Search the best hotels in Ambergris Caye
About Ambergris Caye
Famed for its sparkling Caribbean waters and the flourishing Belize Barrier Reef, Ambergris Caye is a tropical island paradise, ideal for spending sun-drenched days lazing on the beach or embarking upon umpteen diving adventures. ‘La Isla Bonita’ is hugely popular, and accommodation options range from simple guesthouses to excellent luxury hotels catering to a whole host of budgets. The best places to stay in Ambergris Caye are right on the beach, and our favourites include a quirky romantic idyll, chic family-friendly villas, and a gorgeous hideaway on a tiny private island of its very own.
The stuff of postcard-perfect dreams, Ambergris Caye is Belize’s top tourist spot, balancing sun-seeking visitors with carefully protecting the largest living coral reef in the Western Hemisphere. Whether you’re an experienced diver or an eager novice, the balmy waters and spectacular underwater world of the reef puts Ambergris Caye amongst the best diving and snorkeling destinations in the world. Marvel at myriad reef sharks and fish flitting between brightly-coloured coral formations at Lighthouse Reef, Half Moon Cay Natural Monument and the renowned Great Blue Hole, amongst a vast array of other spellbinding sites, as you delight in the region's incredible biodiversity.
Above the water, there’s sailing, water-skiing, kayaking and paddle boarding for visitors of all ages to try, as well as cooling dips in the crystal-clear waters. The white-sand beaches of Ambergris Caye are gorgeous for long strolls or sandcastles, and there’s scope for beach volleyball and cricket, too. Take day trips to magical caves and fascinating Mayan ruins, embark on wildlife-spotting walks amidst the verdant jungle and adventurous zip-lining between the treetops.
For art, culture and a vibrant evening scene, head to the island’s main city of San Pedro, where the narrow streets are lined with independent shops, galleries and lively eateries to sample. Whether you’re dreaming of a romantic honeymoon haven or a fun-filled family holiday, Belize’s epic island escape has it all, complete with a classically laid-back Caribbean vibe. The best places to stay in Ambergris Caye promise beautiful sea views, fabulous food and a wealth of activities to try as you soak up the natural wonders of this stunning destination.
The Best Places to Stay in Ambergris Caye
- Xanadu Island Resort is a superb group or family choice, with chic two or three-bedroom suites on the beach just a mile south of San Pedro. There's snorkeling, sailing, diving and fishing to try, as well as kayaks, paddle boards and glass-bottom boats for the whole family to enjoy. The family-friendly packages are ideally tailored to those travelling with little ones, and include heaps of exciting excursions all over the island. A fun, eco-friendly pick!
For Barefoot Luxury
- Victoria House is a striking beachfront property with 42 elegant rooms, suites and villas hidden under thatched roofs. Think cool, earthy tones in the bedrooms, wide verandahs and gorgeous sea views. Paddle around the pool, unwind at the spa and try everything from scuba diving to exploring Mayan ruins. A luxurious pick with some of the world's best diving!
- Las Terrazzas Resort is a blissful beach escape, perfect for travellers in search of barefoot luxury. Expect handcrafted Belizean mahogany furniture and all the mod-cons in spacious suites and fantastic private villas -- some of which offer space for the whole family. Stay here for a whole range of activities, a 70-metre infinity pool and secluded serenity under the swaying palm trees.
- Matachica Resort is a quirky adults-only hideaway with brightly-painted thatched casitas overlooking the sparkling sea and a spa specialising in using local ingredients for natural therapies. Take a private snorkeling tour, explore the island by bicycle, sip cocktails with your toes in the sand or savour fantastic fare at the award-winning Mambo Restaurant. Charming, intimate and romantic - a honeymoon dream!
- Cayo Esperanto boasts just seven luxurious villas for travellers eager to forget that the world beyond the hotel's tiny private island exists. Spend your days floating in your private plunge pool, taking custom diving or yacht tours, and feasting in the world-class restaurant. A restful paradise for honeymooners.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- There are regular international flights to San Pedro Airport, on Ambergris Caye. You can then hop into a taxi or arrange an airport pick up to get to your hotel. For travellers coming from Belize City, there are affordable water taxis across to Ambergris Caye, which take around 1.5 hours.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car. There's lots to see on the island, and having your own transport makes it much easier to get around!
- Most travellers visit Ambergris Caye between January and May, when the weather is at its best -- humid and around 30°C. Be prepared for showers if you visit during the rainy season (June to November). To beat the crowds and make the most of great deals, time your trip for May or June, before the rains begin to fall in earnest.
STILL NOT SURE?
Best Hotels in Ambergris Caye
Xanadu Island Resort Ambergris Caye 8 rooms from £140Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the area surrounding San Pedro as well as the nearby Belize Barrier Reef.Beach Life - Located directly on the beach.Diving - The Belize Barrier Reef is only ten minutes by boat, it's the largest reef in the western hemisphere.Sights nearby - Take a trip to explore nearby Mayan Ruins.
Victoria House Ambergris Caye 42 rooms from £164Beach Life - Step into the island way of life in this luxurious beach fronted property.Diving - Located just minutes from Belize Barrier Reef find some of the best diving in the world.Birdwatching - Ambergris Caye's unique biodiversity makes it a hotbed for numerous species.Sailing - Hire a boat and set out in search of manatees.
A luxury beach-side hotel located on Belize's largest island. Elegant rooms feature four-poster beds, crisp white linen, terracotta tiled floors and simple dark wooden furniture. Choose to lounge on a white sand beach or by a stunning pool. For the active there's plenty to keep all entertained. See More
Las Terrazas Resort & Residences Ambergris Caye 37 rooms from £208Beach Life - Situated on its own private beach, with an onsite dive centre and everything you could dream up about a tropical island paradiseHoneymoons - The perfect intro to wedded bliss- massages, private villas, cocktails on the beach and diving in crystal clear watersWatersports - From diving to kayaking, water bikes to tubing this place has it all only a stones throw awaySights nearby - Rent a golf buggy and zip down the private beach towards the shops and sights in San PedroRecommended by - Fodors, Tablet
A plush resort nestled on its own private beachfront, just a short distance from San Pedro. The private villas are havens of tranquility with elegant furnishings and terraces overlooking the sea or lush gardens. Enjoy fine dining in the restaurant and avail of the numerous facilities on offer. See More
Matachica Resort & Spa San Pedro (BZ), Ambergris Caye from £233Romantic Break - Luxury suites and sublime location make it perfect for a romantic break.Beach Life - Located moments from the waterFishing - Take a fishing trip for barracuda, grouper, snapper, bonefish, porgy, snook, tarpon, permit and jack.Kayaking - Hotel offers sea kayaking exploration.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Alaia Resort San Pedro, Ambergris Caye 155 rooms from £265Roof terrace - Adult's only Vista Rooftop & Lounge - complete with pool - is the country's first rootop bar & home to a fab Asian restaurantSwimming Pool - Three 'wow' options include adult-only rooftop pool with sea views, tropical garden pool & ocean-facing pool with kid's areaBeach Life - Located right on the pristine Mar de Tumbo coastline with private white sandy beach & turqouise sea teeming with wildlifeFamilies - Keep the whole family content with multi-bedroom suites, Kid's Club, amazing array of activities, beach, spa & pools
Super-luxe family-friendly resort on a stunning strip of Caribbean beach. Impressive amenities range from a spa & Kid's Club to endless chic dining options. Spacious rooms, suites & villas designed with a fresh modern palette - many with sea views - are perfect for lazy fly & flop beach breaks. See More
Cayo Espanto Ambergris Caye from £1401Fishing - Fishing trips can be organised by the hotel, including fly fishing for bone fish.Hideaway - Looking for restorative peace and quiet, this could be the place.Diving - Scuba diving can be organised by the hotel.Sights nearby - Take a Mayan Ruin Tour.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith