Search the best hotels in Kangaroo Island
About Kangaroo Island
Australia’s third-largest island, Kangaroo Island is nothing short of breath-taking. A land of verdant hills and fields, fringed by craggy cliffs and vast beaches of pristine sand, it’s an almost unparalleled destination for nature lovers and outdoorsy explorers. The isle abounds with rare wildlife, too, spotted out in the ocean, in carefully protected areas, or from some of the best places to stay on Kangaroo Island. Our Gurus have gathered their top spots for a memorable escape to one of our favourite parts of Australia; read on for cosy hideaways and glamorous eco-lodges galore.
Most travellers arrive by ferry from the mainland to Penneshaw, on the Dudley Peninsula, or by plane to Kingscote Airport. Penneshaw has a real buzz, with pubs and hostels, whilst postcard-perfect Kingscote feels appealingly laid-back and welcoming. Foodies will find delicious eateries scattered throughout the island, as well as some superb farmers’ markets showcasing small-scale local producers. Don’t miss the chance to visit award-winning wineries, honey farms and dairies — many offer excellent tours and tastings.
For magical wildlife encounters and striking hikes, look to Flinders Chase National Park, the Seal Bay Conservation Park, and the Kangaroo Island Wildlife Park. See koalas, kangaroos and wallabies in their natural habitat, admire whales and dolphins in the distance, or take a guided birdwatching tour of the Lathami Conservation Park to see rare glossy black cockatoos, one of 260 species of birds on the island. Beautiful beaches await, too, with coastal paths and opportunities for swimming and fishing. Return to one of the best places to stay on Kangaroo Island for stunning sunsets, superb South Australian wines and delicious dinners.
The Best Places to Stay in Kangaroo Island
For an Intimate Escape
- Lifetime Private Retreats offers three indulgent private villas, all overlooking Snelling's Beach. Book the three-bedroom Cliff House for a fantastic trip with family and friends, or retreat to a one-bedroom villa to unwind as a couple. Perfect for longer self-catering stays.
- StowAway has four cosy cabins, tucked within 250 acres of family-owned farmland close to the island's northern coast. Think fresh, airy interiors, a real sense of seclusion and private hot tubs for dazzling evenings under the stars. Cook up a storm in your hideaway's kitchen before curling up by the crackling woodfired stove. Romantic bliss.
For Absolute Luxury
- Sea Dragon Lodge is a collection of contemporary rooms, suites and villas promising panoramic views over Pink Beach Bay. Spot wallabies from your private terrace or sink into your hot tub after delicious dinners of top-notch South Australian produce paired with local wines. Five-star style with a strong eco-conscious ethos.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY Villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Kingscote Airport, just 14km from the island's largest town. There are frequent connecting flights from Adelaide International Airport.Take a taxi or speak to your hotel in advance about arranging an airport pick-up. Alternatively, catch a ferry to Kangaroo Island from Cape Jervis on the mainland.
- South Australia is wonderful for a road trip. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit during the summer, spring or autumn months for sunshine and pleasant temperatures. Winters (June to August) are cool and can be rainy.
Still Not Sure?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Adelaide.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in South Australia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Kangaroo Island
Best Hotels in Kangaroo Island
Lifetime Private Retreats Kangaroo Island 3 rooms from £322Families - Book three-bedroom Cliff House for a fabulous family trip, with heaps of outdoorsy activities & access to Snelling's BeachSnorkelling - Take a two-hour guided boat & snorkelling safari to see dolphins, whales, birds and seals out on the oceanHideaway - The Beach Retreat or Sky House are ideal for a tranquil escape in a magical setting overlooking the oceanWildlife Area - Flinders Chase National Park is brilliant for hiking and walking, as well as spotting birds and seals
Luxurious private villas set atop the cliffs overlooking Snelling's Beach on Kangaroo Island. Families and friends will adore three-bedroom Cliff House, whilst couples can hide away in blissful tranquility in one-bedroom rammed-earth villas with mesmerising views. A gem, promising absolute privacy. See More
StowAway Kangaroo Island 4 rooms from £462Hideaway - Four gorgeous hideaways within 250 acres of family-owned farmland close to Stokes Bay — utter bliss!Honeymoons - Honeymooners will adore kicking back in chic cabins with private hot tubs under the starsGreat walks - Take scenic strolls along Stokes Bay, where you can also swim or enjoy a picnic of mouth-watering island food & wineBirdwatching - The nearby Lathami Conservation Park is home to the rare Glossy Black Cockatoo, perfect for keen bird watchers
Four stylish hideaways on 250 acres of verdant farmland, owned by the same family for three generations. Expect fresh, airy interiors with natural textures, crackling fireplaces, pretty kitchens & dazzling views. Star-gaze from your hot tub, glass of South Australian wine in hand. Bliss. See More
Sea Dragon Lodge Cape Willoughby, Kangaroo Island 13 rooms from £748Wildlife Area - Dolphins, seals & whales swim by the beach, whilst kangaroos & wallabies hop around the grounds, delighting wildlife enthusiastsBirdwatching - Kangaroo Island is home to 260 bird species — 30 can be spotted on walks or from your deck. Take guided tours for more!Back to Nature - Spot kangaroos and wallabies, whales and seals from your terrace — or take private birdwatching tours and guided walksViews - Each of the rooms, suites and villas boasts fabulous views over the bay from their clifftop spot
Nestled close to Willoughby Lighthouse with panoramic views over Pink Beach Bay, this tranquil retreat comprises a handful of airy, rooms, suites & villas with a fresh, nautical feel, each with a private deck (the best with outdoor tub). Delicious dinners champion South Australian produce. Magical. See More