Search the best hotels in Hobart
Hobart is the small, intimate capital of Tasmania, a state covering great swathes of pristine wilderness. These days its metropolitan area spreads out along the beautiful Derwent River and into some spectacular countryside, but it was built as Australia's second city, founded as a penal colony, and so its colonial history provides another reason to visit. And some of the best places to stay in Hobart have been converted from the city's early colonial buildings.
What Not To Miss
- Hobart's Docks have been enjoying a regeneration and there are some great pubs and restaurants, many of them serving local beer and wine from the Tamar Valley.
- The picturesque warehouses of Salamanca Place and the old warren of alleys of Battery Point are the main streets when it comes to foodie treasure troves, and on Saturday there's a fantastic market in Salamanca Place - so don't drive into town on a Saturday!
- Foodies have further treats to enjoy within the Gothic grandeur of the Cascade Brewery or on the grounds of the Moorilla Estate.
- Hobart is also home to the Tasmanian Museum & Art Gallery, a museum to the 1911-14 Australasian Antarctic Expedition, several museums uncovering Hobart's penal history, and MONA, called by its owner ''a subversive adult Disneyland", where antiques are displayed next to modern art in a provocative way.
- Behind Hobart is Mt. Wellington, a rocky tor much loved by bushwalkers and mountain bikers, so you don't need to go far to get out into the great outdoors.
The best places to stay in Hobart provide excellent bases from which to explore this fascinating city and the surrounding area.
The best places to stay in Hobart
For a city break
- The Henry Jones Art Hotel is Australia's first 'art hotel'; a hip, stylish space converted from an 1820s jam warehouse right on Hobart's waterfront. Rooms are tasteful and you're in a great spot.
- The Islington Hotel is a converted Regency house with a fabulous modern stone and glass extension allowing for even more spectacular views of Mt. Wellington. The grounds, on the outskirts of Hobart, are manicured and beautiful and the interior is decorated with art and antiques.
Just outside town
- If you like your interiors chic and modern then you'll like the Mona Pavilions, a collection of slick, uniquely designed self-catering pavilions on the Morilla Estate, in the grounds of the Mona Museum. Just a short ferry trip from Hobart, as well as the museum there's a heated infinity pool, gym and sauna.
- Woodbridge on the Derwent is a collection of eight luxurious suites in an 1825, convict-built riverside mansion just 25 minutes from Hobart. Many of the original features, like open fireplaces, a ballroom and library, remain. Plus you're surrounded by food and wine country.
For rural relaxation
- Villa Howden located on the tranquil shores of North West Bay, offers traditional elegance and the perfect place to stay for intimate celebrations and quiet contemplation. Rooms are beautifully decorated and fresh local produce is served in peaceful dining rooms. A secluded country house.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a great selection of properties overlooking the marina and in the town centre.
- Fly to Hobart Airport located 18km (11 miles) from Hobart with a range of domestic flights across Australia.
- Alternatively, Hobart is also a destination on several cruise ship routes, so travel by boat is also an option.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the area, click here for prices and booking with our online partner, Rental Cars.
- Best time to visit - the summer months from December to February for pleasant temperatures.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Hobart
Hadley's Orient Hotel Hobart 71 rooms from £84
An historic Victorian-era building located near Hobart's business district. Spacious rooms have a retro feel with patterned carpets and wall paper and vintage decor. An elegant bar comes complete with grand piano and the restaurant serves regional cuisine. A smart stay in the heart of the city.Local exploring - A mid-city location making this a great choice for travellers keen to experience Hobart's booming city sceneBusiness meetings - Located in Hobart's Central Business DistrictSights nearby - The Aquatic Centre, the Hobart Waterfront and Salamanca Place are in easy distance and the Botanical Gardens are quite closeLocal markets - The popular Salamanca Markets and Street Eats market are a short walk away
Henry Jones Art Hotel Hobart 50 rooms from £139
Australia's first dedicated art hotel has transformed a historic 1820s jam warehouse on Hobart's waterfront in to a contemporary, hip and stylish space. Rooms are tastefully furnished with large bathrooms. Perfect for a weekend city break or honeymooners.Sights nearby - Bruny Island, Tasman IslandOutstanding location - On Hobart's waterfront
Mantra Collins Hotel Hobart TAS 7000 80 rooms from £109
A smart hotel set in a great mid-city location. Well appointed rooms are contemporary in design and feature floor to ceiling windows (the best have wonderful city views). Sample Tasmanian dishes at the restaurant and find yourself just a stroll away from many of the city's major attractions.Local exploring - A mid-city location making this a great choice for travellers keen to experience Hobart's booming city sceneBusiness meetings - Located in the Hobart Central Business DistrictSights nearby - The Aquatic Centre the Hobart Waterfront and Salamanca Place are in easy distance, and the Botanical Gardens are just 2kms awayGreat walks - Great waterfront walks and tours through the city
The Corinda Collection Hobart (Glebe, Tasmania, 7000) 9 rooms from £129
Lavish Victorian-style accommodation, offering both rooms or cottages, on a hilltop area in the idyllic Glebe suburb of Hobart. Surrounded by lush gardens, with breakfast and an honesty-bar available. Just a 15 minute walk into the centre of Hobart making this a tranquil yet convenient stay.Local exploring - Well-placed to see southern Tasmania's most popular attractions and just 15 minutes from Hobart city centreCountry Escape - Peace, privacy and spectacular views combine with a warm family welcome; popular among garden loversSights nearby - Discover the World Heritage listed Port Arthur, accessible by sea as well as over landLocal markets - Only 10-15 minutes on foot to city centre’s markets and culinary hotspots
Villa Howden Margate, Tasmania 10 rooms from £191
Villa Howden, located on the tranquil shores of North West Bay, offers traditional elegance and the perfect place to stay for intimate celebrations and quiet contemplation. Rooms are beautifully decorated and fresh local produce is served in peaceful dining rooms. A secluded country house.Sights nearby - Just 15 mins from Hobart. Close to Port Arthur, Salamanca Market, Air Walk and Mount Wellington.Swimming Pool - Indoor salt water poolLocal markets - Salamanca Market,Great walks - Huon TrailRecommended by - Tablet
Islington Hotel Hobart 11 rooms from £202
An old Regency house is the perfect setting for this boutique hotel with fabulous glass/stone extension,found on the outskirts of Hobart with stunning views to Mt Wellington. Art and antiques. And a swimming pool, BBQ facilities and an acre of manicured gardens including a 100 year old willow tree.Restrictions on children - Must be aged 16 or overViews - To Mt WellingtonLocal markets - Good for local colour.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
MACq 01 Hobart TAS 7000 114 rooms from £186
Situated on a wharf offering stunning views over the waterfront, river and mountains. Interiors are elegant and modern with light rooms boasting indulgent bathrooms and private terraces. Featuring an interesting storytelling theme and offering organised tours of the hotel and city. Superb.Local exploring - Nearby is Constitution Dock with its fishing boats and pleasure craft, Salamanca Place, Franklin Square and St David’s ParkSights nearby - The Aquatic Centre, the Hobart Waterfront and Salamanca Place are in easy distance and the Botanical Gardens are nearbyGreat walks - Great waterfront walks and tours through the city led by the hotel storytellersLocal markets - The popular Salamanca Markets and Street Eats market are within easy distance
Woodbridge on the Derwent near Hobart, Tasmania from £273
Eight luxury suites in historic 1825 convict-built riverside mansion, only 25 minutes from Hobart. Family owned and run, with a private ballroom, library and open fireplaces. A great base for exploring renowned local cuisine and wine producers.Outstanding location - In Derwent Valley, Tasmania's renowned gourmet food bowl with wineries and farm gate producers5* Luxury - Tasmania's only 5 star accredited hotelLocal markets - 30 mins drive to Salamanca MarketsKayaking - Kayaks available for guest useRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Mona Pavilions Hobart, Tasmania from £308
Slick, contemporary self-catering pavilions on the Morilla Estate a short ferry ride from Hobart in the grounds of the Mona. Festivals, culture courses, with free museum entry, a gym, sauna and heated indoor infinity pool.Sights nearby - On same site as Mona museum, 15 minutes outside of HobartSwimming Pool - Heated infinity poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Outstanding locationRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Avalon City Retreat Hobart 2 rooms from £382
A two-bedroom apartment sits atop a 1960's office block, with contemporary steel and glass design and floor-to ceiling windows offering great views. Interiors are sleek and minimalist, there's a fully functioning kitchen and large terrace for evening drinks. An achingly cool central base.Local exploring - A mid-city location makes this a great choice for travellers keen to experience Hobart's booming city sceneGroups - Has two king-size rooms, perfect for those travelling in a small groupViews - With its massive picture windows and generous decks, the apartment offers breathtaking city and water viewsSights nearby - The Aquatic Centre, the Hobart Waterfront, Salamanca Place and the Botanical Gardens are in easy distance