Search the best hotels in Launceston
Nestling on the mouth of a river is Tasmania's second city and cultural heartland, Launceston, an elegant artsy city with a reputation for gourmet cuisine and gorgeous surroundings. An ideal stepping stone for exploring the wider region, whether you're planning a hiking holiday or driving along the Tamar Valley Wine Route. The streets are quaint are lined with antique shops, chic cafes and designer boutiques, while the seaside boardwalk boasts some of the best seafood restaurants in the whole of Tasmania. Kids will love the adventure park in Hollybank Forest, history-buffs will love the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery and all will be enchanted by the penguin colony who inhabit Lillico Beach. The quintessential place for a family holiday filled with sunshine, sand and nature. Our collection of the best places to stay in Launceston have something for everone from chic boutiques to family-friendly stays.
What not to miss
- Pay a visit to the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery.
- Take the chairlift to the top of Cataract Gorge and drink in the gorgeous views.
- Wander the quaint streets, past the antique shops and boutique stores.
- Enjoy a romantic walk along the seaside boardwalk.
- Head out to the lavender estates outside of the city, such as the Bridestowe Lavander Estate.
- Drive (and drink) your way down the Tamar Valley Wine Route.
- Take the kids to Hollybank Forest Adventure Park.
- Head 10 mins west of Devonport to Lillico Beach, where you can find a penguin colony.
A charming city surrounded by beautiful natural scenery, Launceston is the perfect place for a family holiday. Browse our list of the best places to stay in Launceston to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Launceston
- The Red Feather Inn: a collection of beautiful colonial buildings in the Meander Valley, offering rooms and suites with a contemporary style and lovely garden views. Perfect for a romantic getaway, it is near key sightseeing spots and offers cooking classes.
- Peppers Silo Hotel: comprising of four grain silos adorned with chic modern interiors, this cosy family-run hotel offers delicious seasonal cuisine in its café or restaurant and boasts a pampering spa. All rooms have stunning views of the Tamar River and it is just a short stroll to the city centre.
- Hotel Charles: with its stylish Art Deco facade, this simple and modern hotel is set at the gateway to the Tamar Valley. Offering minimalist and contemporary rooms with whitewashed walls, floor to ceiling windows and splashes of colour.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Sydney, from where you can get a flight to Launceston Airport.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is between December and March, when the temperature ranges between 10 and 25 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Launceston
The Red Feather Inn Launceston (Hadspen) 12 rooms from £120
This collection of colonial buildings is nestled in the Meander Valley in Northern Tasmania. All rooms and suites boast a garden view and contemporary interiors. A beautiful location for an intimate wedding or romantic getaway, with cooking classes on site and an array of local attractions nearby.Secluded setting - For escaping.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Local markets - Good for local colour.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Hotel Charles Launceston TAS 7250 99 rooms from £100
Set behind an impressive Art Deco style facade, this understated and modern hotel is set at the gateway to the Tamar Valley. Rooms are minimalist and contemporary with white washed walls, floor to ceiling windows and bursts of colour coming from the soft furnishings. A smart stay.Business meetings - Just a 10-minute stroll from the Central Business DistrictLocal exploring - A perfect base for Tamar Valley day-trippingViews - Great views from hotelHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Peppers Silo Hotel Launceston (Invermay TAS 7248) 7 rooms from £121
The building comprises of four grain silos with chic modern interiors. A comfortable family-run hotel offering delicious seasonal cuisine in its café or restaurant and featuring an indulgent spa. All rooms have wonderful views over the Tamar River and it is just a short stroll to the city centre.City Style - A 15-minute walk along a path beside the Tamar and North Esk rivers will take you from the hotel to Launceston’s city centreIndustrial conversion - Dating back to the 1960’s, the heritage building which spanned 35 metres high contained grain in four large silosLocal exploring - Well-situated to explore the city's buzzing sceneViews - With sweeping views over the meandering river