Search the best hotels in Darwin
Darwin sprawls in its humidity, an extremely laid-back city, despite the fact that it's surrounded by some of Australia's most dramatic landscape and dangerous beasts. A gateway to the spectacular Northern Territory, with its red deserts, lush floodplains, mangrove forests and ancient culture, Darwin is truly tropical, and closer to its island neighbours than to the rest of Australia. Many of the best places to stay in Darwin feel more like tropical island resorts than hotels.
Darwin's beaches are beautiful, but of course you can't swim for fear of the box jellyfish, and its creeks and waterways are inviting, but you have to watch out for the crocodiles. You also need to check your shoes for Redback spiders, and the path in front of you for snakes, but your proximity to exciting critters should be another reason to visit rather than a deterrent.
What Not To Miss
- Darwin provides plenty of space for relaxation, in the pavement cafes and bars, the fantastically diverse covered markets and in the lush shady, bougainvillea and frangipani scented parks.
- Despite being a long way from anywhere, Darwin is a cosmopolitan city, called home by people from around 50 different countries. This adds energy to the arts scene, and Darwin has some fantastic little museums and a surprisingly exuberant arts scene.
- Go fishing, take a day trip out to the Tiwi Islands, or Litchfield or Kakadu, take a cruise and of course see as many crocodiles as you can fit in.
- Alternatively, there's a couple of water parks which are ideal for a family day out.
- Or for an interesting historical experience, take a tour of the beautiful Parliament House and learn about the history of the city.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Darwin offers great facilities and is the ideal base to explore the city from.
The best places to stay in Darwin
- Skycity Darwin has its own beach, and both an infinity pool and a lagoon pool, so it definitely qualifies as a resort. Its luxurious rooms look out over either a calm bay or else the lush hotel gardens and there's a relaxed, tropical vibe in tune with the location.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a great selection of properties in the city centre and overlooking the water.
- Fly to Darwin International Airport located 11.5km (7 miles) from the city, with a range of flights across Australia along with International flights to Singapore and Bali amongst other destinations.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Darwin with rail links to Adelaide.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the area, click here for prices and booking with our online partner, Rental Cars.
- Best time to visit - the winter months from June to August for cooler temperatures and the dry season.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Darwin,
- Alternatively expand your search and check out all our recommendations in the Northern Territory.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Darwin
Best Hotels in Darwin
Rydges Darwin Central Darwin 132 rooms from £56Local exploring - Perfectly located in the heart of the city with easy access to restaurants, malls, and even Charles Darwin National ParkRestaurant - 1940s/50s themed restaurant serving traditional Australian fare.Local markets - Pick up some local produce at the Mindil Beach Sunset MarketsSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
H on Smith Hotel Darwin (Northern Territory) 186 rooms from £60Value chic - Stylish contemporary design, with a young and hip feel, offered at very reasonable ratesSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRestaurant - Recommended.
A hip modern hotel occupying a central position on Smith St. Rooms have clean design with crisp white linen, expansive windows and spacious showers (suites have spa baths). Modern Asian cuisine is served in an open restaurant overlooking the pool. With great rates, this is a perfect city crashpad. See More
Beachlife Apartments Darwin 2 rooms from £53City Style - The location in the heart of Darwin’s CBD means stunning 360° harbour and city views and easy access to shops, bars and sitesFamilies - Three large bedrooms and two bathrooms in each apartment make this a perfect family optionSights nearby - Charles Darwin National Park is a 10 minute drive. Katherine Gorge & East Point Reserve are natural beauty sites near the citySailing - 3 hour tropical sunset cruise on the magnificent Darwin Harbour can be arranged while Darwin Sailing Club is open to all
Boutique 3-bedroom apartments located in central Darwin. Spacious bedrooms, terraces with stunning city views and well-equipped kitchens and laundries in each apartment make this an unbeatable base for families. Bright, large rooms have all contemporary comforts and pool and gym access is included. See More
Skycity Darwin Darwin (49137) 152 rooms from £99Swimming Pool - Infinity edge pool, plus lagoon swimming pool on the beachSpaRestaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Vibe Hotel Darwin Waterfront Darwin 121 rooms from £109Families - A range of family suites, a large pool, and the option to add roll-away beds make this a great choice for familiesValue chic - With chic modern design and a Waterfront Precinct position, you are getting a lot for very low pricesRestaurant - Curve Restaurant & Bar is open all day and offers a varied international style menuSwimming Pool - Semi-covered outdoor pool
A chic modern hotel located right on Waterfront Precinct offering rooms at very attractive prices. Minimalist bedrooms are all white-on-white with large picture windows and indulgent modern bathrooms. Downstairs is a half-covered pool and a relaxed cafe. An affordable yet stylish stay. See More
Darwin Waterfront Luxury Suites Darwin 17 rooms from £247Families - For those travelling with children who would prefer a self-catering option, this is the perfect city baseCity Style - Expect chic modern design with fabulous coastal views - both homely and very stylishSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A collection of sleek waterfront apartments perfectly located in the heart of Darwin. Ranging from one-bed to three-beds, this is a great choice for families or groups. With chic minimalist style, fabulous views from the floor-to-ceiling windows, and modern kitchens - this is an idyllic city base. See More