Search the best hotels in Whitsunday Islands
About Whitsunday Islands
There are 74 islands in the Whitsunday Group, sprinkled down the Queensland coast and surrounded by the calm, bright blue waters of the Coral Sea and the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef. Only seven of the islands in the group have accommodation options, ranging from camping on Hook Island to exclusive private island resorts. So don't be put off by the photos of perfect beaches and calm seas, the best places to stay in the Whitsunday Islands come in every price bracket. Most of the Whitsunday Islands are designated national parks (69 of the 74 islands are entirely national park land) - both on and off shore, hence the small number which are inhabited. Hamilton is the most developed, and has its own airport, post office and bank, though most of the island is still free from development and there are some wonderful walking tracks criss crossing it.
What Not To Miss
- Arlie Beach on the mainland is the gateway to the islands and the holiday town.
- Whitsunday Island is home to Whitehaven Beach, famed for its pristine white silica sand, and some of the world's most perfect beaches. As well as the 7kms of Whitehaven, the island has numerous little coves, perfect for parking up your private yacht or charter boat.
- Hook Island is mostly national park too, and is known for its wonderful snorkeling terrain.
- You might also have heart of Heart Reef, a famous heart shaped reef off one of the outlying islands.
- And there's Laguna and Proserpine on the mainland, Laguna for golf and Proserpine for fishing.
Those are just the headlines, though, everywhere you go you'll find tropical island lagoons packed with fish for watching or catching and marine life of all kinds, including around 400 different types of coral. The best places to stay in the Whitsunday Islands are busy year round, so if you want to book one of these, plan well ahead!
- Qualia is a small, stylish resort, offering the ultimate beachside resort experience. As well as the perfect beach, luxury spa and numerous private pools, Qualia is surrounded by lush tropical rainforest - a proper island paradise.
- Hayman Island is a private island resort about three miles by five in size and on the outer edge of the Whitsunday group, right on the reef. Rooms, suites, villas and penthouses are luxurious, each with a balcony looking out to sea.
- An oldie but a goody, the Daydream Island Resort and Spa is a large resort known for family relaxation. There's a choice of spas, pools and restaurants and plenty of opportunities to explore the reef or just relax on the beautiful, white, sandy beaches.
- The Hamilton Island Yacht Club Villas are a collection of luxurious, self contained villas, each with four ensuite bedrooms and kitchen and laundry facilities and all opening out onto the beach with views of the Whitsundays. You're also close to the Hamilton Island Marina.
- The Palm Bay Resort is on Long Island, just off the mainland, and offers luxurious self catering accommodation in light, airy rooms with stunning views.
For an apartment or lodge
- If you'd prefer your own space, then visit our online partner Booking.com for a variety of properties throughout the islands.
- Fly to Brisbane Airport, the major international airport for the region located about 1100km (680 miles) from the Islands. Visitors are then able to take a domestic connecting flight to the Whitsundays.
- Catch a train to the Whitsunday Islands with rail routes including Brisbane and Cairns.
- If you plan to hire a car, for prices we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - whilst the Whitsunday Islands really are a year-round destination, April to June can provide visitors some of the nicest weather for an escape to paradise.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in the Whitsunday Islands,
- Expand your search to include our suggestions in Queensland or Cairns.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Whitsunday Islands
Best Hotels in Whitsunday Islands
Daydream Island Resort and Spa Whitsunday Islands 296 rooms from £97Great walks - In the rainforestViews - Out to reefSailing - Can be booked nearby.Outstanding locationRecommended by - Fodors
Palm Bay Resort Whitsunday Islands from £145On the beach - Private beachfrontBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Views - Great views from hotelOutstanding location
Hayman Island Resort Whitsunday Islands 160 rooms from £392Views - Out to the reefBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Kids Club - Fully staffed.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith
Hamilton Island Yacht Club Villas Whitsunday Islands from £481CoastalFamily SuitesSwimming Pool - Waterfront lagoon pool surrounded by a tropical garden.Diving - Access to the Great Barrier Reef.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Qualia Hamilton Island, Whitsunday Islands 60 rooms from £538Swimming Pool - Private pools in some PavilionsViews - Each Pavilion has a searoomRestrictions on children - Must be 16 or overSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith