Search the best hotels in Adelaide
Sprawling South Australia’s thriving capital city, Adelaide is a wonderful destination for keen culture buffs and foodies. Once famed for its abundant religious architecture, the city is increasingly embracing the importance of its pre-colonial past, and acknowledging the Kaurna Aboriginal heritage of its land through exhibitions and cultural events. Leafy and appealingly walkable, this is a brilliant city for families, couples or groups of friends to explore, and a burgeoning crop of great hotels await. See our list of the best places to stay in Adelaide for charming B&Bs and swish city boltholes aplenty.
Delve into Adelaide’s fascinating identity with visits to the Art Gallery of South Australia and the South Australia Museum, or guided walking tours of the city’s heritage landmarks. A well-established network of self-guided tours also allow visitors to discover the city’s street arts and music scene. Foodies will find delectable fresh produce at the 150+ stalls of the bustling Adelaide Central Market, whilst the Botanic Gardens will delight nature enthusiasts.
Central Adelaide is fringed with verdant parkland, perfect for scenic strolls, runs or cycle rides. The banks of the River Torrens offer a scenic walking route, whilst the picturesque Adelaide Hills are criss-crossed with beautiful trails. Head to the Clare Valley and McLaren Vale for wine tours and tastings at some of South Australia’s top vineyards, or venture to Adelaide’s expansive beaches for afternoons of swimming, sandcastle-building and water sports. The annual Adelaide Festival takes place in February & March; expect the best places to stay in Adelaide to fill up fast at this time!
The Best Places to Stay in Adelaide
For City Style
- Soho Hotel is a smart city pad with 29 guest rooms close to East End Park. Interiors are done in crisp white and grey tones, with all the mod cons. The best have spa tubs and private balconies. Guests share access to a rooftop pool with expansive city views. A contemporary bolthole for business or leisure.
- Oval Hotel offers a seriously special stay in a stylish modern building, wrapped around the iconic Adelaide Oval. Swish rooms and suites face the city's leafy parkland and the cathedral. The Five Regions Restaurant is an Adelaide favourite, serving mouth-watering gourmet cuisine and collaborating with South Australian wineries.
- Mayfair Hotel, tucked behind a landmark 1930s façade, has sophisticated rooms and suites with a classic contemporary feel. Decorated in cream and grey tones, this feels like a very grown-up hotel. The Mayflower Restaurant highlights top regional produce, and the Hennessy Bar is a cracking starting point for an evening out.
- The Playford Hotel is an elegant Art Nouveau hotel with glamorous rooms and suites featuring organic shapes and soft pastel shades. Think velvet-upholstered armchairs, brass accents and dark marble bathrooms, perfect for a romantic city break. The spa is superb.
For Art Lovers
- The Watson, in the lively Walkerville district, showcases the work of celebrated Aboriginal artist Yannima Tommy Watson. Airy suites and studios have white-painted walls and soothing earthy tones, allowing the art to take centre stage. Guided art tours and talks will delight keen culture aficionados.
For an Intimate Hideaway
- The Fire Station Inn offers three uniquely appointed self-catering apartments in a converted 19th-century fire station. Pick this place for its fascinating history and unusual design, complete with red-and-white interiors and fire engines in spacious rooms. An intimate family favourite.
- Athelney Cottage B&B also has three guest spaces. Cosy self-contained cottages with wood burning stoves and antique furnishings, these are wonderful for romantic couples or groups of friends seeking additional privacy. Charming and well-located, close to the city's parklands.
For a Seaside Stay
- Largs Pier Hotel is an iconic, 130-year-old landmark, facing the ocean on Largs Bay. 30 minutes from central Adelaide, it's a brilliant base for heritage buffs, keen beachgoers and music fans, who will adore the live gigs and retro feel. The likes of AC/DC & Cold Chisel have played at the bar!
For Great Value
- The Franklin has just seven quirky rooms, each with moody, dark-painted walls and an industrial feel. Small and friendly, the hotel is set around a buzzy pub, where you can expect cracking craft ales, live music and sports broadcasts. An affordable choice in a great location with a sociable atmosphere.
- Marion Hotel is a hip, contemporary spot in south-western Adelaide. Light-filled rooms have an industrial edge, whilst indulgent bathrooms have big, sink-into tubs. The real appeal is the convivial feel, with acoustic sessions, regular events and a lively bar. Well-priced and great for trips with friends.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY Villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Adelaide International Airport, just under 6km from the city. Catch an airport shuttle, take a taxi or speak to your hotel in advance about arranging an airport pick-up. Alternatively, catch a train to Adelaide with rail links across Australia including to Melbourne and Sydney.
- South Australia is wonderful for a road trip, and Adelaide makes an excellent starting point! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit during the summer, spring or autumn months for sunshine and pleasant temperatures. Winters (June to August) are cool and can be rainy.
Still Not Sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Kangaroo Island.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in South Australia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Adelaide
Best Hotels in Adelaide
Marion Hotel Adelaide (South Australia) 59 rooms from £78Wine tasting - Join terrific wine tastings & champagne masterclasses, some held alongside three-course dinners in the hotel's cellarsValue chic - A great value choice for anyone looking for a hip Adelaide base with a convivial vibe & a reasonable price tagGroups - Group rates, flexible rooms, swish event spaces and a lively buzz make this a brilliant group holiday pickRestaurant - Gather with other guests at The Garden, for big brunches and light bites, or tuck into to delicous dinners in The Dining Room
Hip and fresh, this contemporary spot in south-west Adelaide is famed for its convivial feel as well as the fantastic series of events held at the onsite wine cellars. Expect light-filled rooms with an industrial edge, indulgent bathrooms & lively shared spaces with acoustic gigs aplenty. See More
The Franklin, Adelaide Adelaide (CBD) 7 rooms from £91Great walks - Experience Adelaide on foot with the fabulous street art trail route, showcasing some of the 100+ pieces on the city's wallsValue chic - With rooms for under £100 a night, this is a very reasonably priced base for a stay in the heart of the cityCity Style - An intimate hotel with just seven rooms & an industrial-chic feel, perfect for a city breakHotel Entertainment - Live music nights, art exhibitions and sports broadcasts create a buzzy evening atmosphere
A quirky bolthole in Adelaide's CBD, with seven industrial-chic rooms featuring original artwork & pops of colour against moody, black-painted walls. White-tiled bathrooms are very swish. The real hub of the hotel is its lively pub, where guests & locals gather for live music & sports matches. See More
Largs Pier Hotel Adelaide (Largs Bay SA 5016) 38 rooms from £107Groups - The bar has hosted the likes of AC/DC & Cold Chisel; laid-back Sunday live music sessions are perfect for trips with friendsWatersports - Just 15 minutes’ walk from Semaphore Beach, perfect for water sports enthusiasts of all agesClose to nightlife - Set on a lively stretch of the seafront, the hotel also hosts its own gigs and live sessionsBeach Life - 15 minutes’ walk from Semaphore Beach, which is wonderful for watersports
A colonial-style seafront hotel harking back to the city's Art Deco past. Interiors are elegant and feature plenty of retro style. With bars and restaurants boasting gourmet menus, it is a popular venue with guests as well as locals for gigs and atmospheric late-night DJ sets. See More
The Soho Hotel Adelaide (South Australia) 29 rooms from £125Local exploring - Centrally located just moments from East End Park, the hotel is perfect for exploring the city on foot or by bicycleCity Style - A swish city bolthole with ultra-modern interiors in its 29 roomsRestaurant - Dine at onsite restaurant S2 Modern Thai or enjoy coffee and pastries next door at The Flinders Street ProjectGreat walks - Stroll to nearby East End park, or venture to the leafy Botanic Gardens for a scenic walk
A chic 29-bedroom hotel close to East End Park, with crisp white & grey interiors and all the mod-cons. The best rooms have spa tubs and private terraces boasting striking views of Adelaide's skyline - also impressive when seen from the rooftop pool! Cool, contemporary and super-central. See More
Oval Hotel Adelaide (Australia) 138 rooms from £150Foodies - Five Regions Restaurant collaborates with a new South Australian winery every 8 weeks - paired tasting menus will thrill foodiesOther Activities - Cross the rooftop of the iconic Oval’s Western Stand with a guided RoofClimb experience, admiring stunning city viewsActive Holiday - Perfect for sports fans, who will find the legendary Adelaide Oval just steps away on match days or for private toursRestaurant - Feast on gastronomic delights at the Five Regions Restaurant, pub grub at the Malt Shovel Taphouse & coffee at Koffee Ink Café
A superb contemporary hotel wrapped around the iconic Adelaide Oval, overlooking the city's leafy parkland and the cathedral. Chic rooms & suites have floor-to-ceiling windows, stylish bathrooms & dazzling views. Plus there's mouth-watering dishes paired with SA wines at the Five Regions Restaurant. See More
The Watson Adelaide (South Australia) from £150Local exploring - Well-located for exploring Adelaide's leafy centre and the CBD, as well as getting a sense of its vibrant art sceneFamilies - A great family hotel, with two-bedroom suites, self-catering facilities and a refreshing swimming poolLearning - Take guided tours of the hotel's collection of artist Watson's work with in house Art AdvocatesArtworks - Conceptualised around the works of iconic Aboriginal artist Yannima Pikarli Tommy Watson
Decorated with the vibrant artwork of iconic Aboriginal artist Yannima Tommy Watson, this Walkerville hotel offers fresh, modern studios & suites with white-painted walls, smart pops of grey and red textiles and expansive views of leafy Adelaide. A friendly and lively art-centred city base. See More
Mayfair Hotel Adelaide (South Australia) 170 rooms from £170Business meetings - Private meeting & conference spaces, plus the option to reserve the gourmet Mayflower Restaurant make this a top business hotelOther Activities - Three minute's drive from the Adelaide Convention Centre & the Adelaide Oval, this is a fabulous base for business travellersCity Style - A smart city hotel with white and cream interiors and a excellent dining options in the heart of the cityLocal markets - Adelaide Central Market is a must-see, perfect for foodies, keen shoppers and those eager to support local initiatives
An iconic 1930s building turned luxury boutique hotel in the centre of town. Expect crisp white & cream elegant interiors, with furniture made by the city's top craftspeople. This stylish hotel's gourmet food & wine also reflect the best of South Australia. A proud Adelaide icon. See More
The Fire Station Inn North Adelaide SA 5006, 4 rooms from £178Local exploring - Close to the Adelaide Oval, the Botanic Gardens and the pubs, shops & restaurants of O’Connell StreetFamilies - With its playful fire-station theme & spacious rooms, this is a hugely popular choice for familiesSights nearby - Visit Carrick Hill, the General Post Office and Victoria Square for a sense of the city's historyCycling - Hop aboard the hotel's free bicycles to discover leafy north Adelaide on two wheels
A quirky 19th-century converted fire station. Consists of three self sufficient apartments all featuring spa baths and one kitted out with fire engine and fun fire-station themed decor. Centrally located within easy walking distance of restaurants, bars and sights. A unique stay. See More
The Playford Hotel Adelaide (South Australia) 182 rooms from £216Romantic Break - A chic hotel for romantics looking seeking Art Nouveau elegance & fabulous food in the heart of the city's cultural districtGreat walks - Follow Adelaide history & art walks — such as the Hindley Street Heritage Trail — spotting key city sites as your meanderRestaurant - The acclaimed Luma Restaurant and Bar is one of Adelaide's top dining spots, with a modern, European-inspired menuLively area - In Adelaide's cultural neighbourhood, brimming with great shops, cafes and galleries
An elegant hotel fusing Art Nouveau elements with soothing pastel shades & contemporary comforts. There's a romantic feel to rooms and suites with velvet-upholstered armchairs, brass accents and dark marble bathrooms, plus a gourmet restaurant and spoiling spa. Glitzy & gorgeous. See More
Athelney Cottage B&B Adelaide (Hackney SA 5069) 3 rooms from £256Great walks - Stroll to the Adelaide Parklands, a perfect setting for walks, jogging, cycling, bird watching or a picnicLocal exploring - Many of Adelaide's main attractions are within walking distance, perfect for exploring on foot or bicycleMuseums - The South Australian Museum, Migration Museum and State Library are all in easy distance of the propertyHideaway - A charming little hideaway close to the heart of Adelaide, with stacks of character & plenty of privacy
Three self-contained B&B cottages on a quiet leafy street in the heart of Adelaide. Charming interiors are cosy and traditional with wood burning stoves, antiques and soft hues. Each offers a private courtyard, and a real sense of privacy. A tranquil and romantic home-away from home. See More