Search the best hotels in St Wolfgang
About St Wolfgang
A picturesque town lying on the high banks of the Wolfgangsee, St. Wolfgang is full of charm and unrivalled beauty. Once a pilgrimage site, the town nestles in a beautiful setting of mountains and a lake that mirrors the sky. Ideal for couples on a romantic break, its cobbled streets and frescoed houses seem to have been plucked from the illustrations of a children's fairytale book, and the area itself is full of bewitching mystery. With great walks, spellbinding views, horse-drawn carriage rides and rowing on the lake, it is the perfect honeymoon spot or rural getaway, and any of our pick of the best places to stay in St. Wolfgang would provide the ideal accommodation.
Strolling through St. Wolfgang is a pleasure in itself. While the maze of cobbled streets is jam-packed by day, as evening falls the lakeside promenade empties of people: walking by the forested lake, past the rickety old wooden boathouses, is truly stunning. The lake is really the epicentre of town life - you can hire rowing boats for a romantic evening on the waters, or book a ferry to explore a nearby village.
By day, the beautiful frescoed houses lining the narrow streets look gorgeous in the sunlight. After a stroll, be sure to visit one of the pavement cafes for a spot of lunch or coffee - perfect for people-watching! If you're after great views, don't miss the rack and pinion railway at the summit of the Schafberg, an old train service that affords the most beautiful views around.
The town was historically a pilgrimage site. St. Wolfgang founded the town: it is said that while searching, in vain, for a site to build his church - slogging over the steep slopes of the Schafberg - he very nearly gave up and, throwing his axe down the face of the mountain, he serendepitiously found the site, the very place where the axe fell. The ornate 14th century church still remains, brimming with treasures, and is a fascinating place to explore.
What not to miss
- Stroll through the gorgeous town, down the charming cobbled streets, past the old frescoed houses and boathouses!
- Hop on the rack and pinion railway and drink in the gorgeous scenery.
- Visit the Pfarne St. Wolfgang church, a gorgeous 14th century pilgrimage site!
- Book a paddle steamer out to a nearby lakeside village.
- Hire a rowing boat for a romantic evening on the water!
- Enjoy a horse-drawn carriage ride through miles and miles of ancient forestry and lush valleys.
Don't forget that this town is a popular spot. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in St Wolfgang, especially during peak season, you'll need to be organised and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in St. Wolfgang
For Pure luxury
- Cortisen am See is a luxury lakeside hotel offering chic and contemporary rooms, with warm hues and modern art. Guests are spoiled at the award-winning gourmet restaurant and pampered at the extensive spa. Absolutely divine.
For an apartment or chalet
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of chalets and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to visit is during the summer months, when the temperature ranges between 13 and 24 degrees celsius.
- Fly to Salzburg Airport, and get a train to Bad Ischl, from where you can catch a local bus to St. Wolfgang.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in St Wolfgang
Cortisen am See 32 rooms from £200St Wolfgang
A luxurious lakeside property with stunning views. Individually designed rooms with warm hues, contemporary art and spacious uber modern bathrooms. An award-winning restaurant with excellent wine list, ideal for romantic evenings. A spoiling spa and numerous activities on offer. Complete bliss.Romantic Break - A luxury, adult-only, property boasting excellent views over the lake. Ideal for getting away with a loved one.Sailing - There is a nearby sailing school, ask at the hotel for details.Restrictions on children - Adult only property.Full of characterRecommended by - Great Small Hotels , Kiwi Collection