- ✓ Check Prices
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best hotels for views on the Amalfi Coast
The drive along the Amalfi coastline is, arguably, one of the world’s finest road trips. And one of its scariest. The corniche road hugs vertiginous limestone cliffs which seem to plunge from the skies into sapphire-blue seas. You catch glimpses of beaches, rocky coves, huddles of rooftops and wonder how on earth anyone can get down to them. The drive is not for the faint-hearted; there are plenty of hairpin bends and other drivers who seem far too nonchalant. So the best way to enjoy the sights is to base yourself in one of the best hotels for views on the Amalfi coast.
You can opt for somewhere bustling yet glamorous such as Positano where sugar-almond-coloured buildings cascade to the sea. Or lovely Amalfi with its Duomo, piazza and seafront. Or somewhere smaller, such as Praiano or Conca dei Marini. Or perch yourself high above everyone else in ravishing Ravello.
Best hotels for views on the Amalfi Coast
For designer chic
- Rooms at the Convento di Amalfi are modern, minimalist and stylish in neutral shades, some with private terraces. Set above Amalfi town, the hotel has spectacular views as well as an infinity pool and a spa.
- With its white-on-white bedrooms, sleek lines and bold, modern art, Casa Angelina, in Praiano, will tick all the right boxes for the design conscious. All rooms and suites have private terraces and stunning sea views. Plus there’s a pool and boat exclusively for guests. It's honeymoon heaven!
For unbridled luxury
- For sheer, unadulterated luxury, combined with superb, understated style and impeccable service, you cannot fault Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa, above Conca dei Marini. The former convent - in a peerless clifftop position - has been converted into just 20 bedrooms, each with stunning views. With a top-notch spa, this is a place for romance, relaxation and serious pampering.
- Surrounded by its famous, lush gardens, and on a little hilltop of its own, Ravello’s Villa Cimbrone is both romantic and sophisticated. Formerly a private villa, rooms are grand with vaulted ceilings, frescoes, tiled floors and antiques. There’s also a pool and, of course, those views!
- The chief joy of Ravello’s Villa Maria - and why guests return again and again - is its hidden dining terrace which has, possibly, one of the finest restaurant views of the coast; unfolding headlands of cliffs dropping down to the sea. Much of the food comes from the hotel’s garden while rooms are beautifully traditional and relaxing.
- Also in Ravello, and with old-school luxuries - marble floors, antiques, tapestries and Vietri tiling - Palazzo Avino has a Michelin-starred restaurant. Bedrooms have private terraces, plus there are lovely gardens and a spa, as well, of course, as glorious views.
For a great value view!
- Breakfasting on your private, bougainvillea-covered terrace at Villa Rosa, in Positano, will be a lengthy affair; you’ll be unable to drag yourself away from the mesmerising views. Rooms are charming in typical Mediterranean-style architecture of arches, domed ceilings crisp white walls and sea-blue-tiled floors.
- From its roadside entrance, The Belvedere, above Conca dei Marini, looks rather ordinary but, once inside, you step into a different world. With peerless views over the Amalfi coast, steps leading to a private beach, bedrooms of old-fashioned Italian charm and a dining terrace made for lingering, sunset meals, it will seduce you. Family-owned and with a pool, too.
Best romantic Amalfi coast hotels for views
- Set high above Positano, Villa Franca enjoys enviable views over both the town, tumbling below, and the sea. Rooms are airy and romantic in creams and whites with beautiful traditional, tiled decorations. A lovely terrace has a pool designed to make the most of the stunning views.
The whole of this stretch of Italian coast is mesmerising, but to get the top spots, use our guide to the best hotels for views on the Amalfi Coast to help to plan your trip. Althernatively you can widen the net and take a look at all our Amalfi Coast recommendations, or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Convento di Amalfi 36 rooms from $205Amalfi
Beautiful former convent set in the rock face just above the town of Amalfi. Fabulous views of the town and sea from the terraces and the swimming pool. Chic rooms and suites with vaulted ceilings and neutral hues. Spa, restaurant and bar. Stylish minimalism at its best.HoneymoonsRomantic BreakSights nearby - 10 minute walk down hill to Amalfi. Positano is 20 mins by car.Views - Spectacular views of the Amalfi coastline
Casa Angelina 39 rooms from $205Praiano
A very cool designer hotel set in the cliff face. Sleekly minimalist with white washed walls, exposed stone work, and clean lines. Rooms, suites, and separate cottages have private sea-facing balconies. Fantastic spa, restaurant and private beach. Ideal for honeymooners.Hotel boats for hire - Private skippered boat for guests.HoneymoonsLuxuryRomantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Monastero Santa Rosa Hotel & Spa 20 rooms from $391Conca dei Marini
A monastery renovated with romance and elegance. Its celestial views from its perch on a cliff top are to die for. The hotel captures the essence of la dolce vita with its location, understated but immaculate style, and its incredible spa facilities. A romantic destination.Views - Great views from hotelLuxuryOutstanding locationTotal relaxation
Villa Cimbrone 19 rooms from $324Ravello (Ravello, Salernes (Campania))
A regal and romantic complex with out of this world views. The villa has beautifully manicured botanical gardens that sprawl towards the cliff face. Bedrooms ooze understated elegance, and there's a fantastic Michelin starred Mediterranean restaurant. Renowned as the ultimate wedding destination.Writing a novel - Join the list of illustrious authors who have gained inspiration here- E M Forster, T S Eliot, Virginia Woolf, D H Lawrence...Honeymoons - Perched on a sheer-sided cliff high above the Amalfi coast, with fragrant rose gardens, and romantic poolside dining.Great walks - Wander hand in hand through the stunnig gardens, the best time is early morning before they open to the public.Sailing - Take a boat up the coastline or to glamorous Capri, the perfect way to explore the coast.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors
Villa Maria 23 rooms from $189Ravello
An oasis of peace with spectacular views. The piece de resistance is the glorious dining terrace with vistas of the mountains sweeping down to a glittering sea. Fantastic food and cookery lessons using the same home-grown produce. A delightful spot for foodies and romantics.Total relaxation - An elegant coastal property with magnificent seaviews, excellent food and complete tranquility.Cooking classes - Cooking classes led by a famous professor of historical gastronomy.Sailing - Pack a picnic, rent a boat and explore the Amalfi Coast.Full of character
Palazzo Avino 43 rooms from $453Ravello
Film star luxury meets 1930s Italian glamour in classical Ravello. Spectacularly perched on the cliffs overlooking fishing villages below. Michelin star restaurant, stunning suites, sprawling terraces and lounge areas. Five Star in every aspect.Romantic Break - A perfect getaway for two, enjoy the suave suites with a glorious vantage point over the Med and pampering service.Foodies - Boasting a two-Michelin-star restaurant overlooking the sea and the more relaxed Terrazza Belvedere.Great walks - Leisurely strolls or more testing mountain trials, all come with stunning views.Sailing - Take a boat up the Amalfi Coast or to the glamourous island of Capri.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Tablet, Fodors
Villa Rosa 12 rooms from $125Positano
A delightful villa featuring bougainvillea covered terraces, with unbeatable views of the Mediterranean. Large delightfully decorated bedrooms in white and pastels, with aquamarine tiled floors. Enormous private balconies make the perfect place for breakfast. An utterly charming spot.Total relaxation - A serene 150 year old villa, with comfortable and elegant rooms, a peaceful garden, sunny terrace and proximity to the beach.Sights nearby - Spend a day exploring Pompeii, a must see.Sailing - Take a boat trip up the Amalfi coast.Views - Great views from hotel
The Belvedere 30 rooms from $136Conca dei Marini
Outwardly unassuming, this cliff top hotel will surprise with its magnificent views over the Amalfi coast, secluded private beach down steep steps, and old fashioned charm. A holiday destination for serious lazing in the sun in spectacular surroundings.Views - Spectacular views out to see and down the Amalfi coast.Coastal - Set on a cliff top.Total relaxationSwimming Pool - Seawater Pool
Villa Franca 37 rooms from $292Positano
Truly sublime views of Positano and beyond from this 5* hotel's hilltop perch. Romantic rooms in chic whites and creams with tiled mosaics and wonderful sea views from private balconies. The roof top terrace and swimming pool are equally magnificent. A great choice for romantics.Hideaway - A peaceful hilltop property, away from the crowds of the coastal strip, with clean cut suites and wrought iron balconies.Cooking classes - Take a master class in traditional cuisine with the hotel chef.Sailing - Experience the Amalfi coast in style on a speedboat.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the UNESCO Heritage Site Pompeii.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels