Search the best hotels in Leuven
Leuven is the perfect destination for a weekend break or longer city break. The city is full of history and culture, and is just a short train journey away from Brussels. The best places to stay in Leuven are all within easy reach of the city centre. We have a good range of properties to suit all tastes and budgets from converted historic monasteries to modern serviced apartments, ideal for all travellers whether you're here for business or leisure.
Leuven was once the capital of the Duchy of Brabant and has a long and interesting history. It was also the birthplace of the famed philosopher and mathematician Rene Descartes. It has some beautiful historic buildings, including the world famous St. Peter's Church, which was built in the 13th century, and has been destroyed and rebuilt no less than five times. Stroll around the medieval centre to see the many beautiful buildings, or visit one of the many museums (Museum aan de Stroom — MAS — is definitely worth a trip) for an insight into Leuven's past. For a little light relief from history have a wander around the greenhouses at Hortus Botanicus Leuven!
The city is also home to Belgium's largest university, KU Leuven, which was founded in 1425. There are plenty of bars, cafes and restaurants in Leuven catering to both students and tourists alike.
Leuven is a popular city break destination year round. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay here, do your homework and book well in advance.
The Best places to stay in Leuven
For a Historic Stay
- Martin's Klooster is a historic monastery turned contemporary hotel, right in the centre of town. Spacious rooms are either traditional in the period wing or contemporary in the new extension and many come with a sitting area and spa bath. The Klooster Bar is the perfect setting for pre or post dinner drinks.
- The Fourth Tafelrond is a hotel situated in what was once The Gilds building. It now offers 42 stylish rooms all finished with contemporary Italian design, luxury bed linens and hand selected artworks. Restaurant Tafelrond serves delicious Belgian cuisine with a monthly changing menu.
For a modern hotel
- Pentahotel is the one to book if you're looking for a casually stylish, modern stay in the heart of the city. Rooms are uniformly finished but vary in size, plus there's the Pentalounge for drinks, dining and latenight soirees! A good pick for a youthful vibe.
- The Lodge Heverlee is situated in a historic farmstead just outside the town proper, so it's the ideal choice for anyone who wants to explore Leuven by day, then retreat to a quiet haven at night. In addition to its smart modern accommodations which effortlessly merge contemporary design with period details, you'll find an excellent brasserie and bar.
For a serviced apartment
- Getaway Studios Leuven offers 50 smart studios right in the centre of town. Perfect for business travellers or those on a longer stay, and a good idea for small groups of friends (the largest can sleep up to six) all studios come with equipped kitchenettes and seating areas. What's more, they're excellent value for money too!
- For a further selection of self catering properties, check out the range with our online partner, Booking.com
- Leuven is about half an hour from Brussels Zaventem airport and can be reach easily by bus, train or taxi.
- If you plan to rent a car, we recommend you visit our partner site, Rentalcars
- Leuven is a year round destination, however for the best weather you should time your visit for the summer months when the average daily high is around 20°C.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include properties in Brussels
- Or take a look at our recommendations in other lovely Belgian cities including Ghent and Bruges
- Alternatively you can contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Leuven
Best Hotels in Leuven
Getaway Studios Leuven 49 rooms from £78Families - The serviced apartments give families a comfortable home-away-from-home when travellingLocal exploring - Well placed in the heart of the city with many attractions within walking distanceLocal markets - Stroll through the Grand Place and buy local materials
A selection of modern studio apartments in the heart of Leuven. Spacious areas are simply designed with dark wooden floors, whitewashed walls and minimalist furniture. Studios feature kitchenettes, sofa beds, and smart modern bathrooms. An ideal city crash pad for families or groups. See More
Martin's Klooster Leuven 103 rooms from £113Local exploring - Perfectly positioned in the heart of Leuven with many of the main attractions within walking distanceCity Style - The merging of a historic building with chic contemporary design makes this a stylish city choiceSights nearby - Visit the flamboyant Gothic Stadhuis (town hall)Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A historic monastery converted into a chic contemporary hotel in the heart of Leuven. Spacious rooms divide into classic traditional options in the old building and swish modern rooms in the extension. Snacks and cocktails are served on the terrace and the city's attractions are steps away. See More
Pentahotel Leuven Leuven 103 rooms from £120City Style - A casually stylish and contemporary stay in the heart of the citySights nearby - Visit the ornate 15th-century Stadhuis (town hall) just a short walk from the hotelRestaurant - Recommended.
A smart modern property set in the heart of Leuven. Rooms are uniformly styled but vary in size. Expect black and white photos and crisp white linen standing in stark contrast to the room's dark hues. Downstairs a reception also functions as the bar and there's a brasserie-style restaurant. See More
The Lodge Heverlee Leuven 25 rooms from £126Local exploring - Offering the best of both worlds with easy access to the city's attractions and the pretty surrounding countrysideGreat walks - Take long walks through the Heverlee forest or the Meerdal woodsFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A converted farmstead offering a tranquil retreat within the historic city of Leuven. Wonderfully spacious rooms keep the building's original features with exposed stone walls and beams (the best has a high-domed ceiling) yet the style is clean and contemporary. A stylish and relaxing city base. See More
The Fourth Tafelrond Leuven 44 rooms from £126City Style - Offering both history and style in the heart of the citySights nearby - Visit the nearby City Hall, one of most renowned gothic buildings in the worldRestaurant - Restaurant TafelrondRomantic - Good for couples.
Originally The Guilds building and now a stylish hotel set in the heart of the city. Rooms in contrast to the building are contemporary in style with simple minimalist furniture, wooden floors and floor to ceiling windows. The restaurant is highly acclaimed and the city's attractions are steps away. See More