- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Port Douglas
About Port Douglas
Idyllically positioned between The Great Barrier Reef and The Daintree Rainforest, Port Douglas is a civilised piece of paradise within commuting distance from Cairns International Airport. What protects the charm of the village of Port Douglas is price. But there are still some great value options in our list of the best places to stay in Port Douglas, because the majority of the hotels and resorts have been built in the rainforests just out of town.
Port Douglas has good bars, a good marina, a lovely golf course and some truly excellent cafes. And of course the climate is very friendly. Most of Port Douglas's development dates from the '80s - Four Mile Beach, the strip of perfect white sand just feet from the main drag, was a big draw for developers, but development has never got out of hand. There's still a sleepy charm to the town.
What Not To Miss
- The Sunday Craft Markets, like everything in Port Douglas, are very good but quite pricey.
- Port Douglas is just an hour from the outer reef and an hour and a half from Cape Tribulation. It's an amazing place to try your hand at sailing or fishing and there are numerous things to do in and around the beaches and the rainforests.
- The town has its own wildlife park, the Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas which provides a great collection of animals making it fun for all the family.
- Take a look at St Mary's by the Sea Chapel, positioned dramatically overlooking the water.
- Zip across the water to the reef on a boat tour with opportunities for snorkeling in the pristine clear sea.
Port Douglas has a reputation as an excellent beach-side village so the best places to stay in Port Douglas are in top demand during peak season.
For complete relaxation
- The QT Port Douglas is set back from the beach and away from the hustle and bustle of the town, making it perfectly situated for a relaxing stay. Fun, light filled rooms, with chic retro decor, look out onto the garden or pool. One or two bed apartments are ideal for families or groups.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a variety of properties both in the centre and by the beach
- Fly to Cairns Airport located 66km (41 miles) from Port Douglas. The airport provides a range of connections both within Australia and Internationally.
- Alternatively, catch a scenic train to Port Douglas via Cairns, with onward connections to Brisbane.
- If you'd rather rent a car, for prices we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the dry winter season from May to October typically offers the least rainfall and pleasant temperatures.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Port Douglas
QT Port Douglas 170 rooms from $113Port Douglas
Set back from the beach and away from the hustle and bustle of the town, QT is perfectly situated for a relaxing stay. Fun, light filled rooms, with chic retro decor, look out onto the garden or pool. One or two bed apartments are ideal for families or groups.SpaOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith