Search the best hotels in Salta
Salta is a large city (though not so large as to feel overwhelming) in the Lerma valley of Northwestern Argentina. It is the capital of the province of the same name and the best places to stay in Salta are mainly centrally located and perfect bases for enjoying this most attractive and interesting of cities (though we have also found a couple of properties just outside town, which provide the perfect balance of city and country).
You feel a distinct change of culture on arriving in Salta — it's not known as Argentina's gateway city for nothing. The climate is sub-tropical, and it also marks the beginning of the former Aztec lands, a gateway to the Andean countries to the north — the Chilean and Bolivian borders are not far away across the foothills of the Andes. Consequently amongst the people you see here, there are many more indigenous cultures, alongside Italian, Spanish and Arab communities.
Salta itself is famous for its old colonial architecture and cosmopolitan vibe. There is a lovely mix of restaurants, bars and cafes — truly something for everyone here. This is a friendly place to be, a unique blend of Spanish and Gaucho and there is much to see and do. Start with the historic centre and admire the beautiful architecture, then take a break for some people watching and dulce de leche on the cafe-lined Plaza 9 de Julio. Finally jump in the cable car and admire the views from the top of San Bernado Hill — the vistas are epic over the city to the Andes beyond.
Salta is a busy year round destination and is many travellers' starting point for a further exploration of the region. For this reason the best places to stay in Salta can be very busy, so don't leave it till the last minute if you want to ensure a room in one of our recommended hotels.
The Best Places to Stay in Salta
For great value
- Solar de la Plaza is an elegant, neo classical building in the heart of the city. The rooms are stylish with sash windows, antique furniture and four poster beds. This is a great spot for exploring the city and excellent value.
- For a more luxurious feel, but still good value, the Villa Vicuna in the middle of town is chic and stylish with white-washed walls, cast iron beds and tiled floors. It's also a great place to unwind, with an outdoor pool and tranquil, sub-tropical gardens.
For boutique style
- KKala Boutique Hotel has a great vibe and is in a quiet location with lovely views from roof top terraces and balconies.The rooms are individual and contemporary with rich hues and parquet flooring. There's also a beautiful pool.
- Legado Mitico, a sister hotel to the one in Buenos Aires, is a small boutque hotel with a lot of charisma. The eleven rooms are elegant with a traditional feel. Charming staff will cater for your every whim.
- Design Suites Salta is a chic contemporary hotel in an excellent central location, with great views over the town and mountains beyond — not least from the rooftop pool. Choose a corner room for the best views through two walls of glass.
Out of town
- On the other side of the airport, on the edge of town, is the gorgeous House of Jasmines estancia. Set in wonderful lush gardens, you'll enjoy four poster beds, elegant interiors, stunning views of the mountains and a pool you will not want to leave.
- The nine room Finca Valentina is very close by and also boasts great views of the Andes, chic interiors, excellent food, a lovely pool and large gardens.
- Slightly further out (about 36 km to the south of the city) is Finca San Antonio, a traditional rural property overlooking a pretty lake. The charming traditional rooms are furnished with antiques. There is a wide range of activiities in the area, from horseriding to rafting to golf.
- Salta enjoys a subtropical highland climate, and is a good year round destination. Winters are warm with day time termperatures around 17°C, but if you want the heat come in the summer months (January and February) when the highs are around the mid twenties.
- The nearest airport is Martin Miguel de Guernes International Airport, just 7km from the city centre.
- For car hire we recommend the wide choice with our online partner Rentalcars.
Stll not sure?
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in Salta Province,
- Or check out our pick of the best wine hotels in Cafayate
- Alternatively, contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Salta
Best Hotels in Salta
Solar de la Plaza Salta 30 rooms from £82Local exploring - A stylish stay in central Salta with easy access to many of the main attractions.Sights nearby - Walking distance from the Church of Saint Francis.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
An elegant neo-classical property in the heart of Salta. Stylish rooms feature sash windows, antique furniture and the best have brass four poster beds. An atmospheric lounge, all polished wood, is the perfect place to enjoy an evening tipple. Well placed for city exploring. A chic choice. See More
Finca Valentina Salta (La Merced Chica) 8 rooms from £115Value chic - Chic, elegant with fantastic attention to detail all within a reasonable budget.Cooking classes - Cooking classes with Finca Valentina's chefs, learn how to make traditional Salta dishes and enjoy eating for lunch!Birdwatching - You'll see a whole host of birds on the property alone, use the bird book in the house or take a professional tour.Great walks - Explore the lovely gardens or head out further afield to the river and surrounding counrtyside.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Finca Valentina is a chic country house turned boutique hotel in the foothills of the Andes, just outside Salta. Italian owners bring their own sense of décor and cuisine. Perfect base for fabulous Andes excursions. Or stay put and enjoy a cookery class or chilling poolside with a good book! See More
Villa Vicuna Salta 12 rooms from £98Local exploring - An elegant hotel located just 250m from the historic city centre.Great walks - Wander around the beautiful San Martin Park or take a stroll through the 9 de Julio ParkSights nearby - Visit San Francisco Church, San Bernardo Convent or Catedral BasilicaBoutique
A luxury hotel right in the heart of Salta. Elegant rooms have white washed walls, cast iron beds and blue and white tiled floors. The outdoor pool and tranquil gardens are the ideal place to unwind after a days sightseeing. Easy access to activities both in and out of the city. A chic choice. See More
Kkala Boutique Hotel Salta 10 rooms from £101Romantic Break - A quiet and intimate spot, with plush suites boasting charming terraces and the unbeatable luxury of a personal hot tub.Sights nearby - Visit the pretty pink Salta Cathedral.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Great Small Hotels , Tablet
A boutique hotel boasting a quiet location with lovely views, just minutes from the city centre. Individually styled rooms are contemporary in style with rich hues, parquet flooring and glimpses of traditional artefacts. A lovely pool is the perfect spot to take some time to unwind. See More
Legado Mitico, Salta Salta 11 rooms from £112City Style - This stylish and tranquil property with a leafy courtyard and plush suites is the perfect city base.Local markets - Hunt for colourful artefacts at the Purmamarca crafts market.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the imposing pink cathedral.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
A small boutique hotel that exudes both luxury and charisma. Elegant rooms keep their traditional feel with tiled floors, fireplaces, white washed walls and the best have four poster beds. Charming staff are there to help with every need. An atmospheric lounge serves regional tipples. Fabulous. See More
Design Suites Salta Salta 51 rooms from £114City Style - An uber stylish city base, with cool interiors and a rooftop pool, right in front of the Belgrano Square.Local markets - Visit the Mercado Municipal San Miguel to sample regional eats.Sights nearby - Visit the candyfloss pink Catedral Basílica de Salta.SpaRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A chic contemporary property in an excellent central location. Rooms offer spectacular views across the city with the best having two walls completely made of glass. A rooftop pool offers a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle, and a spa provides some serious pampering. Highly recommended. See More
House of Jasmines Salta (La Merced Chica) 14 rooms from £123Romantic Break - The upstairs rooms are built for romance with plush fourposters, elegant decor and stunning views.Country Escape - A beautiful rural property sitting quietly at the foot of the Andes.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the pre-Inca ruined city at Santa Rosa de Tastil.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux, I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Tablet
A gorgeous property set in lovely gardens, with far reaching views towards the Andes. With all its traditional charm still in tact, rooms are quaint and atmospheric with beamed ceilings, tiled floors and antique furniture. A treatment at the small but perfectly formed spa is a must. A rural haven. See More