Search the best hotels in Graz
Graz is Austria's second largest city. She's been around since Roman times, flourished as a commercial centre in the 12th century, became the capital of Habsburg Austria in the 15th century and is now known of as a place of learning: Graz has six universities. Our pick of the best places to stay in Graz has something for everyone, from the hip and contemporary to the elegant and traditional.
The lively student culture gives this city a relaxed, youthful exuberance - despite her age. There's lots to do in the evening, a wealth of restaurants, bars and cafes to choose from and there are several local breweries.
Graz's age is one of the reasons to visit. As well as modern buildings, Graz has lovely old palaces and plenty of green space to explore. This city is a perfect size to stroll around. You'll never be short on things to see.
The historic centre is probably the best place to stay in Graz. Easily explored on foot, most of the highlights are within the boundaries of the old town.
Despite being under Nazi rule and being surrendered to Soviet troops, Graz escaped major damage during WW2 and the beautiful architecture has helped the old town win a place on the World Heritage list.
Another interesting Graz fact is that Arnold Schwarzenegger was born here!
If you're on a tight budget you'll find that many of the best places to stay in Graz are out from the centre of town. There are plenty of youth hostels around Hauptbanhoff and Rosselmuhlgasse. If you're looking for something simple, clean and reliable, plenty of the best places to stay in Graz can be found around the main station.
What Not To Miss
- Schlossberg, the castle on the hill, around which Graz sprang up, is a good place to start exploring. Catch the funicular if your knees aren't up to the climb. From the top, you'll be rewarded by a wonderful view of pretty red roofs.
- Next up, see the Cathedral of Graz and marvel at the ornate interiors before heading to the impressive domed-roofed Mausoleum of Emperor Ferdinand II, located right next door.
- Schloss Eggenberg is an early Baroque charmer which is also worth visiting for its murals and inlaid wood floors.
- And if you're interested in arms and armour you may want to visit the Armory Zeghaus, which has a really amazing collection.
With so many wonderful sight this is a popular destination so to be sure of staying in one of the best places to stay in Graz do plan and book ahead early.
For contemporary design
If you want to book something edgy and hip then take a look at these:
- Hotel Daniel, sister property to the Daniel in Vienna, boasts all white minimalist rooms, but at a very reasonable rate. Rooms start from only €62 per night.
- Augarten Hotel Art & Design offer spacious light filled rooms, also at very reasonable prices. Check out the roof terrace for stunning city views.
For a traditional feel
- Hotel Wiesler is situated bang in the centre of town and can certainly claim to be one of the best places to stay in Graz purely by taking a look at its guest book....names range from the Rolling Stones to Schwarzenegger!
- The elegant and sophisticated Schlossberg Hotel benefits from sprawling terraced gardens despite its city centre location. It's a good option for families with a wide range of accommodation including suites and apartments.
- Set in a traditional building, Hotel Zum Dom offers contemporary rooms, suites and XL suites which are perfect for group trips (with two bedrooms, large lounges and private balconies.) And, what's more, you're right in the heart of town!
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Graz is nicest weather-wise in the summer, with the average temperature rising to 20°C in July. This however is peak season, so for a quieter (but still warm) alternative consider coming in May or September.
- Visitors can fly into Graz Airport, located 9km south, before taking the bus or the train to the city centre.
- There are unfortunately no direct flights from the UK, so you'll need to head to Vienna Airport before taking a connecting flight.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Graz.
- Widen the net to search through our recommendations in Vienna or Salzburg.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Graz
Best Hotels in Graz
Hotel Daniel Graz Graz 107 rooms from £54Value chicCity StyleSights nearby - 10 mins walk from the centreLively - Hip and happening.
Augarten Hotel Art & Design Graz 57 rooms from £62Views - Stunning views over the city from the roof top terrace.Roof terraceSights nearby - Just a few hundred metres from the city centreRestaurant - Austrian/Mediterranean cuisineRecommended by - Tablet, CN Traveller
Hotel Zum Dom Graz 23 rooms from £69Groups - The larges suites sleep 4.FamiliesPrivate Hot Tub - Book one of the large suites for your private roof terrace with outdoor hot tub.Sights nearby - Situated in the heart of the Old Town
Hotel Wiesler Graz 98 rooms from £86City StyleSights nearby - Bang in the centre of townLocal markets - Good for local colour.Quirky - An experience!Recommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
Schlossberg Hotel Graz 54 rooms from £117City StyleSights nearby - All major sights are easily reachable on foot.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller, Tablet
Gorgeous traditional house with equally elegant interiors. Selection of rooms, suites and self-catering apartments, all with parquet floors, antique furniture, and lots of natural light. Lovely terraces, garden and swimming pool. A romantic choice for couples, families and groups. See More