What a brilliant website. I shall speak of it far & wide ! David Campbell.
Search the best hotels in Port Douglas
About Port Douglas
Idyllically positioned between The Great Barrier Reef and The Daintree Rainforest, Port Douglas is a civilised piece of paradise within commuting distance from Cairns International Airport. What protects the charm of the village of Port Douglas is price. But there are still some great value options in our list of the best places to stay in Port Douglas, because the majority of the hotels and resorts have been built in the rainforests just out of town.
Port Douglas has good bars, a good marina, a lovely golf course and some truly excellent cafes. And of course the climate is very friendly. Most of Port Douglas's development dates from the '80s - Four Mile Beach, the strip of perfect white sand just feet from the main drag, was a big draw for developers, but development has never got out of hand. There's still a sleepy charm to the town.
What Not To Miss
- The Sunday Craft Markets, like everything in Port Douglas, are very good but quite pricey.
- Port Douglas is just an hour from the outer reef and an hour and a half from Cape Tribulation. It's an amazing place to try your hand at sailing or fishing and there are numerous things to do in and around the beaches and the rainforests.
- The town has its own wildlife park, the Wildlife Habitat Port Douglas which provides a great collection of animals making it fun for all the family.
- Take a look at St Mary's by the Sea Chapel, positioned dramatically overlooking the water.
- Zip across the water to the reef on a boat tour with opportunities for snorkeling in the pristine clear sea.
Port Douglas has a reputation as an excellent beach-side village so the best places to stay in Port Douglas are in top demand during peak season.
For complete relaxation
- The QT Port Douglas is set back from the beach and away from the hustle and bustle of the town, making it perfectly situated for a relaxing stay. Fun, light filled rooms, with chic retro decor, look out onto the garden or pool. One or two bed apartments are ideal for families or groups.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a variety of properties both in the centre and by the beach
- Fly to Cairns Airport located 66km (41 miles) from Port Douglas. The airport provides a range of connections both within Australia and Internationally.
- Alternatively, catch a scenic train to Port Douglas via Cairns, with onward connections to Brisbane.
- If you'd rather rent a car, for prices we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the dry winter season from May to October typically offers the least rainfall and pleasant temperatures.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Port Douglas
QT Port Douglas Port Douglas 170 rooms from £87
Set back from the beach and away from the hustle and bustle of the town, QT is perfectly situated for a relaxing stay. Fun, light filled rooms, with chic retro decor, look out onto the garden or pool. One or two bed apartments are ideal for families or groups.SpaOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Peppers Beach Club Port Douglas 75 rooms from £172
Set in the fishing village of picturesque Port Douglas, with 4 Mile Beach a stone's throw away. A tranquil and relaxed setting, with own leafy pool, gym, in-house bar and restaurant. A good base from which to explore the two National Heritage sites of Daintree Rainforest and the Great Barrier Reef.Back to Nature - Lies in a unique landscape where 2 World Heritage listed-territories, The Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest meetGreat walks - Numerous guided or self-guided trails around Daintree RainforestBirdwatching - Book a guided sunrise cruise to observe unusual birdsSailing - Can be booked nearby.
Mai Tai Resort Port Douglas (Cassowary) 6 rooms from £176
An intimate, Balinese-style resort, perched on top of a mountain by Port Douglas and nestled in 5 acres of private lush tropical rainforest. With pool, a choice of 4 rooms or 2 rooms in the private villa. Adult-only romantic setting with lush scenery, close to both rainforest and coastal activities.Beach Life - Just a 10 minute drive from the charming seaside town of Port TalbotDiving - The Great Barrier Reef is not far and offers a wealth of interesting nature to discoverGreat walks - There are stunning walks and trails in the nearby rainforest as well as by the coastRestrictions on children - Adult only
Port Douglas Peninsula Boutique Hotel Port Douglas 34 rooms from £215
A high-end boutique hotel in the charming fishing village of Port Douglas. With beautiful coastal views and a beachfront location, as well as glorious pool and spoiling spa. Varied outdoor activities on offer, such as Great Barrier Reef diving, guided rainforest tours and wildlife park exploration.Beach Life - Has an unrivalled beachside location overlooking Four Mile Beach, the only hotel in Port Douglas with beach and ocean views.Great walks - Go on a guided walk in The Daintree Rainforest. Best appreciated with the perspective of a local knowledgeable guideRestrictions on children - Adult onlyBack to Nature
Niramaya Villas & Spa Port Douglas 30 rooms from £610
Luxury hotel nestled in tropical grounds. A short stroll to Four Mile Beach, with the picturesque Part Douglas village just a little further. With own pool, gym and spa as well as in-house bar and restaurant. A sophisticated base from which to explore the region's natural wonders of reef and jungle.Back to Nature - Port Douglas is located between two World Heritage sites; ancient rain forest and the Great Barrier ReefGreat walks - Many guided or self-guided trails around the coast and rainforestKayaking - Sea-kayaking can be arrangedSailing - Can be booked nearby.