- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
The Best Hotels in the Heart of Old Rome
Old Rome, the Centro Storico, or the Historic City of Rome, was the former city centre and where you’ll find many of Rome’s ancient treasures, including the Pantheon, the Colosseum, the Spanish Steps and the Forum. This is also a great place for old piazzas filled with small shops and centuries-old architecture, and of course where you’ll find the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome.
You’ll find the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome within the Aurelian walls, to the left of the Tiber river. There are 22 different districts to choose from, from the Campo Marzio, which is where you’ll find the Spanish Steps and the ‘Water Clock’ to the Trevi, which has a number of great fountains and palaces, to the Pigna, which is where you’ll find the Pantheon and the Piazza Venezia and the Celio which is where you’ll find the Colosseum, several basilicas and the Arch of Constantine.
Each district has its own treasures, but it’s feasible to walk between all of them. As well as finding some incredibly historic views in the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome, you’re also surrounded by a wealth of cafes and restaurants, littering the architecturally magnificent squares and piazzas.
The Best Hotels in the Heart of Old Rome
For something special
- The Piazza di Spagna 9 is a beautifully designed mansion in the heart of Rome with just six, individually decorated rooms, a Turkish steam bath and its own contemporary art gallery.
- The Portrait Suites, in the fashion district, are a collection of 11 luxurious, boutique style suites with haute couture furniture, kitchenettes, marble bathrooms and private terraces.
- Or you might try the Palazzo Manfredi, with just 16 luxurious rooms, suites and apartments, many of which actually have views onto the Colosseum and Forum, as well as an excellent rooftop restaurant with amazing views.
For a city break
- The Capo d'Africa is a sleek, retro, mid-sized hotel with a gorgeous roof terrace overlooking the Colosseum and the bell tower, a gym, bar and a restaurant which serves great pasta.
- Along the same vein is Forty Seven, a contemporary boutique hotel, also with a fantastic roof terrace restaurant, and plush bedrooms, some with private terraces.
- Or you might try the Locanda Cairoli, a chic, comfortable hotel with a charming garden and the air of a private home.
For history buffs
- The Teatro di Pompeo is right on the site of Pompey’s Theatre, steps from where Caesar met his end, and while the current building dates from the 16th Century, it’s still historic as well as simple and friendly.
- Or the Hotel Celio, directly opposite the Colosseum with 19 exquisite rooms, with features like mosaic floors, frescoes, trompe-l'œil paintings and all the mod, cons..
- Crossing Condotti offers an oasis of privacy and luxury, with just six rooms and decor which is a happy marriage between nicely chosen Baroque antiques and a modern canvas.
- Or, if you want the ultimate in romantic luxury, try La Residenza Napoleone, two incredibly opulent apartments dripping in old world romance, with huge oils, taffeta silks and beautiful antiques. They also offer an in-house cook.
- The Due Torri is surprisingly peaceful, considering its central location, and offers 26 elegant rooms and four family apartments, in a building which was once home to Cardinals, Bishops and famous noble families.
- Margutta 54 is a bit different, a sleek collection of six suites with all the mod. cons. which can cater to all types of travellers.
- Or you might also try Mario de Fiori 37, another slick set of four self catering suites and apartments,
- or The Inn at The Roman Forum, a beautiful guesthouse with 14 charmingly decorated bedrooms, suites and family rooms and a lovely rooftop terrace, positioned right between the Colosseum and the Roman Forum.
- The Eden is a large and luxurious, five star property with traditional decor and traditional discretion in a great spot that you can really appreciate when dining in the spectacular roof terrace restaurant.
- Or you might try the Hotel de Russie, which has a lovely courtyard and garden, and light, airy rooms, and a spa and pool - despite being in the centre of town.
For great value
- Casa Howard is a stylish, intimate, and reasonably priced home from home, decorated with beautiful objects, art and antiques, and there’s a Turkish hammam.
- At around £80 per night the Locarno is in a similar price bracket, and is a 1920s era hotel with a lively bar and understated sophistication.
- Or you might try the Hotel de Monti, a bright, modern B&B with seven comfortable rooms well located between the main train station and the Colosseum, with a room rate which starts from £53 per night.
If you haven’t found your ideal property on our Guru’s list of the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome, you could:
- expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome,
- refine your list to great hotels near the Colosseum,
- consider our Guru’s list of the best hotels near the Vatican,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Hotel Valadier 67 rooms from $121Rome
Classic hotel with modern comforts next to Piazza del Popolo and close to the Spanish Steps & Villa Borghese. Three restaurants and a piano bar. The magnificent roof terrace has wonderful views of Rome. Cool bar and classy restaurant Hi-Res with gourmet cuisine. Great location for a short stay.Sights nearby - The Vatican City and Colosseum are three kilometres away but it's a pleasant walk or a short taxi rideBicycles available - The hotel has its own bicycles available for guestsGood wine list - Four hundred different wine labelsViews - Great views from hotel
Eden 121 rooms from $386Rome
A five-star luxury hotel in one of Rome's most exclusive areas. Traditionally furnished rooms exude opulence and old world style with bold fabrics, antiqued furnishings and spectacular views of the city. Unwind in the Piano bar or soak up the skyline in the fine dining rooftop restaurant. Spoiling.Romantic Break - The opulent and enourmous suites are ideal for a couples hideaway, not to mention the romantic rooftop resturant.Local exploring - Perfectly located for exploing the sights of Rome, close enough to travel by foot or bicycle.Great walks - Visit nearby Borghese Gardens for lovely walking gardens, museums and historic buildings.Sights nearby - Close to the Spanish Steps, one of Rome's most famous sights.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Babuino 181 24 rooms from $171Rome
Sleek boutique suites surrounded by designer shopping and next to the Spanish Steps. More private apartment than hotel room. Plush interiors and modern gadgetry. Add to that a fabulous breakfast terrace on the roof and you have a very upmarket and private Roman spot.Designer Shopping - Situated on Rome's most exclusive streetCity StyleRomantic BreakSights nearby - In the heart of the Spanish Steps quarterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Due Torri 26 rooms from $125Rome
A charming historical hotel just a few steps from Piazza Navona and the Vatican. Surprisingly quiet for its central location, the elegant rooms offer comfortable beds and antique furniture. A true gem with plenty of traditional charm.Local exploring - Location is perfect for those wishing to emerce themsevles in Rome and explore like a local.Historic - Previously the building housed Cardinals, Bishops, and famous noble Roman famillies.Families - Four small apartments are ideal for accommodating families.Great walks - Right in the historic heart of Rome, wander the streets and get a feel for the Eternal City.
Mario de Fiori 37 4 rooms from $295Rome
Gloriously sleek and private self-catering rooms and suites, excellently located near the Spanish steps, equipped with every modern gadget. Bedrooms and suites have their own living areas. Ideal for couples, families, or groups.Sights nearby - Within spitting distance of the Spanish StepsFamiliesRomantic BreakCity StyleRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Casa Howard 5 rooms from $103Rome
A stylish homely guesthouse in the heart of Rome. Rooms are filled with beautiful objects, art works and antiques. This is an intimate and romantic guesthouse ideal for families and groups. Enjoy the Turkish Hammam, proximity to landmarks such as the Spanish Steps and breakfast in bed.Exclusive offer - Save 20%Local exploring - Right in the centre of the city, a perfect launch pad for exploring this vibrant ancient capital.Families - Ideal for all the family to base themselves. Offers board games and a DVD library.Cooking classes - The Concierge Service team are at your beck and call to organise such activities.Sights nearby - A stone's throw from the iconic Trevi and Spanish Steps.Recommended by - I Escape
Crossing Condotti 5 rooms from $230Rome
Luxury oasis near the Spanish Steps that marries modern décor with well-chosen baroque antiques. Five intimate rooms and one junior suite with original beamed ceilings, polished wooden floors, enormous beds and tasteful artworks. Elegant and chic, with a very hospitable concierge.Sights nearby - Steps away from the Piazza di Spagna in the centre of RomeFour poster beds - For romantics.
Locarno 83 rooms from $240Rome
A 1920s Art Nouveau styled hotel oozing character and offering prime positioning. Spacious, beautifully designed rooms with mod-cons and excellent business facilities. The lively bar attracts a local and fun crowd. Perfect for a romantic weekend.Romantic Break - Chic decor, central location and romantic rooftop bar make this an ideal getaway for two!Local exploring - Use the free hotel bikes to explore the historic city centre like a local.Great walks - Just five minutes away you'll find Villa Borghese, the third largest public park in Rome.Sights nearby - Check out the iconic Piazza del Popolo, located just a few minutes from the hotel.
La Residenza Napoleone 2 rooms from $762Rome
Incredibly opulent apartment suites drenched in old world Italian romance. Huge oil paintings, taffeta silks, lavish beds, Baroque furniture, antique lighting and romantic pastels covering the walls. Each suite has a kitchenette, private terrace, in-house cook and access to a concierge service.OpulentRomantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.LuxuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape
Hotel de Russie 122 rooms from $429Rome
Beautiful contemporary Roman hotel overlooking the Piazza del Popolo. Plush rooms are light and airy, many of them feature courtyard garden views. Luxury with style, great food and a spa and pool. A grown up city escape.Garden - Stunning terraced gardens where you can dine during the summer months.Restaurant - Recommended.Spa - Featuring hydropool and Turkish steam bath.Sights nearby - 10 minutes walk from The Spanish Steps.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Piazza di Spagna 9 6 rooms from $316Rome
Located in the heart of Rome, this designer Mansion is uniquely decorated and boasts its very own contemporary art gallery. There are six individually decorated guest rooms and a Turkish steam bath for relaxing after a day's sightseeing. The perfect blend of contemporary and classic Roman elegance.Sights nearby - Just next to The Spanish Steps and Fontana di TreviDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Four poster beds - For romantics.
Locanda Cairoli 15 rooms from $212Rome
A chic, comfortable hotel in central Rome. Clean, crisp rooms follow blue and yellow theme, with individual details such as floral arrangements and artworks. Close to the Piazza Navona, perfect for local exploring. Classic hotel with the air of a private home.Great walks - Wander the streets towards the Spanish Steps and explore the rabbit warren streets.Local markets - Explore the nearby Portico d’Ottavia, the Jewish quarter of Rome.Sights nearby - Close to Piazza Navona and The PantheonLively area - In the thick of the action.
Teatro di Pompeo 13 rooms from $177Rome
Simple and charming three star B&B on the site of Pompey Theatre, mere steps from where Caesar met his end. Tidy yet small rooms offer a great base for exploring the city after a complimentary breakfast. History buffs and culture vultures are in heaven.Local exploring - Built in the Theatre of Pompei, surrounded by ancient streets and lanes lined with hisotirc buildings.Value chic - A charming hotel, full of character and old world elegance, without the central Rome price tag!Great walks - Wander the cobblestone side streets of the Piazza Navona area and check out the tourist free artisanal shops.Local markets - Just up the road is the Campo dei Fiori, which every morning boasts a bustling marketplace.Recommended by - Frommers, Fodors
Capo d'Africa 65 rooms from $195Rome
Contemporary, sleek hotel in the shadow of the Colosseum in the centre of Rome. Gorgeous roof terrace over looking the city bell tower and Colosseum. Attentive staff. Bedrooms are retro and stylish. Excellent gym, cool Centrum bar and La Terrazza serves the best pasta. Near perfect urban hotel.Roof terrace - A roof terrace is pretty specatucualr in Rome, and this roof terrace is no exceptionSights nearby - Located in the heart of Imperial Rome, a stone's throw from the ColosseumTownhouse - The hotel was once a school built in the early 20th-centuryRestrictions on children - Adults only propertyRecommended by - Tablet
San Anselmo 34 rooms from $376Rome
Peaceful, romantic refuge in the smart hilltop Aventine district. Baroque flamboyance meets contemporary details to create a hotel with huge personality. Overlooking the Sant’Anselmo Church and within range of all main attractions, while staying off the beaten track.Romantic - Good for couples.Great walks - Take a stroll in The Circus Maximus, an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium and mass entertainment venue.Sights nearby - The property overlooks Sant’Anselmo ChurchLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
Hotel de Monti 7 rooms from $77Rome
Centrally located, contemporary B&B. Bright comfy rooms in whites and pastels. Excellent value for a weekend sightseeing in Rome.Value chicSights nearby - Central location between Rome train station and the ColosseumLocal markets - Good for local colour.
The Inn at The Roman Forum 14 rooms from $142Rome
A beautiful guesthouse near the Colosseum. Attractively decorated bedrooms, suites and family rooms in contemporary classic style, some with mahogany four poster beds, fireplaces, and private balconies. A lovely rooftop terrace is a bonus.Romantic BreakSights nearby - Located between the Roman forum and the Colosseum. Many other attractions in walking distance.Recommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Hotel Celio 19 rooms from $214Rome
An exquisite hotel opposite the Colosseum. Individual rooms feature mosaic floors, frescoes, trompe-l'œil paintings and all the modcons. Roof terrace and children's pool, and an impressive breakfast room. An unbeatable location in the city. A luxurious and romantic choice for city exploring.Romantic Break - Sunbathe on the roof terrace, stroll through the streets of Rome, enjoying St Peter's Square, the Vatican, Trevi fountainCity Style - Hotel is seconds from the Colosseum; all of Rome's mueseums, restaurants, shops and sights on the doorstepSights nearby - Basilica di San Clemente, Colosseum, and Arch of Constantine. Also nearby are Roman Forum and Basilica di San GiovanniLocal markets - Campo dei Fiori Market, Piazza Vittorio Market, Porta Portese Flea Market
Palazzo Manfredi 16 rooms from $332Rome
Five Star luxury next to the Colosseum and the Forum with exceptional views of both from an excellent roof top restaurant. Chic rooms, suites, and apartments in contemporary classic design. Fantastic food, unique views, and wellness too. Rome in style.Roof terrace - Wonderful roof terrace overlooking the ColosseumSights nearby - Next to the Colosseum and Roman Forum5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux, Tablet