoy the fantastic fine dining cuisine, sleek bar, pool and spa.Total relaxation - Indulge in a truly regal stay- lavish suites filled with fine antiques and rich fabrics, lush gardens and wonderful food.Sights nearby - The fascinating Hieronymites Monastery is just two minutes down the road, trace the history of the Order of Saint Jerome.Great walks - The sprawling sub tropical gardens are well worth exploring, they have even been declared a National Monument.Swimming Pool - Two lovely pools.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Palacio Belmonte 10 rooms from $335Lisbon
Very special B&B in Lisbon's medieval quarter with fantastic sea views. A nobleman's palace; historic, elegant, utterly romantic. Enormous family rooms and suites have original tiling, oil paintings, large marble bathrooms and private balconies. A treat for romantics and families alike.Romantic Break - This medieval quarter definitely gives a romantic air with beautiful sea views and elegant rooms.Families - Large suites give plenty of space for families, great views and close to main sights.Views - Fantastic sea views from balconies and terraces.Chic - A favourite with Christian Laboutin.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Pousada de LIsboa 90 rooms from $309Lisbon (Santa Maria Maior)
An impressive Pousada boasting a fabulous central location. Elegant contemporary rooms feature chandeliers, dark polished parquet flooring and crisp white linens. Dine on excellent cuisine in the atmospheric restaurant complete with vaulted ceiling. A superb base for city exploring.City Style - Housed in an opulent 18th-century sunflower-yellow Pombaline building, bursting with character, style and indulgent decadence.Local exploring - Well posisitioned within walking distance to many of the cities' major attractions.Full of character - Elegant decor in the best of traditional style, chandeliers add glamour maintaining the palacial grandeur.Sights nearby - Visit the ancient cathedral or the Church of St Anthony just a short walk from the hotel.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
Martinhal Chiado 37 rooms from $343Lisbon
A stylish hotel, in the heart of Lisbon, perfect for family centred fun. Set in beautiful townhouse, the suites are superbly designed maximising space, light and comfort. A well equipped kids club will have the kids distracted for hours, whilst the parents explore the city.Families - The spacious self-catering apartmenets are designed with families in mind, as is the funky kids club!City Style - A cool contemporary hotel, with sleek interiors and bold design- right in the heart of Lisbon.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Jeronimos Monastery.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Lapa Palace 109 rooms from $366Lisbon
A stunning 19th Century Palace, turned luxurious hotel, in Lisbon's most exclusive neighborhood. Nestled in a beautiful sub-tropical garden with fantastic views of the Tagus River. Sumptuous rooms with antique furnishings, silks and drapes. Ristorante Hotel Cipriani is sure to draw a crowd.City Style - Crowning jewel on the city's most exclusive hilltop, opulent interiors of gold muslin curtains & hand-carved Indian headboards.Sights nearby - Wander through one of Lisbons most exclusive neighbourhoods and check out the palaces, embassies and historic buildings.Great walks - Explore the beautiful sprawling gardens, full of palm trees and a rainbow of flower bushes.Swimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor poolRecommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Fodors
Four Seasons Hotel Ritz 282 rooms from $554Lisbon
This city landmark offers accommodation of the very highest standard. Bask in the twinkling interiors of marbles, chandeliers and ceiling-to-floor windows. Sumptuous bedrooms with fantastic views exude luxury. Enjoy the great restaurant, unrivaled spa and leafy gardens.City Style - The most luxorious stay in Lisbon, commanding spectacular views, chandeliers, gilded furniture and top notch spa.Sights nearby - A must is the nearby St. George's Moorish Castle, full of history and architectural wonder.Great walks - Explore Lisbon's Eduardo VII Park, a fragrant oasis of calm.Swimming Pool - Indoor poolRecommended by - Frommers, Kiwi Collection