Search the best hotels in Adelaide
Once upon a time Adelaide's main appeals were its graceful religious architecture and the fact that it was set up as a free colony, rather than a penal colony. But these days Adelaide is known for a lot more - the arts and festival scene is exuberant, the foodie scene thrives on its position, by the wine regions of the Clare Valley and McLaren Vale, and there's a multicultural wave gradually stretching the city's traditionally conservative nature. Our Guru's recommendations for the best places to stay in Adelaide range from chic city boutique hotels to rambling old farmsteads in the Adelaide Hills.
What Not To Miss
- Adelaide's relative youth as a city can be seen in its excellent planning, with plenty of parks included within its grid, with orderly spacing between them.
- Take a jaunt out to the sleepy towns of the Adelaide Hills - which are less than a quarter of an hours drive away on the freeway, or to charming old Port Adelaide. Both these neighbourhoods are worth exploring, as is Glenelg, the beachy bit.
- But first you should explore the centre of town. Don't miss the Central Market, the Art Gallery, the South Australian Museum or the Botanic Gardens.
- And it's definitely worth visiting Adelaide during festival time - which is almost always! - as the city really comes alive and venues pop up all over the place.
- You might also want to get out into the wine regions for a tasting or two, visit the Oval for some sport, take a stroll in the hills or on the plains and take a day trip out to Kangaroo Island.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Adelaide all make ideal bases for exploring this great city and the surrounding area.
The best places to stay in Adelaide
For great value in the centre of town
- The Clarion Hotel Soho is right in the centre of town, with all the mod. cons., chic design and a regularly changing art exhibition on display. As well as being close to everything the Clarion Hotel has a roof top pool with views over the skyline.
- The Franklin is a quirky, seven room boutique hotel in the heart of the city. As well as being small and perfectly designed, The Franklin offers guests free use of its bicycles. And all for around £80 per night.
For luxury in the Adelaide Hills
- Thorngrove Manor Hotel in the Adelaide Hills, is a luxurious, five room hotel, perfect for romance and privacy. It's done up to look like an old castle with antiques, four poster beds and tapestries, and it offers every luxury you can imagine you might need.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a great selection of properties in the centre and on the coast.
- Fly to Adelaide Airport located 5.7km (3.5 miles) from Adelaide with a wide selection of both domestic and International flights.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Adelaide with rail links across Australia including to Melbourne and Sydney.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the city or the countryside beyond - click here for prices and booking with our online partner, Rental Cars.
- Best time to visit - the autumn from March to May for lower levels of rainfall and pleasant temperatures.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Adelaide,
- Or you can widen the net and check out all our recommendations in South Australia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Adelaide
Best Hotels in Adelaide
Clarion Hotel Soho Adelaide (CBD) 30 rooms from £80Sights nearby - Ten minute walk to the Botanic Gardens, fifteen minute walk to Art Gallery of South AustraliaSpa - In-room treatments availableSwimming Pool - OutdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Franklin Adelaide (CBD) 7 rooms from £81Sights nearby - Central location in the CBD, within walking distance of main shopping district and Adelaide ZooFull of character
Largs Pier Hotel Adelaide (Largs Bay SA 5016) 38 rooms from £93City Style - The bar has hosted the likes of Aussie rockers AC/DC and Cold Chisel and has laid-back Sunday afternoon live music sessionsBeach Life - This waterfront property is 15 minutes’ walk from Semaphore BeachSights nearby - The Adelaide Botanic Gardens, the Festival Centre, the National Wine Centre, the Oval, the Zoo and Bicentennial ConservatoryLocal markets - Adelaide Central Markets are a celebrated must-see
A colonial-style seafront hotel harking back to the city's Art Deco past. Interiors are elegant and feature a good dose of retro style. With bars and restaurants boasting gourmet menus, it is a popular venue amongst guests as well as locals for gigs and late-night DJ sets. See More
Athelney Cottage B&B Adelaide (Hackney SA 5069) 2 rooms from £119Local exploring - Many of Adelaide's main attractions are within walking distance and there's good transport links nearbySights nearby - Adelaide Botanic Gardens, The Festival Centre, The National Wine Centre, The Oval, The Zoo, and Bicentennial ConservatoryGreat walks - Short walk from the Adelaide Parklands, a perfect setting for walks, jogging, cycling, bird watching or a picnicLocal markets - Adelaide Central Markets are a celebrated must-see
The Fire Station Inn North Adelaide SA 5006, 4 rooms from £149Local exploring - Within easy distance of the Adelaide Oval, Botanic Gardens and the pubs, shops, cafes and restaurants along O’Connell StreetFamilies - With its playful fire-station theme it is a popular choice for familiesHoneymoons - The Romantic Loggia Spa Suite is a ideal for honeymoonersSights nearby - Sights include Carrick Hill, the General Post Office, Victoria Square and Rundle Mall
A quirky 19th-century converted fire station. Consists of three self sufficient apartments all featuring spa baths and one kitted out with fire engine and fun fire-station themed decor. Centrally located within easy walking distance of restaurants, bars and sights. A unique stay. See More
Thorngrove Manor Hotel Adelaide (Stirling) 5 rooms from £487Sights nearby - Adelaide CBD only 20 mins by carOutstanding location - In the Adelaide HillsOpulentHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Fodors